Home – New Forums Tech talk Website Hosting

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #991596
    Lending Mate
    Member
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hello all,

    I am looking for recommendations please for website hosting providers. Looking for someone who can be proactive and work with me to build my online presence.

    Cheers Pete

    #1182183
    MatthewKeath
    Member
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi,

    How are you building your website? If you are using WordPress I run a managed WordPress host – I am sure we can help.

    Cheers,

    Matt

    #1182184
    adrian
    Participant
    • Total posts: 181
    Up
    0
    ::

    A host will generally just do that, host your site. They generally expect you to look after your own site, and tend to limit support to ensuring your site is served.

    If you want someone to ‘work with you’, which I assume means offer advice and help with development, you’re best looking to a web dev or designer… Such as Matthew :)

    #1182185
    MatthewKeath
    Member
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    0
    ::

    Yes, I agree.

    Tinbot.com.au is our managed WordPress host – we do host the site – but them we also try to help with expert WordPress advice and can so small tasks if required.

    Good for people who have built their own site and need some extra support, or people who have a site and need some small tasks done, as well as knowing the WP and plugins are always up to date.

    Cheers,

    Matt

    #1182186
    Ryinth
    Member
    • Total posts: 75
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Pete,

    I run a web design/hosting service – I can provide basic hosting (you take care of everything), administered hosting (I do your WordPress updates, etc), and/or I can do a full site design.

    #1182190
    Lending Mate
    Member
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    0
    ::
    MatthewKeath, post: 212651, member: 3997 wrote:
    Hi,

    How are you building your website? If you are using WordPress I run a managed WordPress host – I am sure we can help.

    Cheers,

    Matt
    Thanks Matthew. Appreciated. Not using wordpress at the moment

    #1182191
    Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up
    0
    ::

    The best Aus host is digitalpacific.com.au… panthur.com.au are also very good.

    Cheers.

    #1182192
    RobOnePoint
    Member
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    0
    ::

    Web 24, Digital Pacific and Web City are our go-to hosts mate :)

    #1182193
    DoigWebsiteTech
    Participant
    • Total posts: 12
    Up
    0
    ::

    I second panthur.com.au.

    My clients use ServersAustralia.com.au, who host using Solid State Drives, which makes the website respond faster, and results in a small ranking increase on Google.

    I have a reseller account with SA if you’re interested.

    #1182194
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    0
    ::
    DoigWebsiteTech, post: 213304, member: 49596 wrote:
    who host using Solid State Drives, which makes the website respond faster, and results in a small ranking increase on Google.
    .

    Does it?

    #1182195
    DoigWebsiteTech
    Participant
    • Total posts: 12
    Up
    0
    ::

    Well, not as much as I initially thought:
    http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com.au/2010/04/using-site-speed-in-web-search-ranking.html

    While site speed is a new signal, it doesn’t carry as much weight as the relevance of a page. Currently, fewer than 1% of search queries are affected by the site speed signal in our implementation and the signal for site speed only applies for visitors searching in English on Google.com at this point.
    #1182196
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    0
    ::
    DoigWebsiteTech, post: 213307, member: 49596 wrote:
    Well, not as much as I initially thought:
    http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com.au/2010/04/using-site-speed-in-web-search-ranking.html

    While site speed is a new signal, it doesn’t carry as much weight as the relevance of a page. Currently, fewer than 1% of search queries are affected by the site speed signal in our implementation and the signal for site speed only applies for visitors searching in English on Google.com at this point.

    Just for us uninitiated, how does google know the difference between solid state drives and other drives. because thinking about it couldn’t a sites responsiveness also be impacted by the location, and communications links between the site and the google servers. Just wondering.

    #1182197
    DoigWebsiteTech
    Participant
    • Total posts: 12
    Up
    0
    ::

    Great question.

    You can learn accurately where a server is located by its IP address, so Google would estimate where the server is located.

    #1182198
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    0
    ::
    DoigWebsiteTech, post: 213313, member: 49596 wrote:
    Great question.

    You can learn accurately where a server is located by its IP address, so Google would estimate where the server is located.

    Ok, but that would still not give google any idea of the quality / speed of the comms links to the server. So I am assuming, but correct me if I am wrong, if a host is running solid state drives, any benefit which may be gained from that could be lost by its location and comms link ???

    #1182200
    DoigWebsiteTech
    Participant
    • Total posts: 12
    Up
    0
    ::

    Google can measure the time it takes for Google to get a reply back from the web server. Is this what you mean by the comms link?

    Edit: the reply back from the server would be independent on what hard drives the server is using. I’m pretty sure it is purely a networking figure.

    So Google knows the quality of the comms link from pinging the server. I think this allows it to separate the comms link from the loading time of the website.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.