Home – New Forums Tech talk Website help needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Travel Stylist
    • Total posts: 12
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

Firstly just wanted to say how useful I am finding these forums, podcasts etc for us little solo’s out there.

I have a website which after hours of work it’s up to the standard that Im happy with, the problem is that person that designed it is being really difficult to work with, I can change/updated about 95% of the website but there are parts that he has to do. And naturally charges what I think is over priced rates. He takes days to respond to emails, I constantly have to chase him up, he doesn’t answer phone calls – hence why I’m done with him.

I have told him as of yesterday that I am going to find someone locally preferably someone that understands how a small/solo business runs, so if there is anyone out there that I can help with my website I would really appreciate it.

Vilson
    Participant
    • Total posts: 184
    Up

Hi there,

How can i help you?

Thanks..

Create Online Test or Quiz on ScoreBell
    bluewoodstudio
    • Total posts: 233
    Up

Where are you located?

Heidi :)

otilas
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

Hi Jodie,

My name is Ben and I run an IT, Web & Cloud Solutions business with my wife.

We would be happy to discuss with you your website and how we can assist you so that your website works for both you and your business.

Season Travel, post: 123073 wrote:
    Hi All,

Firstly just wanted to say how useful I am finding these forums, podcasts etc for us little solo’s out there.

I have a website which after hours of work it’s up to the standard that Im happy with, the problem is that person that designed it is being really difficult to work with, I can change/updated about 95% of the website but there are parts that he has to do. And naturally charges what I think is over priced rates. He takes days to respond to emails, I constantly have to chase him up, he doesn’t answer phone calls – hence why I’m done with him.

I have told him as of yesterday that I am going to find someone locally preferably someone that understands how a small/solo business runs, so if there is anyone out there that I can help with my website I would really appreciate it.

Travel Stylist
    Up
    bluewoodstudio, post: 123080 wrote:
    Where are you located?

Heidi :)

Hi Heidi,

I’m in Melbourne at the moment but work between Melbourne and Sydney.

Thanks

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up
    Season Travel, post: 123073 wrote:
    Hi All,

What things are you unable to change yourself?

victorng
    • Total posts: 626
    Up

If you can change the heading on your homepage that says “Our Specialty’s [sic]”, please do.

Sorry, yes I’m one of those people.

Lots of talented web folk on here so good luck with your search.

Cheers,
    Victor

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

Hi Jodie, I’m another who could probably help. Your site looks great but I haven’t read through the text yet as someone else obviously have. I’m in Victoria.

I just noticed something! You were on the Member Spotlight on this page!

ebaymonkey
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi Jodie,

First up Howdy! -Please note I am not after your work – so see this as independent advice. I work with developers all day long.

Step 1) You need to work out what platform your website has been built on. Websites can be built on different languages so you need to put the advert out on the right platform. Heres an example – if your site is built on wordpress theres no point in hiring a magento expert. Heres why ….they will want the work obtain it then outsource it to someone who can do the job ( offshore ) this creates Chinese whispers and potential time delays.

The best way to get good results from developers is to pay them in milestones that you set. There are escrow programs and platforms out there that push deliverable. You dont pay until your milestone is met.

You have a fair bit of work to be done on your site from a platform , UI and seo point however it is looking very good.

Cheers and have a great day

Travel Stylist
    Up

Here’s another question regarding this site, as the web designer is being a total douche and still hasn’t given me the passwords after the final invoice was paid, so basically my hands are tied as he has registered the domain under his name and even though I have emails from him saying I now own it the Domain company is saying I can’t do anything until he signs it over to me.

Is there anything that I can do or do I need to wait for this jerk to come around and hand it all over – mind you he has said he is happy to hand it over so I have no idea why he is making it so difficult.
    Can I get the whole site changed to a different domain name etc or is that still going to require him handing over passwords etc?

Thanks you are all so helpful.. Sorry for all the questions but I book holidays I don’t know a thing about IT and websites etc.

OneArmedGraphics
    • Total posts: 314
    Up

Hi Jodie. I’d hold off emotive language until resolved. Web tech’s can find posts fairly easy so could lead to trouble.

I don’t believe your designer has any right to control of the domain if it is not related to their business. There are special rules for .com.au domains:

2. Domain names in the com.au 2LD must be:
    a) an exact match, abbreviation or acronym of the registrant’s name or trademark; or
    b) otherwise closely and substantially connected to the registrant.

Remember most arguments are caused by misunderstandings, so hopefully things become more positive for you. :confused:

Ondetto
    • Total posts: 110
    Up

I just had a look and your website seems to be built on WordPress. To get control of the site and /or move it to a new web host, you will need a copy of the files and the database, as well as access to the domain name settings.

But if you are happy to keep the hosting and domain name with your designer, and he is willing to give you admin access to the WP site, you should be able to edit most of the content yourself as needed, assuming you are familiar with WP or willing to learn.

DavidM
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

Heaps of advice already. Just know that to fully control your website you need your cms login/password (WordPress), your domain account username and password (e.g godaddy) and your hosting cPanel username and password.

Without these three username and passwords you don’t have autonomous control of your site and you be at the mercy of others like your designer.

adrian
    Participant
    • Total posts: 181
    Up

To avoid an echo chamber here, Ill just point out that a spammer brought this thread back from the dead. Looking up the whois shows the domain is registered to Jodie. I’d assume this is resolved and a redundant thread…

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi everyone,

Adrian is right, and a spammer did resuscitate this thread.

I’ve whacked them with my big stick, so they won’t be back any more. :rolleyes:

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Jayne

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.