Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Website for review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Only1way
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    ::

Hey Everyone.

http://www.affordableoutdoors.com.au

Our website has been completed and we are in the middle of expanding our range. My business is less than 6months old and I have alot to learn.

I’m open to all positive and negative feedback ;)

What needs reviewing – The website as a whole. Impressions when you visit the website.
    Does it look appealing? Make you want to look around? etc

What does your business do – We sell LED Strip lighting, Modules, LED Bar Lights and Accessories

Who is your Target Market – Outdoor people Camping, Caravaing, Boating, Fishing, Trailers etc

Have a look at the website open to all feedback.

Thanks Everyone

Craig.Smith
    • Total posts: 167
    Up

Hi,

It’s a good start but you will need to concentrate on the SEO and technical side of the website, as I would think customers will find it difficult finding your website and converting them.

A few areas to look at:
    – SEO. Lack of content on all pages, the homepage has next to no text for crawlers to know what your business is about. Product descriptions are thin. Missing meta descriptions.
    – Theme. Personally I find the grey/black/white theme to be bland. I would look to find a new theme which looks much more enticing. There’s colour issues on the product page as you cannot see the price due to the yellow background and white text.
    – The shopping cart flyout summary top left is in a bad spot. It covers the search box and branding on smaller devices.
    – I would remove the slider on the homepage and have and image with crawable text with what you can provide to your customers with a magnet to get their email address or send them off to a product/category page.
    – Some categories on the homepage link to categories with no products.
    – Categories grid is missing pictures
    – The website load time is quite poor. Pages are loading in about 10.5s, the benchmark is about 4s. Any longer as you will find customers closing your website before it loads, particularly on mobile devices. Start first by optimising your images.

Cheers,
    Craig

Only1way
    Up

Thanks so much for the feedback Craig really appreciate it.

Thanks for pointing out all of these things. Will keep me busy for the next few days resolving them.

What do you mean by Start first by optimising your images?

This may be really silly question what is meta descriptions?

Cheers Dave

Craig.Smith
    • Total posts: 167
    Up

To reduce the size of the images footprint you should research/google lossy compression of jpeg files. There are plenty of tools you can use to reduce the size of them. Some of your pictures are 300Kb in size, you need to reduce the quality of these and bring the file sizes down. Or look at reducing the number of pictures you are showing on the homepage for example. If you have Photoshop, you can use the “Save for Web” option which does the compression for you.

Meta description is the description which you often you see describing the in the organic search result. Although google may not end up using your description, but it’s best to have it there. The CMS will have an option to setup the meta description for each page/category/product.

Only1way
    Up

Thanks so much for your time Craig. I’ll be writing a list and getting started :)

Prashant Murphy
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

Hey Only1way

Yeah, there’s a fair bit to do SEO-wise as Craig has gone through.

There are a few good tools you can use for that where it breaks it down for you very well:

From a design perspective, the colours don’t work well together.

The grey is bland and gives the sense of a lack of brand. Your logo is not bad and the silver and blue go well together there. See if you can get those colours incorporated in to the site.

Anyway, well done on having something up :) As Reid Hoffman (Founder of LinkedIn) said, if you are not embarrassed by the first version of your product, you’ve launched too late.

All the best

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.