Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Website design failing? Please help review!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Absolute Bargain
    • Total posts: 14
    Up
    ::

Hi Guys

I have opened my store for purchasing for a few weeks now and have been getting some customers coming in to check my website out through PPC and Facebook Ads but the conversion is very low.

My website is absolutebargain.com.au.

One of the reason I believe is because of my website design – it looks too plain. This is my opinion and would like some honest reviews. I welcome all positive and negative feedback.

Because I am not getting much sales, I have stopped all marketing campaign until I know the reason why this is happening which is very frustrating but any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

James

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi James

Brave post!!! Understand what you are asking though :)

Although i am not a guru on web sites, design, architecture, back end, online marketing or anything else really i thought i would add a few consumer based comments.. Hope that is ok?

Site feel:
    You state it may be to plain, really i do not see that as an issue personally.. there are lots of images and items on the front page, although is there a clear call to action? other than pricing..

I found it easy to navigate, liked the products and pricing… The clean front end look was sleek and potentially, i feel, in line with the product offerings…

Site picks:
    Use of strong terms such as “Always the lowest prices” sort of implies you always have the lowest prices in the market although this is a VERY BOLD statement and most people would identify it is the ‘lowest price you can offer’.

Make a difference with your shopping = great idea for sustainable support of the community although if you can afford to contribute 10% of the profits, are the prices on your web site really the lowest prices you could be offering? Most people would prefer that they saved the money, sorry to say that.. maybe you would be best to BLOG about your donations, when they are done, and celebrate them in and with the community on social platforms rather than on the front page of the web site that may put some people off? just a thought…

Below are just some points you may want to review or consider as may be hindering some buyers if they look closely at your web site..
    1. You have no address or phone number: this really does not add to the sense of trust on a site that is actually selling quite valuable items… Why would someone buy from your site, say a $2400 macbook (and i just bought one at a retail site and would not consider buying from this site) as opposed to a retail shop that is ‘secure’?

2. Do you feel that your name (absolutebargain) sort of contradicts the high end marketing campaigns of the products you are representing? such as apples? most buyers of apple products are actually not traditionally chasing bargain products from research i have seen and watched…

3. Your returns policy hurts a little.. you advise that there is a restock fee of 15% or $35, whichever is lower, which could hurt people on the tip of buying…

4. There are also 2 tabs on your top menu bar (home living and outdoor) that are empty :( this never looks good.. i dont think..

5. just a comment, your logo looks familiar.. is there something similar out there, like an online shopping (grocery) service…

6. ME293.. not sure if it carries across all products, although when i click in this product you have a on the right hand column a list of (what i think is meant to be featured products – or add on sales) what is termed “Products which is similar to this one:” and looking at a laptop i thought other computers would be in there but it has USB’s + keyboards which are not similar products to an apple laptop…

Sorry, written a bit but gotta fly and didnt want to lose what was posted..

Just one other small comment, i think with the products you offer that it may pay to have a CMS guru cast there eyes over the design and just tweak the menu layout including font sizes and all that.. it just appears a little large, or awkward or not quite free flowing as expected.. again i am no guru, just user comment..

Sometimes i am not to clear, if you want more info about what i have said please ask as always happy to try and help out :)

Look forward to reading what others have to add.. i always learn from these posts for my own sites which is why i truly appreciate you asking – as it benefits the community as a whole…

Speak soon and let us know how you get on..

Cheers
    Jason ;)

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hey Mate

mmmm,,, ok this must be the logo i am remembering.. be interesting to see what others think about logo as well..

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

It’s not your design.

OK, if you were selling fashion … furniture etc, where visual impact is perhaps part of the package, I’d agree … but, USB sticks and gadgets?

Your site is easy to navigate, has clear info, and looks professionally built. It even has some relevant content in all the right places.

Would I buy off your site? Probably not.

I might take a punt on one of your cheaper lines, if I knew the market price and you were killing it (the price), and I couldn’t be bothered walking into the nearest widget shop … but anything else, no.

