Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Website design opinions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    jezz1988
    • Total posts: 35
    Up
    ::

Hey all

Designed up a new website for my Graphic and Webdesign business, need some opinions of the design and layout of the site.

http://jpcallandesigns.com/

Cheers

Jeremy Callan

Rball
    • Total posts: 136
    Up

To be honest I found it to be bland. For a web/graphic designer I would want to see things pop a bit more. After all, your own website is what potential customers will judge you on.

ScarlettR
    • Total posts: 396
    Up

Hi Jeremy,

As always, take the critique that you feel works best for you, leave the rest! This is just my opinion:

I’m with Rball on this one, the site really needs to be brightened up.

The colour scheme you’ve gone with, to me, say ‘funeral’. Your tag line ‘illuminate your imagination’ is not supported by anything in your design. Where is the illumination? Where’s the bright, the happy, the inspired?

The background: Damask backgrounds used to be really cool, and now they’re very yesterday.

Typography: There is nothing on this page that interacts with me, the audience. There’s no hierarchy when it comes to the design and layout of your text. It’s flat and bland and I don’t want to read any of it. This is also an issue with your navigation, almost disappearing into the rest of the site.

Navigation: About seems to be the same page as the index. No information about you or your background?

Copy: Use these : instead of these ;. ‘Use a colon [ : ] before a list or an explanation that is preceded by a clause that can stand by itself.’ Source

MOST IMPORTANTLY: NO CALL TO ACTION. Now I’m here… what do you want me to do?

Overall: I would rethink the colour scheme and brighten it right up. Don’t be afraid to go minimal white, but if you do your typography is really going to have to be up to scratch. I like the lightbulb and what it represents but its impact is really diluted by the rest of the design.

ShanDesign
    • Total posts: 67
    Up

Hi Jeremy,

Starting up can be quite daunting, particularly if you don’t have a whole lot of experience/pieces in your portfolio. Make your website a portfolio piece in itself.

Have a look at other websites (not necessarily design places) and see what works, what doesn’t and what engages you. There is no right or wrong but definitely take on board some of the comments here, that is some great advice by ScarlettR. You want visitors to be engaged and wanting to see more.

Best of luck!

jezz1988
    Up

[ATTACH]449.vB[/ATTACH]

So ive gone back to the drawing board with the site and this is what I came up with.

ShanDesign
    • Total posts: 67
    Up

Hi Jeremy,

This is definitely a step in the right direction. The hierarchy of text and the background colour are good. The light bulb really stands out, nice.

ScarlettR
    Up

Huge improvement Jeremy! I’d do away with that shadow top right. The typography has improved immensely. But still needs a call to action :)

I might also try an alternate colour in there to break the intense green. How would it look even just having a flat, nice green, background, no gradient? Simple is beautiful, and your type will stand out really well against it.

Well done!

jezz1988
    Up

[ATTACH]451.vB[/ATTACH]

Here is another design layout that ive been working on today, thoughts?

jezz1988
    Up
    jezz1988, post: 159788 wrote:
    [ATTACH]451[/ATTACH]

Here is another design layout that ive been working on today, thoughts?

the box on the right would be where the folio and contact info content would be

ScarlettR
    Up

Nice layout! I like it.

What will you be doing to the text on the right to create hierarchy and follow through for the reader?

jezz1988
    Up
    ScarlettR, post: 159807 wrote:
    Nice layout! I like it.

What will you be doing to the text on the right to create hierarchy and follow through for the reader?

I was thinking maybe bold more important parts with a different colour? or italics though that looks abit cheapish

jezz1988
    Up

http://jpcallandesigns.com/

Here is the online updated website, please opinions are welcome

martin.firth
    • Total posts: 259
    Up

Hi there,

I’ll be blunt here and say that I don’t like your site at all. People will expect a high standard from your website than ANY other type of site. Let me make some points for improvement.

Your list items must be part of an ordered or unordered list element. This is HTML 101 and tells me that you’re not a very experienced coder. This is reinforced by the fact that none of your images have ALT tags specified. You have also closed the body tag twice.

The blue colour you have on your links is pure blue, and is what browsers use as default when no other style is specified. People associate this colour with unstyled sites.

Your background image doesn’t take up the whole screen for me. You need to make it bigger, fade out, or repeat.

You have over-used gradients, the site has no texture. Changing the background to some kind of subtle texture will HUGELY improve your site.

The logo and links take up 60% of the screen. I don’t think you are prioritizing your content very well.

You have set overflow on the page to hidden, which prevents me from scrolling. I can only see half of your site without resorting to web trickery

You have used too many fonts and variations.

Your pricing could be set out in a more presentable way. Either tabular, or graphical. Seems lazy just to type it out into a sentence.

Your about page just links to the index. Your contact page would ideally have a contact form on it.

A Yahoo email address? You are a web designer, you can’t operate with a yahoo address, you have your own domain.

To summarise, you shouldn’t be in this business. That sounds harsh, but your designs are poor and your coding is appalling. I find it really upsetting that you count yourself in the same profession as mine. By all means work on your craft, but don’t try to sell it until you have something worth selling.

– Martin

ScarlettR
    Up

Jeremy- I think you’ve come a long way in improving your site. However your layout doesn’t work for smaller screens as, when the browser window is reduced, I can’t scroll down to read the rest of the text.

I think it does still need some more thought in the typography, Martin brought up a lot of good points in your coding and layout. See how others have done it and follow their examples.

Martin: I agree with your initial thoughts, however your final statement is really very harsh. Instead of just saying he shouldn’t be a web designer, why not share with him some good resources you’ve found along the way that helped you? Do you know of any books, courses, websites or articles that can help Jeremy on his coding and design?

OneArmedGraphics
    • Total posts: 314
    Up
    embersketch, post: 160484 wrote:
    To summarise, you shouldn’t be in this business. That sounds harsh, but your designs are poor and your coding is appalling. I find it really upsetting that you count yourself in the same profession as mine. By all means work on your craft, but don’t try to sell it until you have something worth selling.

– Martin

Appalling delivery there, am sorry to see such a statement in this community.

This forum has this text appear when you hit reply:

Note to reviewers: Always remember the Golden Rule of these forums: R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

I hope you can remember that in future.

Robbie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.