Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Website Review – Barrie Executive Business Services

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    BEBS
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

Hi all

My name is Narelle and I am the founder of Barrie Executive Business Services (“BEBS”).

BEBS’ mission is to provide accurate and efficient virtual business support services to a variety of small to large tier businesses. Having over 15 years experience in office environments, I thought I would fly solo.

I have recently launched my website http://www.bebs.net.au/. I would value any opinion you may have and I look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks,

Narelle Barrie

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

Narelle I’m sorry to say but your website is very hard to look at. The colours are very drab, the layout is very uninspiring. It looks amateurish and it’s going to reflect on your image as a professional business.

Sorry if that’s a lot harsher feedback than you were expecting, but I tend to tell the truth in reviews!

In better news, your copy is quite good! Home -> Why Outsource make for a fantastic funnel, and you’re following great sales principals throughout.

I would love to have a chat to you soon to discuss ways it could be improved and what it could mean for your business. If you would like, you can reach me on [email protected]

Cheers, and congrats on flying solo! :)
    Chris

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Narelle,
    I’m afraid to say this, but Chris is being very, very kind to you.

I presume you have set your site up with some sort of DIY template.

No one will see it but yourself and anyone to whom you send its address in an email.

Even if they reach it, they will leave quickly because people won’t stay long on a page that uses reversed font. (light text on a dark background).

Regs,

John W

Business Vision Solutions
    • Total posts: 30
    Up

Hi Narelle,

Good on you for getting out there and having a go on your own. Don’t get down about your website. As we all know, you tend to get what you pay for and it costs money to ask a professional to build you a website. I think the comments that other members have made are valid and deserve consideration when you have the time and money to make alterations. For now, your website is doing the job you need it to in providing information about your business. Best of luck.

Cheers,

Dan

CarolP
    • Total posts: 77
    Up

Hi Narelle,

Good for you for taking action and making a start. Design and colour are very subjective so the best way is to test what works with your target market.

I presume you were trying to achieve an executive look with the use of wood panels and muted tones etc. If this is the case, I get the idea of where you are going with this but I do think the wood panelling detail in the header along with the vertical lines running through the background are distracting. Keep it simple and perhaps try for a more understated look with less detail in the background.

I think the main concern is that the design has a lot going on there so it is difficult to focus on the most important thing – your content and what you have to offer. The colours are not a problem for me. Just keep it simple so the reader is drawn to the fabulous service that you are offering.

Cheers
    Carol

Jay-T
    • Total posts: 119
    Up

You need a point of difference.

In any type of marketing or sales process there are one or two elements that are vital and if you drop the ball on them your results will suck.

The first vital element i can see that you need is your USP, every one knows it and is sick of hearing about but every one forgets to put one together and then they wonder why the hell they have difficulty getting leads and sales.

It’s not the sexiest thing for you to work on but it’s very sexy to your customer.

So that’s something I’d work on if I were you. Remember your USP has nothing to do with you.

Your USP understands and speaks to what your customer values most.

When you know what your customer wants to move away from (dominant fears/frustrations) and what they ultimately want to move towards (their desired outcome) then you’ve got something until then you’ve got a “me too” business.

Also when you have a clear USP it makes all of your marketing clearer and helps you eliminate the b.s. that most marketing is full of.

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up

Hi Narelle,

Unfortunately I have to agree with the above replies.

If you don’t have a big budget for website (which I assume you don’t), at an absolute minimum I would do the following yourself to make it a little more readable and usable.

1) Get rid of the stripey background, it’s distracting and hard to read things with it there.

2) Fix the text box so the text isn’t jammed hard against the border – really hard to read with no “white space” around (white space isn’t always white – just blank area.

3) I still cant work out what that weird image at the left is that looks like some concrete tower thing. Change it for something more relevant.

Narelle it’s probably hard seeing all the negative comments here, but to be honest your site either needs quite a bit of work or a redo. If you don’t have the money for a basic professionally built site, you really do need to at least fix up some of the above to bring it to a minimum standard. If aren’t sure what a basic budget professional website should cost email me [email protected] – there are ways I can keep the cost down but still get a good result.

Best of luck with your business.

Matt

BEBS
    Up
    JohnW, post: 39625 wrote:
    Hi Narelle,
    I’m afraid to say this, but Chris is being very, very kind to you.

I presume you have set your site up with some sort of DIY template.

No one will see it but yourself and anyone to whom you send its address in an email.

Even if they reach it, they will leave quickly because people won’t stay long on a page that uses reversed font. (light text on a dark background).

Regs,

John W

Hi John

Thank you for your feedback – sorry it has taken me so long to reply to you.

I have seen many websites using reversed font – why is this a problem?

Would love to hear from you.

Narelle

BEBS
    Up
    CarolP, post: 39643 wrote:
    Hi Narelle,

Good for you for taking action and making a start. Design and colour are very subjective so the best way is to test what works with your target market.

I presume you were trying to achieve an executive look with the use of wood panels and muted tones etc. If this is the case, I get the idea of where you are going with this but I do think the wood panelling detail in the header along with the vertical lines running through the background are distracting. Keep it simple and perhaps try for a more understated look with less detail in the background.

I think the main concern is that the design has a lot going on there so it is difficult to focus on the most important thing – your content and what you have to offer. The colours are not a problem for me. Just keep it simple so the reader is drawn to the fabulous service that you are offering.

Cheers
    Carol

Hi Carol

Thank you so much for your feedback and I apologise for not getting back to you sooner.

Yes, you are right, I am trying to achieve an executive look. In terms of “keeping it simple” what would you suggest I do?

I am quite fond of the colours I have chosen, however taking on board some of the advice I have received, I have added more white space and relevant images on the home and why outsource pages.

Narelle
    http://www.bebs.net.au

BEBS
    Up
    DM_BVS, post: 39635 wrote:
    Hi Narelle,

Good on you for getting out there and having a go on your own. Don’t get down about your website. As we all know, you tend to get what you pay for and it costs money to ask a professional to build you a website. I think the comments that other members have made are valid and deserve consideration when you have the time and money to make alterations. For now, your website is doing the job you need it to in providing information about your business. Best of luck.

Cheers,

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thank you for being gentle :)

As per the suggestions in Flying Solo – I have made a few changes to my website – added more white space and relevant images.

Hopefully I will attract potential clients using the current website and in the future I will consider a re-do.

Many thanks,

Narelle

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

Hi Narelle,

Welcome to the forums!

I’m going to leave the scrutiny to others, because it seems you have plenty to digest for you.

I will instead just say it’s great to have you on board and looking forward to seeing you around!

– Jake

CarolP
    • Total posts: 77
    Up
    BEBS, post: 40377 wrote:
    Hi Carol

Thank you so much for your feedback and I apologise for not getting back to you sooner.

Yes, you are right, I am trying to achieve an executive look. In terms of “keeping it simple” what would you suggest I do?

I am quite fond of the colours I have chosen, however taking on board some of the advice I have received, I have added more white space and relevant images on the home and why outsource pages.

Narelle

Hi Narelle,

In terms of keeping it simple, I will go with Matt’s suggestions to get rid of the stripey background, it’s distracting. I think it takes away from your content. Instead of a two tone stripe – get rid of it and bring the background back to one colour only – it will help simplify things.

You are using four different colours – a light wood panel colour, a darker one, a taupe and a mauve colour. I’d suggest reducing the number of colours down by at least one as I think again will help simplify things. Use complementary colours – I think tonally the mauve colour is fighting against the wood panel colours – you might need to play around a bit and test a few other colours out if you can.

I hope that makes sense.

Cheers
    Carol

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.