Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Website failing against Competitor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    DreamscanbeVisions
    • Total posts: 284
    Up
    ::

Hi guys I’m a 19yr old uni student entering the entrepreneurial path!

I’ve recently created a website selling Sea buckthorn oil & have competitor raking in loads of traffic daily & I’m assuming they have great turnovers.

I had a very small 3 day google adwords campaign & I sold 10 products to 4 different customers.

My question is what does the competitor have that I don’t have ?

Competitor: http://www.siberiantigernaturals.com

My Site: http://www.ethicalcare.com.au

By the way I’m not in the business game to “maximise profits” like every business is out there to do. I’m out there to help people efficiently & I’ve got plans for the future however the beginning doesn’t seem to be so pleasing as I was at a slight loss after the campaign with AdWords due to a very low conversion rate.

P.S On a side note I’m currently in the process of having images of the product up shorty but surely that’s not the reason why people aren’t purchasing is it ?

Thanks for your responses as I greatly appreciate any good or bad feedback. The worse the feedback the better ’cause than I know I have heaps of ways to improve and increase conversion!

DreamscanbeVisions
    Up

is it really that bad ?

ignore the fact there’s no image of the product as professional photos will be taken in a few days.

Any opinions at all though ?

I’m targetting females between 30-50 age bracket as a teen male I’d appreciate some help.

Craig_Longmuir
    • Total posts: 556
    Up

dont think i have ever bought a physical product that i had not at least seen an image of before…!

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Hi – please remember that you have posted at a time when not many people are viewing the site and you will probably get more responses during the week.

You have a lot of grammar errors on your website. For example
    Sea buckthorn the only plant in the world. Containing sufficient amounts of a hidden treasure, Palmitoleic acid.
    should be
    Sea buckthorn is the only plant in the world that contains sufficient amounts of a hidden treasure, Palmitoleic acid.

As someone else has mentioned, people like to ‘see’ or ‘view’ the product – so photos and/or a small video would be good.

Your competitor’s site also begins with ‘discover’, ‘learn how …’ which helps the prospective customer in understanding the product.

Cheers.

JaneB
    • Total posts: 324
    Up

Non-techie opinion:

Your website has all kinds of things which are offputting. It seems evident that English is not your first language – there are many spelling errors and grammatical errors which immediately make it harder to read. Perhaps you could get someone who is a stickler for correct English to take a look.

What does TPG Australian Compliant mean?

Do you mean that it has met the approval of the Therapeutic Goods Association? (TGA). I doubt this. As far as I can see all TGA has done is list it under a section called “Approved Terminology for Medicines – Herbal substances index of common names”. If I’m wrong and there is a specific approval then put it on the website with a lot of detail including the approval number and date.

Be very careful making claims involving the FDA as well. This is a big and powerful USA government organisation and it is a very serious thing to use its name if there has not been an actual process of specific approval granted. If you can find evidence that the product you are selling has been approved as dietary supplement then list that detailed information. However I doubt that this has been done since the FDA, last I knew, doesn’t offer approvals for dietary supplements.

Get the English seen to, make sure the claims you make on the website are honest, get some good images and you should be on a better path to success.

DreamscanbeVisions
    Up

Okay thanks for the responses & yeah english is not my primary language but I can see I’ve got more wrong than just the grammar.

Should I be educating the audience more before actually trying to sell them the product ?

If someone can give a brief list of everything that needs to be fixed it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again for the responses.

Michael [The Mac Experts]
    • Total posts: 40
    Up

Disclaimer: The only oil I’ve ever bought was the cricket oil for my cricket bat when I was 14, so I likely have no idea what I am talking about here.

But!

I think you’re biggest hurdle to get over with selling an ointment online is are you selling crap?

If I was to buy some type of ointment online (mind you: I probably wouldn’t be! :p, but that’s beside the point) I would pick the site hands over fist every time that had a personal side to it.

That is, get a friend who can take some photos. Get some shirts made up with your logo (just go el-cheapo, after all the pictures won’t be that detailed) and get some photos of the products with ‘you’ and your ‘customers’ holding the product.

If I can see you, the product, and a few happy customers – I will feel a lot better about buying the product. Put a face to the product, and I’ll feel a hell lot more confident buying snake oil online.

Then, if you’re playing with Google ad-words and campaigns. Design a few different versions of your front page. All with a lot less clutter and information and stick to ONE SINGLE point why customers should buy your product. Looking around the Google tools, there are ways to trial run different variations of site designs and find out what message works.

Oh, and find out what search terms lead to your product – and find ONE SINGLE point that directly leads from those search terms to a sale.

For example, if people were landing on your site because they were selling “acne treatment” then ensure your click thru on that search term hits the user with one simple message: Sea buckthorn oil will help Acne suffers!

DreamscanbeVisions
    Up
    macexperts_michael, post: 69727 wrote:
    Disclaimer: The only oil I’ve ever bought was the cricket oil for my cricket bat when I was 14, so I likely have no idea what I am talking about here.

But!

I think you’re biggest hurdle to get over with selling an ointment online is are you selling crap?

If I was to buy some type of ointment online (mind you: I probably wouldn’t be! :p, but that’s beside the point) I would pick the site hands over fist every time that had a personal side to it.

