Home – New Forums Selling online Website dilemma!! Help!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    AlanaC
    • Total posts: 20
    Up
    ::

Hi Guys,

I’ve got myself in a bit of a situation and don’t know how to get out! So here it is:

A friend from school now runs a website developing hosting business so I went through him as I thought I could trust him and he would give me a good deal! I’ll start off by saying at this stage I haven’t paid him a dime (he insists on doing it at the end). I did get a quote off him however and it was reasonable.

He has got my domain name and now has created my webpage and when I type it in it says hosted by blah blah blah under construction. But everytime I go to discuss actually getting it up and running he never replies or says hes doing it this week and never does! (this has been going on for 2 months!) I’m getting quite frustrated as I am now ready to sell but cant! I was looking into just creating a shopify account but how do I go about getting my domain back and changing it all over etc – I’m a real rookie and not sure how all this will work.

He has also set me up with an email address.

Very unsure on how to proceed. I really need to start selling ASAP!
    :confused:

help4bis.com
    • Total posts: 268
    Up

This is how it works.
    Be friends before you start a business, you are doomed to lose one or the other. I have experiences in that.

Have a business and then become friends, not a problem.

Websites etc often done by mates of mates… but when it comes to business sites… and making money…. go with someone who does it do for a living (like us :-)). They simply cannot afford to let you down.

H

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

Yuck, this sounds messy.

Is the domain in his name?

help4bis.com
    Up
    John Romaine, post: 194210 wrote:
    Yuck, this sounds messy.

Is the domain in his name?

Good question… sounds like it is as he has registered the domain.

AlanaC
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

I have just looked this up and yes it is registered in his company’s name

I assume this is going to be a lot harder now!

help4bis.com
    Up
    AlanaC, post: 194219 wrote:
    I have just looked this up and yes it is registered in his company’s name

I assume this is going to be a lot harder now!

if it is a .com.au you can raise a case that it should be yours.

if it is a .com you need to become good friends with him and have it transfered into your name.

The quickest way is to get a new domain.
    You can do businessname.net.au if someone already owns your domain.
    You can do businessname.com if that one is not registered as yet.

garysvpa
    • Total posts: 61
    Up

I think it would be difficult to get the site back. How about creating your own domain now? For the technical side, if you just want a one time transaction (to create the site), you can get someone from Fiverr.com for only $5. If you want someone to maintain the site, you can hire from Odesk or Elance.

If you have time you can learn to build the site yourself too, so you wont have a problem if your IT person leaves.

help4bis.com
    Up
    garysvpa, post: 194352 wrote:
    I think it would be difficult to get the site back. How about creating your own domain now? For the technical side, if you just want a one time transaction (to create the site), you can get someone from Fiverr.com for only $5. If you want someone to maintain the site, you can hire from Odesk or Elance.

If you have time you can learn to build the site yourself too, so you wont have a problem if your IT person leaves.

True there are a lot of good people on fiverr…. but generally for one time transaction.
    Odesk and Elance are good sources for experts (we get a lot of work from there). The issue is still.
    A site needs somewhere to live, odesk/elance/fiverr does not provide that.
    A site needs to be managed, odesk/elance/fiverr do have resources on that who do that but generally once offs. Not on a monthly basis.

I think an IT guy is needed that allows for learning, growth and development… as it so happens i know such a guy :-) Wink wink.

We always recommend that the customer registers their domains in their name, we do the hard work and all the customer has to do is press pay and it is theirs. If not we walk them through the process. It is key that a business owns its IP and Information, as that is where the money sits…. not the products….not the brick and mortar…. the IP and information (eg customer list).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.