Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Website feedback much appreciated

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Infuse Tea
    • Total posts: 19
    Up
    ::

Hi,

My name is Alison and I am the owner of Infuse Tea. I sell loose leaf teas and teawares with a small selection starting in June hoping to expand in the near future. I am starting my business in local markets but hope to also sell online.

My website is in its early stages but I would really appreciate any feedback on the layout and design. I have had mixed responses and as I am still in my early stages of starting my flying solo venture I would love to get some more feedback on how I can improve the style of my site.

My target market is the 25+ female professional.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Alison

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up

Hi Alison.

When it comes to tea and coffee items, these are luxuries so there are two directions you can take. 1 is to make the item look exciting, tempting, something I want to buy. The other is to sell the experience of owning the product, i.e. people enjoying tea. In both cases the product is the star. Your website doesn’t do this, it’s not exciting or visually engaging. It’s a bit boring really.

That’s my input, but I’m sure there’ll be others who want to discuss other areas of your site.

Best wishes – Phil.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Hi Allison,

If this is a new website and you are midway through development, I would stop now and reassess the direction you are heading.

I am about to leave to go shopping, so I can’t give you a detailed review, but there are three points I would like to make:

– The design looks very old fashioned, does not look like it represents a professional business, the layout lack structure and thought to the flow and goals of the site, and looks like it was designed in 1995.

– The Facebook and Twitter icons should be next to each other.

– Looking at the coding behind the website, it obvious that the developer is living in the 1990’s. The code used redundant and while doesn’t affect you, it tells me a lot about the person creating the site.

If you Google Buy tea online, then look at the website ads you will see a large difference between these websites and yours.

Please take this in the spirit in which it was intended. :)

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Alison,

I’m not a web designer or developer of any form, so purely from a visitor’s perspective (who happens to be 25+ female so the market you suggest to be your target audience):

One thing I noticed was a bit of inconsistency in writing- on some pages your ‘headings’ are in bright pink and others they are black and a couple look smaller/less bold and almost a grey colour. And, in your main menu you spell “teawares” as one word, but when I click onto that it shows the side menu with tea wares (two words).

There seems to be a lot of options to ‘share’ various pages of your site… perhaps too many?

I agree with Matthew, the Facebook & Twitter icons should be together… I really like the Twitter icon at your site, and it’s position and wonder if the Facebook icon can be put up there with it to match?

I hope this helps. All the best with your new site :)

Infuse Tea
    Up

Thanks for the feedback. Definitely useful and given me lots to think about.

Cheers guys!
    Alison :)

MassiveEmpire
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

Hi Alison,

I always think if you have an e-commerce site your landing page needs to be really “WOW”. A visitor should be excited about your product and feel the urge to ‘click to buy’ immediately from the landing page. There should be a strong message about what you sell and ‘featured’ products the user can click to buy straight up. So my comment is not about the design it’s about making your products available from the get go.

If you are using WordPress there are many great ‘free’ shopping cart plugins. I have used http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/eshop/ plugin a few times. It is quite easy to setup and even manages your inventory for you and provides good feedback to the customer throughout their purchasing experience.

I ‘liked’ your facebook page and notice you are running a promotion on ‘samples’. This is great and should be featured on your site.

I just noticed we are both in Adelaide so I may get to meet you at the next Adelaide Word Of Mouth meetup!

Infuse Tea, post: 117645 wrote:
    Hi,

My name is Alison and I am the owner of Infuse Tea. I sell loose leaf teas and teawares with a small selection starting in June hoping to expand in the near future. I am starting my business in local markets but hope to also sell online.

My website is in its early stages but I would really appreciate any feedback on the layout and design. I have had mixed responses and as I am still in my early stages of starting my flying solo venture I would love to get some more feedback on how I can improve the style of my site.

My target market is the 25+ female professional.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Alison

Infuse Tea
    Up

Thanks everyone for the feedback and ideas. I am planning a total redevelopment of my site with a focus on bold and exciting. Lets hope it will get there.

All your suggestions have been very useful.

Alison

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

That’s awesome!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.