Home – New Forums Tech talk Website loading speeds.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    danb
    • Total posts: 109
    Up
    ::

Out of curiosity, how long would you wait for a website to load before you decided to find another option?

vxd
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

Ever since there were tabs in browsers and ADSL 2+ I would wait as long as it takes to load the page. With multiple websites open at the same time I don’t sit there waiting for the one page as I would already have another page loaded.

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

If it’s longer than 10 seconds, I’d start to get a bit dubious.

If it’s somewhere I wanted to go (Say a businesses website) I will wait a little longer.

If I’m say for instance, searching for lyrics to a song on Google, I’ll give it a few seconds and then move onto the next option.

– Jake

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

Within 3-4 seconds a user must see SOMETHING.

Even if it’s a half loaded image and some text, as long as they SEE it’s working they’ll extend their wait.

If come 5 seconds they’re still looking at a blank page however, you’re likely to have a bounce.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

According to Google, The 20th percentile of fast websites will load a page in under 1.5 seconds.

Hard to do these days with javascript codelets, rich content and the like.

When building pages, If I can keep pages load to under 3 seconds I’m generally happy.

You can see how you site is performing by setting up your webmaster tools account and going to labs > site performance.

You can also install the firefox add-on page speed.

Both give you tips on improving your site’s speed performance.

rendersmart.com.au
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

I think whilst everyone wants fast, most users are aware of bells and whistle sites and will wait for flash or the likes to load or the likes to get a good experience. But if they have to wait and it doesn’t deliver well chances are they won’t return.

I’m sure it depends on the site. Searching for prices and most consumer products/e-stores you want to be nippy that’s for sure. But when browsing a more prestigious site where you are relaxed and happy to browse just like you would a real store I guess those same principles apply. Popping into your local grocer to pick up a few things you are in and out and HATE waiting in line. But shopping for a new suit you may spend some more time and are happy to do so.

FionaFell
    • Total posts: 342
    Up

I need to see something ASAP.

I’m one of the few lucky enough to have a consistant dial-up connection, or a inconsisteant 3G wireless connection.

I have no patience for Flash ‘pretties’ and other highly download intensive content that are only there for the sake of it.

Flash has its’ place in interactive websites and games, but not on every site.

Images should be optimised to load quickly, even if they are only thumnails. If I see a thumnail and want to see more details, for example on a photographers website, I will wait for it them as that ‘delay’ was my decision.

Put words on every page and it will give me something to read while the rest of the page arrives, that way I don’t get bored and leave.

[Apologies if that all sounds like a web design/developer rant: not my intent at all]

danb
    Up

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! It’s great to have a couple of different perspectives to consider.

I mainly ask because I’ve developed my business website with quite a few bells and whistles (lots of jQuery etc) – It’s also rather unique in that it’s a one page scrolling site (easier to explain with a demo link but it’s not up yet).

I guess I need to consider my audience, will potential clients be closing the site before it loads or will they be waiting and then be impressed with the unique take? Curious.

HamishBorthen
    • Total posts: 51
    Up

I like to see “something” pretty quick.. to let me know the website is working.
    This should be pretty easy these days particular as people have (finally) moved away from using Table tags as their website design core.

As for the newer technology which may lead to longer load times/larger file sizes there is actually LESS of an excuse for not notifying the user. These technologies leave plenty of opportunity to give the user some feed back that page is loading.

And Dan I’ve recently discovered JQuery and it’s been a life changing experience :) For the database management system I’ve written (and still improving) for Duff Recruitment it’s made the website feel like a desktop program. It’s a great bit of technology to avoid page loads I’ve found. Lots of easy opportunity to use AJAX etc. Check out the datatables JQuery plug-in too.. where was that all those years I was writing online database aps :)

Samith
    • Total posts: 187
    Up
    danb, post: 34465 wrote:
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone! It’s great to have a couple of different perspectives to consider.

I mainly ask because I’ve developed my business website with quite a few bells and whistles (lots of jQuery etc) – It’s also rather unique in that it’s a one page scrolling site (easier to explain with a demo link but it’s not up yet).

I guess I need to consider my audience, will potential clients be closing the site before it loads or will they be waiting and then be impressed with the unique take? Curious.

Hi Dan,

How long does it take to load the site now? love to have a look at the demo, pretty impressed with your logo! I’m sure the website gonna be a stunner. Once you set it up you can set up G Analytics, you can get an idea how many people bounce from the site.

Best Regards,
    Samith W.

danb
    Up

Thanks for the logo compliments Samith :)

At the moment it takes about 20 seconds or so to load, which is quote hefty!
    As soon as I get the copy up I’ll paste the link :)

Paul Cunningham
    • Total posts: 69
    Up

Dan

Had a look at your facebook page. You’ve got a few raving fans there. Must be good at what you do. Looking forward to seeing your site.

Samith
    Up
    danb, post: 34510 wrote:
    Thanks for the logo compliments Samith :)

At the moment it takes about 20 seconds or so to load, which is quote hefty!
    As soon as I get the copy up I’ll paste the link :)

No worries Dan, you deserve it. Hmm 20secs sounds a bit nasty, maybe a bit of image compression (I’m personally not a big fan) and java script combining would certainly help. If you are using firefox try installing page speed

http://code.google.com/speed/page-speed/

It will show you what’s taking the time and what you can do to reduce it. Best of luck!

Best Regards,
    Samith W.

danb
    Up

Samith, I’ve just uploaded the temporary site for testing if you want to have a look!

http://www.moonshine.net.au/

Samith
    Up
    danb, post: 34560 wrote:
    Samith, I’ve just uploaded the temporary site for testing if you want to have a look!

http://www.moonshine.net.au/

Should have mentioned I got acrophobia :) it’s stunning Dan! Awesome content color coordination with the logo!

I ran page speed on the site, following was the feedback

“There are 2.05MB worth of images. Optimizing them could save ~724.9kB (34.5% reduction).”

I guess that will improve the loading time least by 5 seconds.

Another thing I noticed was you are using Analytics, well done! you can do a simple update to the code to track how many people click on each link (About us, portfolio, etc)

onClick=”javascript: pageTracker._trackPageview (‘/About.html’);”> etc for all links, well not “/About.html” for all :D

Best of luck Dan!

Best Regards,
    Samith W.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.