Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Website Review for HealthyChart

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    HealthyChart
    • Total posts: 20
    Up
    ::

Hi!

I have designed and produced a magnetic incentive chart for kids to help them eat a balanced diet, drink plenty of water and get enough exercise. The target market is Mums and caregivers with young children.

I built this site using Webs.com. Although restricted to set page templates, I am pleased by how easy the process has been. However, I still think the site could work better and would appreciate any feedback.

http://www.healthychart.com.au

Thank you!

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up

Hi Ms Minter,

Before I start just a note to let you know my reviews are generally considered helpful and accurate, but a bit blunt and brutally honest, so please bare that in mind and don’t be offended by my bluntness!

What I like:
    1) The header image is really nice, visually appealing, and makes me want to find out more. I also like the “Endorced by Busy Mums” sticker on this.

2) Some of your internal pages are good – for example the How to Use page is quite attractive, and the “whats in a serve” page has some good information (but could use some more graphics)

What I don’t like:
    Pretty much everything about your home page unfortunately, sorry to say, from both a technical and visual point of view. Some of the internal pages are better as I mentioned, but also have issues.

1) Biggest seriously major problem is that all the text on your homepage isn’t text – it’s an image. The only “real” text on your home page is the big capital “ORDER NOW” and the copywrite notice down the bottom. This means google will have no idea what your page is about (because you haven’t given it a chance to find out), and will thus likely never index you.

2) Also related to this is the font you have used for all the text (image) looks really ugly. Partly the font selected is bad, but also whatever program you have created these “text images” in haven’t “anti-aliased” it properly, so it looks really rough. Getting “text as an image” right when it is required is actually quite a skill. In your case it shouldn’t be there.

3) Your site Title is “Home -” (this is what appears in the blue bar on the window). You again haven’t told Google what your site is about. Other page titles are also bad. They should say something like Healthy Chart | Magnetic Heath Chart | Home (this is just a 5 second go at it – I could probably improve further)

4) Your Meta Description tag is there and reads ok to a person, but is not really search optimised for maximum benefit.

5) You have no pictures of your product on the page other than in the header

6) The images on the homepage you are using look really cliche in my opinion. Stock photography is good but not if it looks like everyone else’s

To be honest you will need to fix much of the above particularly on the home page in order to have success with your site both SEO and customer wise, and I can say with certainty the other website and SEO experts on here will agree with me. In fact – I would suggest that that you fix the main issue of the homepage text not being text FIRST, and then ask for a second round review, as this issue is so major that further more detailed reviews without it being fixed are pointless in my opinion. If you do fix this i’d be more than happy to go into some more specifics for you, but no point getting into nitty gritty unless you are prepared to make changes (most people asking for reviews are not and are just fishing for compliments).

Best of luck with everything.

Matt

HealthyChart
    Up

Many thanks.

Will go work on it and let you know when it’s ready to be reviewed again.

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up

Hi MsMinter,

Just took a look at your site. Looking 1000% better already, well done.

Let us know when you have finished your changes and i’ll provide a review stage two, and hopefully some others may chime in as well.

Matt

HealthyChart
    Up

Ready for Round 2 ( I hope).

1) I knew having an image on homepage might be an issue, but thought I was keeping a more professional look with the fonts, etc. So thanks for feedback on this. Have now changed it to all text with image on side that is the original Fussy Eater.

2) Got rid of image fonts. Have increased font size on all pages because there is a lot of text (for those who care to read it), but does this look daggy?

3) Changed some of the page titles, but not sure I grasped what you really were looking for here. Thought titles needed to be short and sweet?

4) Again, not sure what I should change. Webs lets you enter a page description (sentence structure) and meta tags (list) for each page. So perhaps they need to both be lists?

5) & 6) point taken.

Is there a list on Flying Solo of good examples of different types of sites? Such as ‘sites that sell a service’, ‘sites that sell 1-5 products’, ‘good use of animation’ etc. Or would that be too extensive?

Thank you Matt for your input. I’m trying to read other comments here to learn more, so much appreciated.

Ms Minter

HealthyChart
    Up

Hi Everyone,

Just one last request for comments. I discovered that I’ve had a glaring typo on my homepage for over a week and that my bounce rate is at 59% for the month of June – no wonder! So feeling terribly foolish and wanting to get on the right track I’ve made some changes that I would appreciate comments on.

1. I made most of the changes suggested above.

2. I’ve tried to make the tag line better to get the 1 second clarity about what the website is about and hopefully reduce the bounce rate.

3. I’ve changed “Products” to “BUY NOW” since you otherwise have to scroll down to get to that action.

If anyone has a good example of a site that sells a single product that I could look at I’d appreciate it. I hate having all that text on the homepage, but don’t know how else to explain the proposition. Should I scrap what I have and make a homepage that is more dramatic, ie “Stop childhood obesity!” or “I love my HealthyChart and use it everyday!”?

Ms Minter

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.