Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Website review- Hale & Fun

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Daniel12345
    • Total posts: 97
    Up
    ::

Hi all,
    Just starting out and am about to really hit the media outlets hard with media releases (Thanks to Keeta Nova for that one- brilliant work-http://keetanova.com.au/) and would love some feedback on the business website:

What needs reviewing? (i.e. logo, website, idea etc…)
    The website..In general, how does it feel to look at it. Does it convey the right sense of professionalism yet still seem dynamic enough and of course does it actually make sense!

2. What does your business do?

We provide entertaining and educational courses for retirement homes and community groups.

3. Who is your target market?
    Predominantly individuals in the third age of learning- retirees for the most part but if we could expand into community centres and RSLs, anyone and everyone

4. What specific concerns do you have?
    Some of the feedback I have had is that the website doesnt really convey what we do well enough, that people come away from it still not sure what the business is focusing on. I am not sure where the problem is myself but have heard it from a few people so am will to bet there is something there.

The website is http://www.haleandfun.com.au

Cheers and thanks
    Daniel White
    http://www.haleandfun.com.au

victorng
    • Total posts: 626
    Up

Hi Daniel,

I really like the look of your website, it’s got a fresh fun feel to it.

I think you’re right that your website really doesn’t convey what you do very well.

After reading the text on your homepage I couldn’t tell what it is you do. I clicked on the read more button and 3 paragraphs down I started to figure it out (sort of) but still wasn’t quite sure. I think you need to state clearly what you do on your homepage – “We do xyz …” or similar.

The icons up top are not particularly intuitive and don’t have a ‘title’ that pops up on hover. For example, I assumed the addressbook icon would be a contact page of some sort (I notice your designer uses an addressbook icon for the contact page on their website!). I think this is a general issue with the navigation scheme – I wasn’t quite sure where I should be going.

But none of that should be particularly hard to fix and the site looks great so good luck!

Cheers,
    Victor

BTW – I personally wouldn’t put a copy of my signature up on the web…

TrishF
    • Total posts: 192
    Up

Hi Daniel
    I like the clean fresh look of the site, but….

– You say you are targeting older people, the site looks to be targeting kids – e.g. the icons/menu buttons at the top (which BTW just look like pretty pictures not menus)

– I would like to see some images of old folks (engaging in your activities) on the home page. Also you need to actually mention them in your home page content too.

Does it convey the right sense of professionalism yet still seem dynamic enough and of course does it actually make sense! – Overall, I think not.

– I would move the menu buttons to the top – under the header. Instead of welcome – say Home – we are all creatures of habit (don’t try to re-invent the wheel).

– Take away the pretty icons on the top right and replace it with a phone #, preferably a landline (this is the most valuable “Real Estate” on a website – use it wisely)

– think about adding a blog with valuable content for this age group

– I could go on about no Terms & Cond, no site map, no privacy pages, no title tags, no keywords etc etc.

Trish Fehon

CubeTech
    • Total posts: 17
    Up

Hi Daniel,

On first look the site is very clean and crisp. Here are my own thoughts:

1. What needs reviewing? (i.e. logo, website, idea etc…)
    – Logo – No its prominent, clean and professional
    – Featured Banner – Change it to a Featured slider, with different information. Maybe half what is written in each to get curiosity but to also convey more than just the single message.
    – Having to click each link: Welcome, Courses etc im not to sure on. My thoughts are it should scroll and when a user clicks, it goes to a new page. For example course. The main feature will scroll, it will be a different image…maybe someone in a course and a little blurb, 50 words or so to get my interest. I click to read more. It goes to a new page with that information, and the option to select the available courses.
    – The feature slider should correspond with the key menu items.
    – Menu – i dont like the pictures, make it words. Even hovering does tell me what they are.
    – Idea – very cool.
    – Footer, to small. Look at social media links.

2. What does your business do? You say targeting seniors…Im not seeing that at all. Graphics should represent this as should your open Welcome Passage.

