Home – New Forums Tell me straight… website feedback homemade soaps

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Benedict
    • Total posts: 144
    Up
    ::
    homemade soap, post: 7449 wrote:
    hi

well i must be so thick that i can not even add content to a pro built site
    so i will just give up so how wants to build my site for me?

Warwick

Hey cheer up there Warwick. Every new skill takes a bit of learning. I help teach R&R dancing and many beginners start by saying:

“I will never be able to do this. I have two left feet.” I always reply, “Your feet look like a pretty wee matched pair to me. Can you walk?” The answer is always a puzzled “Yes”. I say, “Well dancing is lust like walking, one foot after another. It’s just the pattern is slightly different. If you can walk then you can dance. You may never be Fred Astaire or Ginger Rogers, Robbie Williams even, but you can dance adequately and that is all it needs to be having fun.”

Many people don’t come back after a few weeks simply because they refuse to open their minds to learning a new pattern for moving their feet. They give up and fail simply because they won’t change their mindset to include walking in a slightly different way.

If you can’t get this yourself then there are people (like me) who can help teach you. Also there are a lot of professional web site builders. If you read my site you will see I am a fan of learning at least the basics yourself so you can know what to look for in an outsourcer.

:)

Chrissie
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

Hi Warwick,

Hopefully you’re not ready to give up just yet! One of the most important things to think about with the actual design of a website is, quite simply, what you are selling.

What best represents soap? I can see you’ve tried with the water-effect heading, however the way it’s laid out actually made me think more of water-related businesses. However what about a bathroom? To take Heidi’s Handmades as an example, the image of a lady in a bubble bath immediately brings to mind bubbles, bathrooms… and soaps!

That has a much more girly feel to it than what I think you’re going for, which is fine, but think about what colours/designs will best represent home made soaps, while still representing yourself as a professional and talented soap maker.

Good luck!

Chrissie

KoB
    • Total posts: 51
    Up

continuing with the honesty…….

The blue water makes me feel like it’s bland, perhaps something that looks or gives the feeling of delicious?

Renee Barber
    • Total posts: 360
    Up

OK … first of all, Benedict, what’s R&R dancing? I feel like I should know, but I don’t. I actually smiled as I didn’t peg you for a dance instructor, gossip columnist yes, dance instructor no. :-)

As for your dilemma, Warwick, as much as webbies love to do work for people, and ease their frustration, it might be worth you sticking it out a bit so you don’t let those feelings get on top of you and pervade other parts of your business. On the other hand, I’m also a firm believer in giving yourself time to do what you really need to be doing, which is running your business.

Perhaps you should weigh up how much time you’ve spent on building your website, estimate how much time you think it’s going to take to get things up and running, and then make a decision as to whether that time would be better spent on something else. I think it could be and that thing is: planning your vision for your website rather than getting bogged down by the nitty gritty details.

I think it was Heidi who suggested you should take some time to look at the websites for your competition, at least a few of them. Of course you don’t want to be derivative, but what you do want to do is take notice of the colours used, the images and the general ‘feel’. During your research time, you want to think about your customers and what THEY want to see, what, in essence, will encourage them to BUY SOAP.

Regardless of whether you build the site yourself, or get a designer to do it, planning (rather than moving from one template to another in the possibly vain hope you’ll find what you’re looking for) should be the first item on your list.

I hope this helps.

Benedict
    Up

Hi Renee

R&R is Rock and Roll. ROCK AND ROLL! I tells ya.

Actually my lady is one of the official teachers and I stay in the circle but I get handed a lot of the first timers. It’s pretty cool and allows me to have big hair.

Sorry for the OT

:)

Renee Barber
    Up

Hi Benedict

Lately we’re the only ones in here, apart from Heidi (hiya sweetie), so I think we can talk about whatever we want. ;-)

Anyhoo, thanks for the clarification. ROCK n’ ROLL … well rocks, but I didn’t think there were specific dance classes for it.

A dance class is a someday thing, right after I get over my growing attachment to my PJs.

Heidi Price
    • Total posts: 218
    Up

Hey Renee luvvie – I thought it was my imagination that “attendance” was down to a regular few ;-)

Hi Benedict – I used to do ballroom dancing. Daggy for sure, but boy was it great exercise. And I learnt how to run in high heels. Very handy skill that lol

Heidi

Benedict
    Up

Hi Heidi I’ll take your word for ‘running in high heels’

There are classes for all kinds of styles of dance. I have done 4-step Rock & Roll, Rockabilly, 8-Step Swing Jive and a little bit of 6-Step Hollywood Swing and Lindy Hop. All are fairly similar and seem a bit daunting at first but get easier if you let them. Not quite a gym workout but does keep you moving – even if it can do in the ankles and knees if you dance a lot – which I used to do a few years back.

:-)

Renee Barber
    Up

How cool, Benedict! Dancing is such great exercise because it’s exercise without feeling like exercise (unless you overdo it). In fact, all this talk of dancing has me smiling about a Flying Solo costume party. Maybe they’ve been there, done that.

Anyway, Heidi, there must be a story to that ‘running in high heels’ business. Do tell, but maybe via DM in Twitter or email, eh? We don’t want ALL of your secrets floating around FS cyberspace. ;-)

As for FS forum attendance lately, I think there are a few newish people posting, but the regulars seem rather quiet. They must be swamped with work and/or are not procrastinating at night when I, theoretically, should be trying to goad a few more edits out of my weary brain … Nah!

homemade soap
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

hi all

well i don’t know how we went from telling me that the site was no good to r&r dancing.

I noticed that someone said about time and what i wanted well i have all the time in the world becouse it is eight weeks for the soap to cure before i can even sell it & i,m putting batches down every two days.

i know that someone also said why reinvent the wheel i,mn not trying to that at but like i said before that all of the designer only what to do what they want . I had a web site built for me about three years ago it cost me $$$$$$$$$$$$
    and that site never did any good at all.

yes some of the thing i was told was wrong with my site i agree with but i,m not some big company with $$$$$$$$$ behind me like now i have to change my links becouse they blend into much with the background.

well thats it
    thanks
    Warwick

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.