Home – New Forums Tell me straight… website feedback homemade soaps

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    homemade soap
    • Total posts: 10
    Up
    ::

Hello

i would like some feeback on my website.
    1) the design dose that look ok?
    2) is it easy to find your way around?
    3) load time i think my photo gallery taks a bitof time top load

the web site is not finshed yet so there are no add to cart yet on the soap page and no images there as well.

just anything you have to say about it would be greatly APPRECIATE IT.

thank you
    have a great weekend.

http://www.homemadesoaps.comoj.com

Renee Barber
    • Total posts: 360
    Up

First of all, welcome to the FS forum.

Now, just quickly as my eyeballs are tired after a long week …

The flashing menu has got to go. That drove me nuts after the second flash.

Having a box around each paragraph of text breaks up the flow too much so that should go as well.

The other thing that I found overpowering was the background. My initial impression was that it was broccoli. Granted I need a bit more veggies in my diet, but I don’t think the background is doing your website much good.

You also need to look out for grammatical errors, such as on your About page: ‘make shore you look back at are web site’.

I’m going to leave it there for now as the flashing menu is actually threatening to set off a migraine.

I hope these brief notes help.

homemade soap
    Up

hello Renée Barber

thank you for your feed back on my site i have taken some of the thing you said and change them as for the background image i have tryed just about all the colours there are and could not find a background colour that i think suited my site so i have changed the image to a more to suit my site i will have it upload in a few days.

thank you
    warwick

veebee
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

Warwick

Yep the menu is not good.

Also, remember like with any “marketing” you have a limited time to catch the attention of your “customer” to let them know exactly what your site is about.
    Probably 15secs tops.

If your business is quite webbased, it pays more than dividends in the long run, to have your own domain, and a site which makes your business look “grander” than it is.
    Sure for many soloists money can be a reasonable concern, but think of the image you portray of your enterprise from day one. I am sure you have specific quality controls in your finances/cash-flow, product manufacture process, etc. if your website represents an important part of your business, it is worth working with a professional to get the best value, and present the quality image I am sure you are looking for.

VeeBee

Adam Randall
    • Total posts: 382
    Up

My Dear Lord No!

I think some homemade soup just got made in the back of my throat…..

There has to be a point where encouragement is just not enough, where something has to be said!

I would advise reading this checklist and checking it off step by step.

http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/does-my-web-site-suck/does-my-web-site-suck-checklist-part-one.html
    Sorry if the above sounds harsh, I just think you need to know up front how behind the 8 ball you are with regard to offering something that is in any way at a commercial level.

The websites that suck link is probably the single most important place for working out good web design and what is important.

If you were in a school learning web design etc, then I can understand that giving encouragement is important however you are expecting results and for people to part with their money for a product you provide.

Its not going to happen the way it is.

homemade soap
    Up

hi all

thanks for putting me straight about the site yes,
    i want something different from the template site i did ask a few web designers but they all come back with the same thing that they have done a 1000 times so i,m going to go through that check list and see what i can come up with.

thanks
    warwick

Adam Randall
    Up
    homemade soap, post: 7241 wrote:
    hi all

thanks for putting me straight about the site yes,
    i want something different from the template site i did ask a few web designers but they all come back with the same thing that they have done a 1000 times so i,m going to go through that check list and see what i can come up with.

thanks
    warwick

No problems, don’t give up, my first site looked very similar.
    Just remember you have to work out what you want from the site, is it there to make money? or some other reason?

If its to make money, then maybe a bland basic site is what you need, there is no need to re-invent the wheel.

Renee Barber
    Up
    Adam Randall, post: 7243 wrote:
    Just remember you have to work out what you want from the site, is it there to make money? or some other reason?

If its to make money, then maybe a bland basic site is what you need, there is no need to re-invent the wheel.

Adam, the bit about a ‘bland basic site’ being sufficient to make money confused me. Please explain (unless it’s going to start the whole ‘does how a website looks matter’ debate and then I’ll pass)!

Adam Randall
    Up

Bland, basic and professional will always beat customised, complex and amatuer.

It takes a lot of training, talent and experience to pull off a very good customised site, lets face it most of us dont have the time, money or ability to pull it off especially when starting out.

