Home – New Forums Tech talk Website Displaying Narrow on Search Engines

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    ExecAccess
    • Total posts: 229
    Up
    ::

Hi All
    Just wondered if anyone can give me a tip to fix an annoying problem (for someone aging eyes!).

Just got a new PC with Windows 7. Was using a PC with Vista but using it in Windows format not Vista format.

Loving my new PC and its lovely 23″ monitor however when I visit any websites they only fill the middle of the screen and there is a large “margin” to both sides. I did have a similar size monitor on my old PC and websites filled the whole screen.

Probably a simple fix….but I cant find it!

Thanks in advance.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

You might be ‘zoomed out’ ?

try pressing CTRL and ‘0’ at the same time
    or CTRL and + at the same time

edit : I just thought. I’m not sure what you do in Internet Explorer to do the same thing, try looking in the menu items?

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

edit : I just thought. I’m not sure what you do in Internet Explorer to do the same thing, try looking in the menu items?

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Most websites are built for a small screen and will show a margin on both size when using a large screen. Therefore they appear in the middle of the browser with lots of free space in the margins.

Otherwise, people who have small screens would need to scroll to the right to see the entire website.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Most websites are built for a small screen and will show a margin on both size when using a large screen. Therefore they appear in the middle of the browser with lots of free space in the margins.

Otherwise, people who have small screens would need to scroll to the right to see the entire website.

ExecAccess
    Up
    JohnTranter, post: 112219 wrote:

Thanks John – that did work. However where there is a section of the website with a changing image (Flash) the box where the image expanded along with the website, but not the image itself.

ExecAccess
    Up
    JohnTranter, post: 112219 wrote:

Thanks John – that did work. However where there is a section of the website with a changing image (Flash) the box where the image expanded along with the website, but not the image itself.

ExecAccess
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 112220 wrote:

Thanks Matthew. I did wonder about that. But they were all showing fine on my similarly sized screen on the old PC so I wondered if it was a Windows 7 thing.

ExecAccess
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 112220 wrote:

Thanks Matthew. I did wonder about that. But they were all showing fine on my similarly sized screen on the old PC so I wondered if it was a Windows 7 thing.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

I would imagine that your old PC screen was not as fine a screen as your new one. The new one would have display properties of a higher value, which means that there are more pixels, which gives a finer quality view.

For example, your old large monitor may only have shown 1280 pixels wide, but your new one might be 1920 pixels wide which is HD.

This would mean that websites that appear one size on the old monitor, will appear smaller on the new one by default.

You could always change the zoom on all your web pages. As I use a Mac, I’m not sure of the PC settings – but if it’s Explorer, then there should be a View/zoom setting.

Cheers.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

I would imagine that your old PC screen was not as fine a screen as your new one. The new one would have display properties of a higher value, which means that there are more pixels, which gives a finer quality view.

For example, your old large monitor may only have shown 1280 pixels wide, but your new one might be 1920 pixels wide which is HD.

This would mean that websites that appear one size on the old monitor, will appear smaller on the new one by default.

You could always change the zoom on all your web pages. As I use a Mac, I’m not sure of the PC settings – but if it’s Explorer, then there should be a View/zoom setting.

Cheers.

ExecAccess
    Up
    KarenC, post: 112265 wrote:

Cheers.

Thank you Karen!

ExecAccess
    Up
    KarenC, post: 112265 wrote:

Cheers.

Thank you Karen!

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up

The answers you have received are really good, especially Karen’s.

Just wanted to add that keeping the zoom in your web browser set at other than 100% on a regular basis is bad for reasons you have already discovered – ie some objects such as some flash won’t resize properly. Better to get your resolution to where you are happy with it.

You change your resolution to suit what you prefer if you aren’t happy – this means everything is bigger on your screen but you can fit less on! I’ve generally found that most graphic designers, and tech savvy people run a high resolution, but many less savvy home users opt for a lower resolution by preferance (so everything is bigger). To change this you need to go into your display properties of your computer.

Personally i’d never go back to a lower resolution, so give it a go and you may get used to it – and remember, you don’t have to run your browser full screen if you don’t want. But if you really don’t like it, set your resolution downwards is usually better than relying on the zoom, although of course this affects everything not just web browsing.

Hope this adds something,
    Matt

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up

The answers you have received are really good, especially Karen’s.

Just wanted to add that keeping the zoom in your web browser set at other than 100% on a regular basis is bad for reasons you have already discovered – ie some objects such as some flash won’t resize properly. Better to get your resolution to where you are happy with it.

You change your resolution to suit what you prefer if you aren’t happy – this means everything is bigger on your screen but you can fit less on! I’ve generally found that most graphic designers, and tech savvy people run a high resolution, but many less savvy home users opt for a lower resolution by preferance (so everything is bigger). To change this you need to go into your display properties of your computer.

Personally i’d never go back to a lower resolution, so give it a go and you may get used to it – and remember, you don’t have to run your browser full screen if you don’t want. But if you really don’t like it, set your resolution downwards is usually better than relying on the zoom, although of course this affects everything not just web browsing.

Hope this adds something,
    Matt

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.