Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Website design brief

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Solent
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi Soloists
    I have been asked to assist with the ‘management’ of a redesigned website. I have no technical skills at all but operate as a generalist marketer with a passion for brands & strategy.
    I started digging around for a template or direction on how to brief in a web design and unfortunately without much luck. How far to I go, how much do I include, what are the mandatory element of a brief to ensure I get off on the right foot with the designer. Oh and BTW I asked the designer and he simply said send through what you’ve got and we’ll take it from there.
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Newbie Soloist

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

Most times that’s a pretty standard comment that i make to my clients during the web brief. They generally start of pretty vague but with a bit of discussion you start to build up a picture of what the client needs.

If you need any help with your web project, feel free to contact me, or any of us at LemonChip.

PerfectNotes-Kathy
    • Total posts: 500
    Up

Well, while he may have said to send through what you’ve got, the more you’ve got the better!
    There are many threads on here – and other places – about designs ‘going bad’. This is frequently because the customer had a vague idea of what they wanted and had difficulty clarifying that with the designer, leading to clashing of heads further down the path.
    So – I would recommend documenting as much as you know (or have a fair idea about) before talking to the designer. If nothing else, that will give the designer a better idea of the things you want and the direction you want the redesign to take, which has to be helpful.
    Then you sit down and talk about it, to get input from the designer on the stuff they are good at.
    And we can also help you – feel free to post questions on here or send me a PM.
    Good luck!
    Kathy

Mitch
    • Total posts: 30
    Up

Im redoing a website right now too.

The best way to research this is find out what other people are asking for.

This is easiest done on rentacoder.com (now vworker.com)
    Search for open jobs on website design and you can see exactly what other more experienced people are asking for. When you find a new piece of terminology research it, find out what it is and decide if you want it too.

Thats what im doing now.

Mitch

dasinfomedia
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Hi,

I am in the IT industry and I think the best way to go for the brief is
    (1) to create a wire frame model and list the requirements for the designer.
    (2) Wireframe is a general structure of any web page like log on top left, search on top right, middle content are with left and right column and footer.
    (3) You should look for the site’s compititor within the same industry and you can grab the current trend which will help you in creating wireframe
    (4) Requirement can be worked out from the original site, client communication and some research on most popular sites.

Re,
    Dhaval

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

Since you are looking at templates I assume this is a low budget site?

Wire frame it.
    Write a site map.
    Write as much content in word as possible.

High end people will do this as a matter of course but lower end people won’t as it costs money (Not as much as getting it wrong though)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.