Someone who just learnt to cook, needs to follow a recipe and generally needs many years experience and or a lot of talent to start experimenting. Its the same as a web site.

That being the case its much easier to go with a tried and true formulae.

Eg I class my own site as bland, basic and professional, but there are some “BASIC” things such as:

Address
    Phone numbers
    Email addresses
    business name
    standardised menu system
    ABN
    Basic SEO

Basic business stuff that is missing from the site mentioned here.

The premise with this site is “we are not going to tell you who we are, but give us your details and we will contact you”

How much trust does that convey?

How can they worry about design when basics have not been taken care of?

Its like laying floor tiles on a really uneven surface then wondering if the texture of the tiles is right, its pointless and fails to grasp the fact the underlying fundamentals have not been adhered to.

Here is an excellent article on trust:
    http://www.optimizeandprophesize.com/jonathan_mendezs_blog/2006/11/measuring_and_o.html

homemade soap
    Up

hello all

well let see if you think this page is better i only done one page so far but i would like your input on.

so none of the links will go anywhere

thanks
    warwick

Renee Barber
    Up
    Adam Randall, post: 7266 wrote:
    Bland, basic and professional will always beat customised, complex and amatuer.

Adam, that explanation makes more sense as it contains the word ‘professional’, which is vital for any site. If a website looks like a three-year-old and/or a colour-blind racoon designed it, we have problems! Oh, and by the way, I’m not saying this was the case for this site. :-)

Warwick, I’ve only had a quick look at the new site, but if the old one was the one with the green background (that reminded me of broccoli) and the flashing menu, the new one is a lot more appealing.

Here are a couple of points to consider:

1. I’d recommend that you have a look at how it displays in Firefox as your copyright notice is turning up in the middle of nowhere.
    2. I’d also seriously consider getting a professional logo/banner for your page as it seems like a photograph with words placed on top of it. You have my apologies if this isn’t the case.

Before I close, I have to say you’ve responded admirably to the ‘constructive criticism’ in this thread. Even though the intent is to help you improve your site, sometimes advice (no matter how well meant) can be a bit hard to swallow.

Adam Randall
    Up

Hi Warwick
    I agree with Ren’ee

The attitude you have shown is really good, attempted humour can come across in a harsh way especially when dealing with something someones put a lot of work into.

I think the new site is heaps better.

One trick with a web site is to get the first page right, exactly the way you want it and then save it as a template.

That way all the main navigation etc does not need to be redone and the look and feel remain consistent through the whole site (which is what people want)

You keep the bit in the middle as editable and thats the only part that needs modifying.

Benedict
    • Total posts: 144
    Up

Hi Warwick

I saw the original site and couldn’t bring myself to comment. I saw Adam had already punched you in the nose (I congratulate him on his honesty) so my feedback may have hurt you un-necessarily.

I see that you have had another go, which is good, but I have to say that you really aren’t doing yourself any favors here. I am assuming you are good at making soap but so far you are not good at making web sites.

I see you as having 2 choices:

1. Keep at it on your own and hopefully in time you will have learned enough to launch a site that will help you sell soap.

2. Get help. This can come from someone doing much of the work for you or from someone teaching you what you need to know for yourself.

Either way, ask yourself the questions:

What is the cost of having an expert?
    What is the opportunity cost of not having an expert?

:)

homemade soap
    Up

hi

well i must be so thick that i can not even add content to a pro built site
    so i will just give up so how wants to build my site for me?

Warwick

Heidi Price
    • Total posts: 218
    Up
    homemade soap, post: 7449 wrote:
    hi

well i must be so thick that i can not even add content to a pro built site
    so i will just give up so how wants to build my site for me?

Warwick

Don’t give up so easily! I know you’re probably feel very frustrated at this point, but use that frustration to push into determined mode.

Google hadmade soaps, check out what others are doing (I suggest http://www.heidishandmades.com as a good starting point – no affiliation to me!). Find some ideas. I think the biggest issue at this point is you’re not showing your product.

Having said all that, if you really want to hand the site over I will put my hand up ;-)

Heidi

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.