That is, get a friend who can take some photos. Get some shirts made up with your logo (just go el-cheapo, after all the pictures won’t be that detailed) and get some photos of the products with ‘you’ and your ‘customers’ holding the product.

If I can see you, the product, and a few happy customers – I will feel a lot better about buying the product. Put a face to the product, and I’ll feel a hell lot more confident buying snake oil online.

Then, if you’re playing with Google ad-words and campaigns. Design a few different versions of your front page. All with a lot less clutter and information and stick to ONE SINGLE point why customers should buy your product. Looking around the Google tools, there are ways to trial run different variations of site designs and find out what message works.

Oh, and find out what search terms lead to your product – and find ONE SINGLE point that directly leads from those search terms to a sale.

For example, if people were landing on your site because they were selling “acne treatment” then ensure your click thru on that search term hits the user with one simple message: Sea buckthorn oil will help Acne suffers!

hey thanks alot i really like your idea with having a few printed shirts with people helping customers that’s a really cool idea!

I’ve updated the site big time & would love to get some reviews on the overal presentation, professionalism & design of the website.

RaspberryBlack
    • Total posts: 47
    Up

Hi,

You sound like you would appreciate honest feedback so I’ll just speak frankly. (I’m very sceptical about any product promising me anything so I would be hard to convince as customer.)
    I’ve spent about half a minute scanning your site and trying to find any information (which is at least three times more than the average google-ad-clickee) and failed completely.
    I didn’t even see your three main links (not to mention the small navigation penned up on the top right corner) but scrolled down all the way and pretty sure gave more attention to the background…

To improve on some really offputting points you should:
    • De-clutter the information you give: one point at a time as it has been said before and try to concentrate on a few strong points overall otherwise it might easily sound like “too good to be true”. Organise your site-structure so everything can be easily found and makes sense. Like: What is it? What is it good for and why? How do I use it? Educate your customers in a friendly way and dont overwhelm them with too many information (that is text as well as visuals) at once.

• Have another thought or two about your design: you tend to pull all attention away from the important parts (background rather than content, the 100% natural/organic headings rather than what it actually does and so on). Admittedly you competitor doesn’t look much better and I really don’t want to read that text-desert they give. But at least I can find the navigation. Products like this would need a really outstanding professional design and content to convince me (so I wouldn’t buy from your competitor either).

• Try and find everything that could put off your potential customer from clicking the buy-it button (starting with the fact that I couldn’t find that button): “Does it really work?”-> have testimonials on your site, give free or low coast samples, link to extern professional and (maybe most important) independent website describing products like this. “What if I don’t like it?” -> offer a money back guarantee.

You don’t have to be perfect the first time since no one is born a master. Just stay with it and steadily improve on it. I hope this helps :)
    Cheers, Tina

DreamscanbeVisions
    Up

Hi Tina,

Thanks heaps for your response it’s really honest which is just what I need.
    I’m not a professional web designer or anything so am quite new at designing websites but I deffinetly see what you mean about too much info & a lot of things distracting a potential customer from purchasing.

I read a bit on SEO & thought it would be better to have a lot of information perhaps to try & keep people to remain on the site searching for more & more info but I guess this can backfire if they don’t find what they’re really looking for.

I think I’m going to first fix the navigation bar to add the home, about us, etc then change the background to I guess something plain & I guess focus on a few strong benefits rather than a bucket load of info.

Any advice would still be appreciated & thank you to everyone who has given suggestions & feedback, it really helps!

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

Try reducing the menu options down to as little as possible & then use dropdown menu’s for extra selections. This just helps not overload the user with too much information all at once & they will only see the options they want to see when the mouse over the respective menu button for more information.

DreamscanbeVisions
    Up
    CondorCreative, post: 70838 wrote:
    Try reducing the menu options down to as little as possible & then use dropdown menu’s for extra selections. This just helps not overload the user with too much information all at once & they will only see the options they want to see when the mouse over the respective menu button for more information.

Hey thanks heaps I’ll get started into doing that right now, any more advice ?

There’s so much I want reviewed because I’m not a web designer or even interested in the field it’s just I needed to learn everything from scratch because of the money I save by being able to create my own websites.

Is everything user friendly for a customer ? Does the design seem weird when you look at it the first time ?

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    DreamscanbeVisions, post: 71055 wrote:
    There’s so much I want reviewed because I’m not a web designer or even interested in the field it’s just I needed to learn everything from scratch because of the money I save by being able to create my own websites.

I totally understand how you’ve got a restrictive budget however just as I see in my industry time and time again. You can easily tell the Vistaprint websites versus sites like mine (I’m in the pet sitting industry which is “rife” with cheapness).

Investing in images is your biggest priority right now. You can do whatever with the site design however lack of images of the product, happy customers, etc .. yeah. I won’t repeat what everyone else has said.

DreamscanbeVisions
    Up

Hi Vanessa thanks for the response. You’re completely right about images!

I’ve really left that to the side for now but I guess since it is just one product I really need to show it off on all angles!

Thanks for the suggestion & I had a look at your website is it finished ?

Just as a helpful suggestion maybe optimizing the SEO would be a good idea for the keyword “dog walkers gold coast“. Using the google sk tool I found 190 people search for that keyword in Australia every month.

If you can revolve the site around the keyword you’ll get more than enough clients as long as they like the site, service on offer, etc.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.