Home – New Forums Selling online Website not mobile responsive – how do I upgrade?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    The Reading Nest
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

Hi,

My website is currently not mobile responsive and I am losing business because of this. I would like to keep the current template that I have and I was wondering if anyone knows how I can go about this? The catch is I don’t have thousands to pay for a new site…

One suggestion that was made was to buy another template and transfer all the data manually. I am not keen on this idea as it has taken 18 months to build the website to this point.

Another suggestion was to talk to a web developer who is fresh out of uni/TAFE and see if they wouldn’t mind taking on a small project like this. I don’t know anyone who is in this position and not sure what I should do.

Any suggestions?

I really appreciate any advice you can give me. Perhaps there is another option that I just can’t see at the moment..

Susie

natedamman
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

Hey there Susan, Mobile responsiveness is indeed a very important part of websites in 2015. Not only will customers leave your website because of this but it will also effect your ranking in search engines. One way to complete this is by using css media quires. If you would like to email me at [email protected] i can take a popper look for you. I’m sure i can help you out with a solution that won’t cost you thousands of dollars.

Kindest Regards, Nate Damman

The Reading Nest
    Up

Hi Nate,

Thanks. I will drop you a line shortly.

Kind regards
    Susie

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    The Reading Nest, post: 222406, member: 70932 wrote:
    Hi,

My website is currently not mobile responsive and I am losing business because of this. I would like to keep the current template that I have and I was wondering if anyone knows how I can go about this? The catch is I don’t have thousands to pay for a new site…

One suggestion that was made was to buy another template and transfer all the data manually. I am not keen on this idea as it has taken 18 months to build the website to this point.

Another suggestion was to talk to a web developer who is fresh out of uni/TAFE and see if they wouldn’t mind taking on a small project like this. I don’t know anyone who is in this position and not sure what I should do.

Any suggestions?

I really appreciate any advice you can give me. Perhaps there is another option that I just can’t see at the moment..

Susie

Your website is built using Opencart which is free open source software and it does support mobile friendly design. There are add-ons and extensions for mobiles support.

The issue with your site is the design itself you can see what Google thinks of the design at – https://www.google.com.au/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/.

Looking at the website there are some basic issues that would stop me from buying regardless of what device I used. The text is hard against the left border and there should be a margin. It does not look professional.

The checkout process is not using SSL (https) so personal information is not secure.

There is a $ sign at the front and back of the values, e.g. $6.25$ !!!

You need to address the basic issues with the website and one solution would probably be a total redesign with a modern responsive template for Opencart. I am sure there are some designers on FS who can help.

But you need to fix the core issues and make the site trustworthy.

John

DankifyDesign
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Hi There,

Sounds like you need some help! Check us out we have a live chat on the site if you wanted to pick our brains :) its all about helping small business right.

Look forward to chatting with you.

Dani
    Dankify Design
    http://dankifydesign.com/

The Reading Nest
    Up

Hi John,

Thank you for your feedback. I have worked out how to remove the $ sign and I am in the process of getting an SSL certificate. I currently use Paypal and also have a hosted payment page with St George so checkout is secure.

I appreciate your feedback.
    Susie

The Reading Nest
    Up

Hi Dani,

Thanks, yes I do need help! :(. I am after different options that are available to me that don’t have a total redesign of the website as the only option.

To me redesigning the website is a last resort.

Susie

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    The Reading Nest, post: 222505, member: 70932 wrote:
    Hi John,

Thank you for your feedback. I have worked out how to remove the $ sign and I am in the process of getting an SSL certificate. I currently use Paypal and also have a hosted payment page with St George so checkout is secure.

I appreciate your feedback.
    Susie
    Good to hear Susie,

The payment methods may have been secure but it is the perception of being secure that gets people to buy. An SSL certificate is a small price but creates a more professional feel on the website.

John

natedamman
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

I’ve played around with this websites code for a couple of hours and came to the conclusion that to get it to a mobile responsive state (properly) you need to have it re designed. i know this might not be the best thing to hear but yeah. my suggestion is finding someone who can do it for or under your budget. but unfortunately you get what you pay for. It’s an investment in your business and especially being that your business is online should be treated seriously (that’s if you rely on this website to make you income)

hope that helps you. :)

Colin-S
    • Total posts: 31
    Up

Susie,

If you want to keep the current template, you have no choice but to dive into the (CSS) code or find someone to do that for you.

But beware because tweaking an existing setup can also be more time consuming that you (or a student developer for example) might think to get a good result. The results can also be less than ideal (ideal is where you start the design with mobile in mind, rather than an afterthought). So if you can find someone, fixed price and clear end points are definitely the way to go.

As has been suggested, the other option is to install a new template. This isnt rebuilding your website or losing what effort you’ve put in though. The template only controls how your stuff is displayed. Its only actually a small part of the website.

Unless it’s a peculiarity of OpenCart (which I doubt) you shouldn’t need to transfer your data. You are only changing how it is displayed, not what is displayed or when.

A new template isn’t likely to be without some setup changes though. Because all the tweaking has been done to make a new template responsive (and you can see it before you install it), it should give better results and be a more economical option in the long run.

Thinking outside the box, the other option is a site redesign and to move to a different system (ie new website) where there is plenty of expertise (assuming you just can’t find anything that suits in the world of OpenCart). Again you wouldnt necessarily need to manually move the data, it could be done programatically.

There are several improvements to your site that will certainly bring in more custom, aside from mobile. It could just be this option turns out to be more economical depending on what assistance you can find for OpenCart. Its an option to consider if all else fails – but in essence is a more complex and costly version of upgrading templates, unless that’s prohibitively expensive.

I hope some of that has helped, although unfortunately I dont think it tells you much you didnt already suspect!

I would encourage you to think of any investment you make in terms of what it will give you in increased returns over an acceptable period of time. They are returns you’ll never see anyway if you don’t make any changes. Or put another way, if you can get your upgrade for free by diverting increased profits for a year, it doesnt matter what you spend.

The Reading Nest
    Up

Hi Colin and Nate,

Thank you both for your feedback.
    I have contacted the designer of my current template and she has a version that is mobile responsive. I have decided to purchase this.

Changing the website to a new template did not sit easy with me as I love the colours and the timber look that I currently have. My branding was designed around these colours so changing my website meant I would need to look at re-branding which is an expensive option on its own.

For now I am happy that I have made a decision and am grateful for all the advice that has been given.

Susie

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

Anything you do with the existing site is going to be merely a band aid approach.

Invest the money, and do it properly.

I recommend rebuilding the site and moving to WordPress with WooCommerce.

I would be happy to take care of this for you.

Alternatively I would recommend either Byron or Matthew Keith.

Don’t spend any more time or money on this platform.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.