Heres, a few things that would put me off;

NO ONE to contact.

Like Jason, I’ve just placed an order for a specced up Macbook. There is no way I would spend that sort of money unless I new where to send a hit man, or my lawyer, if you screwed me around. May be there’s people out there with money to burn, but your price differential is not great enough for me to move away from the “trust factor” of working with Apple themselves.

While I like your design, you have empty categories in your menus. That screams “amateur” at me … I don’t think it would take long to find a site selling similar stock that had more polish.

Your “terms” while understandable, make it very clear that you are assuming NO risk, but you’re asking me to use my credit card, and trust you to send me stuff ??

Sorry, if it all sounds a bit tough, but I continually see similar sites on here … found a way to buy cheap at wholesale (often, common as mud product lines) prices, make a pretty site, add a margin, make money.

I’m not a retailer, but I am a consumer … that’s my 2cents. Hope you get it working profitably.

Cheers

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

I agree with the the guys above, your site is nice, easy to navigate etc.

People need to get to know you, this is why I suggested the You Tube videos.

You can create a whole audience via the videos you produce.

Promote – Promote – Promote and grow your audience using as much of the free social media that you can until you can gauge what is working and then go for some paid promotions.

Video example: Chinese manufacturing of wheels for a triathlon bike “yoeleo wheels” – This company puts VERY detailed videos and has very detailed customer reviews and a great following because of it.

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

Likely a trust issue.

You’re selling $2,500 television sets and you don’t even have a physical location or phone number listed.

Absolute Bargain
    Up

Thank you for all the awesome feedback guys, really appreciate it.

I believe you guys are all right about the ‘trust’ part of my website and this is where I see it lacking. I did not want to put my phone number as I work full time and do not want constant calls while during office hours, that is why I tried to stick it to email only. The address I will definitely put on my website.

Thank Jason for the great advice. Loved your site btw. The statement ‘Always the lowest price’ is not saying that it is the lowest price in the market, there is no way I can guarantee that but saying that my prices are at the lowest all the time so no big discounts except during clearance sales. Not sure if this will work because a lot of other websites has massive 20% off or BUY NOW call to actions which I dont.

I came up with the name Absolute Bargain because when people find a great deal they would usually say ‘what an absolute bargain’, or that is what I normally say anyway. I do get comments saying that the name suggests low quality products but my view was that it tells people where to go to get the best bargains regardless of brand.

estim8 – Thanks for the good feedback too. It always good to get an idea on what the consumer thinks as that is what’s most important.

Miss Sassy – You are right about the youtube videos. I had one created that talks about my business and had it placed on my blog. I believe youtube is very important especially that Google bought them over and looks highly at it in terms of SEO? I might be wrong.

John – Spot on, I feel the same.

It always feel horrible when you put all the effort and it does not convert but you are not really sure why, but it is great to get some feedback on ways to improve.

Really appreciate it guys. Cheers

James

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

I would suggest getting a phone number that can go to an answering service – I really doesn’t matter that you can’t answer it. You message just must reflect the answer of when you will get back to them.
    For example:
    “Hi we are busy packing orders and always return calls between 12-1pm”

Then perhaps in your lunch break you can return calls.

Yes the video’s will help with your SEO and there are all types of things that you can attach – the SEO wizards on here may help you.
    Mostly though they will give you a face!

Your hard work will pay off – just don’t expect it to happen over night, especially when you are working elsewhere full time. Things always take longer than expected so be patient.

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

Instead of just taking “feedback”, look at what your data tells you.

1. Where is your traffic coming from (referral traffic)
    2. How long are people staying on your site? (engagement time)
    3. What are your bounce rates?
    4. Where are people “exiting” your site? (exit pages)
    5. What pages are they actually looking at?
    6. Are they making it to the check out?
    7. Where are they clicking?

You need to look at your data, and answer questions like these in order to determine what’s going on, why it’s broken and how best to fix it.

Question – You said you’re not getting “much sales”, out of the sales you HAVE gotten…

1. Where did the sales originate from?
    2. What made them buy?
    3. Did you follow up to ask?

I can tell you right now, the biggest issue here is definitely trust.