Looking at the design, having the slider there and then have 3 small boxes feature:

About Hale and Fun, something else and something else. Will do this :P

3. Who is your target market? I’m not seeing any target at all. Address the above details will help with this.

4. What specific concerns do you have? Not really alot, your 90% there, look at the above.

Hope this helps :)
    Andrew

Daniel12345
    Up

Thanks to all for your advice…looks like I have some revamping to do over the holiday break!
    Cheers
    Daniel

Daniel12345
    Up
    victorng, post: 97231 wrote:
    Hi Daniel,

I really like the look of your website, it’s got a fresh fun feel to it.

I think you’re right that your website really doesn’t convey what you do very well.

After reading the text on your homepage I couldn’t tell what it is you do. I clicked on the read more button and 3 paragraphs down I started to figure it out (sort of) but still wasn’t quite sure. I think you need to state clearly what you do on your homepage – “We do xyz …” or similar.

The icons up top are not particularly intuitive and don’t have a ‘title’ that pops up on hover. For example, I assumed the addressbook icon would be a contact page of some sort (I notice your designer uses an addressbook icon for the contact page on their website!). I think this is a general issue with the navigation scheme – I wasn’t quite sure where I should be going.

But none of that should be particularly hard to fix and the site looks great so good luck!

Cheers,
    Victor

BTW – I personally wouldn’t put a copy of my signature up on the web…

Thanks- Fair call on the lack of clarity- you are not the first to comment on that! I guess when you work for so long on a business you kind of forget that other people dont have the same information as you do. I have had Keeta Nova do a re-write for me and hopefully that will make it alot clearer.

Thanks for the idea on the floating titles for the navigation page and lack of “obviousness” in the icons- I will definitely look into changing those.

Thanks again for the advice-
    Cheers
    Daniel

Daniel12345
    Up
    TrishF, post: 97232 wrote:
    Hi Daniel
    I like the clean fresh look of the site, but….

– You say you are targeting older people, the site looks to be targeting kids – e.g. the icons/menu buttons at the top (which BTW just look like pretty pictures not menus)

– I would like to see some images of old folks (engaging in your activities) on the home page. Also you need to actually mention them in your home page content too.

Does it convey the right sense of professionalism yet still seem dynamic enough and of course does it actually make sense! – Overall, I think not.

– I would move the menu buttons to the top – under the header. Instead of welcome – say Home – we are all creatures of habit (don’t try to re-invent the wheel).

– Take away the pretty icons on the top right and replace it with a phone #, preferably a landline (this is the most valuable “Real Estate” on a website – use it wisely)

– think about adding a blog with valuable content for this age group

– I could go on about no Terms & Cond, no site map, no privacy pages, no title tags, no keywords etc etc.

Trish Fehon

Hi Trish,
    Thanks for the comments-I particularly like the idea of including the blog- I do have one and while it is attached it isnt very clear which I think is a running theme with some of the icons. Will definitely need to revamp that.
    Cheers
    Daniel

Daniel12345
    Up
    CubeTech, post: 97382 wrote:
    Hi Daniel,

On first look the site is very clean and crisp. Here are my own thoughts:

1. What needs reviewing? (i.e. logo, website, idea etc…)
    – Logo – No its prominent, clean and professional
    – Featured Banner – Change it to a Featured slider, with different information. Maybe half what is written in each to get curiosity but to also convey more than just the single message.
    – Having to click each link: Welcome, Courses etc im not to sure on. My thoughts are it should scroll and when a user clicks, it goes to a new page. For example course. The main feature will scroll, it will be a different image…maybe someone in a course and a little blurb, 50 words or so to get my interest. I click to read more. It goes to a new page with that information, and the option to select the available courses.
    – The feature slider should correspond with the key menu items.
    – Menu – i dont like the pictures, make it words. Even hovering does tell me what they are.
    – Idea – very cool.
    – Footer, to small. Look at social media links.

2. What does your business do? You say targeting seniors…Im not seeing that at all. Graphics should represent this as should your open Welcome Passage.

Looking at the design, having the slider there and then have 3 small boxes feature:

About Hale and Fun, something else and something else. Will do this :P

3. Who is your target market? I’m not seeing any target at all. Address the above details will help with this.

4. What specific concerns do you have? Not really alot, your 90% there, look at the above.

Hope this helps :)
    Andrew

Thanks Andrew I like the idea of the feature banner changes in particular! Will definitely be in discussions with our webdesigner to make the changes you suggested!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.