It doesnt make any sense to me buy from “Absolute Bargain”, when I know I can buy confidently from say Hervey Norman, Dick Smith or Tandy.

One way to overcome this is via building credibility and trust.

1. Shoot videos DEMONSTRATING your product. (have it in your hands)
    2. Show your physical location/store
    3. Publish a contact address
    4. Phone number
    5. Staff photos

Here’s the biggest tip I can give you…..

Treat your online business the SAME as you would an offline business.

By the way, change that logo. Not having a go at you, but it looks like something a 12 year old put together in MS paint.

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    Absolute Bargain, post: 182800 wrote:
    Thank you for all the awesome feedback guys, really appreciate it.

I believe you guys are all right about the ‘trust’ part of my website and this is where I see it lacking. I did not want to put my phone number as I work full time and do not want constant calls while during office hours, that is why I tried to stick it to email only. The address I will definitely put on my website.

Thank Jason for the great advice. Loved your site btw. The statement ‘Always the lowest price’ is not saying that it is the lowest price in the market, there is no way I can guarantee that but saying that my prices are at the lowest all the time so no big discounts except during clearance sales. Not sure if this will work because a lot of other websites has massive 20% off or BUY NOW call to actions which I dont.

I came up with the name Absolute Bargain because when people find a great deal they would usually say ‘what an absolute bargain’, or that is what I normally say anyway. I do get comments saying that the name suggests low quality products but my view was that it tells people where to go to get the best bargains regardless of brand.

estim8 – Thanks for the good feedback too. It always good to get an idea on what the consumer thinks as that is what’s most important.

Miss Sassy – You are right about the youtube videos. I had one created that talks about my business and had it placed on my blog. I believe youtube is very important especially that Google bought them over and looks highly at it in terms of SEO? I might be wrong.

John – Spot on, I feel the same.

It always feel horrible when you put all the effort and it does not convert but you are not really sure why, but it is great to get some feedback on ways to improve.

Really appreciate it guys. Cheers

James

James

You’ve had some excellent feedback. but it is interesting, because in your opening sentence, you explain why you don’t want to put your phone number on the site.

A phone number on a site doesn’t mean you’ll get a lot of calls, but it does mean that you are a real person, and have a real identity. Trust.

There are a lot of tweaks you could make to your site. Here are some suggestions:

1. reduce your menus to 6 or below. Too many means too many choices.
    2. what is the #1 task the stranger needs to accomplish when they come to your site? I can see about 10 tasks, drop it down. Way to much going on.
    3. where are you losing them? Do they go through to the cart? Or are they bouncing out from the home page?
    4. what ads are you running and who are you targetting. A bad ad campaign with lots of bounce can really hurt your SEO/ Google ranking. Be very careful you are targetting correctly
    5. About Us page — who are you. We buy from people we Know, Like and Trust. You can accomplish this much better on this page. It is too much ‘company’ and not enough ‘relationship’.
    6. warranties and returns — there is a whole lot of text on this page, way too much and it is likely to totally put people off. do you get exits at this page?
    7. you need more on your product pages. shipping info. testimonials to build trust and to give a little push to get the sale. etc.

That is it for a starter.

I do have a series of website reviews if you are interested, you’d pick up a lot of tips from them.

Jenny

Absolute Bargain
    Up

WOW! I am really appreciating everyone’s comments – made 2 pages of notes for myself!

Miss Sassy – I think you are right. As long as the number calls through and I call them back when I am available (without leaving it too long), I think that is okay.

John – I am currently using Google Analytic but am only trying to get use to all the data there but is definitely something I need to investigate in depth to find the root cause.

Jenny – Hi Jenny, really appreciate your comments too. Didin’t realise that a bad ad campaign can hurt SEO. Need to read up on this!

Trust is definitely something I need to prove and to ensure anyone who comes to the website feels comfortable and know its real. This has been a very good learning lesson in web design. Loving it!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.