Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Website review please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    ExecAccess
    • Total posts: 229
    Up
    ::
    MinzBeadz, post: 123999 wrote:

I started out with lovely descriptions however, after having done them for all products then realised that precisely none of them are useful with regard to SEO – Zen Cart appears to only allow the product title and metatags to show, so I redid the entire lot in a much more straightforward manner. Still contemplating added a great description under the details.

Hi Min

Search engines like text on pages – otherwise they don’t have anything to crawl. So having some meaningful descriptions that contain (but are not stuffed with) keywords can only help with SEO.

I am sure the SEO experts on FS will correct me if I am way off base, but ideally a web page should have the main key word/phrase which is being targeted as
    – the first words in the title (ie the words that show in the tab at the top of your screen)
    – in the H1 tag
    – in the meta description
    – as well as near to the beginning of the text on the page as you can (and also at the end if there is a lot of text on the page).

MinzBeadz
    • Total posts: 103
    Up
    ExecAccess, post: 124081 wrote:
    Hi Min

Search engines like text on pages – otherwise they don’t have anything to crawl. So having some meaningful descriptions that contain (but are not stuffed with) keywords can only help with SEO.

I am sure the SEO experts on FS will correct me if I am way off base, but ideally a web page should have the main key word/phrase which is being targeted as
    – the first words in the title (ie the words that show in the tab at the top of your screen)
    – in the H1 tag
    – in the meta description
    – as well as near to the beginning of the text on the page as you can (and also at the end if there is a lot of text on the page).

Ah…got some misinformation somewhere then, thank you. I’ll get on to putting all my lovely descriptions back :)

ExecAccess
    • Total posts: 229
    Up
    MinzBeadz, post: 124182 wrote:
    Ah…got some misinformation somewhere then, thank you. I’ll get on to putting all my lovely descriptions back :)

Hi Min

Maybe just check if Zen Cart actually allows the search engines to crawl your product pages – I can’t see why it wouldn’t, indeed it would be ridiculous if it wouldn’t because how are your individual product pages ever going to get a chance of appearing in search engine results.

From the various comments you have made about Zen CartI think I would definitely be looking at relaunching the website using another platform.

All the best.

geegee
    • Total posts: 89
    Up
    jezz1988, post: 124045 wrote:
    Hey

In regards to the design of the website, I think the layout of it is fine, the thing that lets it down visually is the hot pink gradients in the background and in the web banner, they dominate the website and draw the eye away from the content you want to show.

If you use a solid color that isn’t too distracting I think your website would benefit from it heaps and look more corporate and professional.

I agree with Jeremy that the layout is fine. The site is looking much better now but the background is distracting. Try replacing it with a softer colour.

MinzBeadz
    • Total posts: 103
    Up
    geegee, post: 124479 wrote:
    I agree with Jeremy that the layout is fine. The site is looking much better now but the background is distracting. Try replacing it with a softer colour.

One of the many things that I have been emailing the person who did my website about for months!

geegee
    • Total posts: 89
    Up
    MinzBeadz, post: 124658 wrote:
    One of the many things that I have been emailing the person who did my website about for months!
    It is this file: http://minzbeadz.com.au/includes/templates/avant_template/images/background.gif that is the background. If you have an ftp program you could swap the current background.gif with another one.
    Steve – Adoria Photo
    • Total posts: 47
    Up

Hi Min,
    If you get to the point where you consider starting over… check if your website hosting server can run a WordPress site. WordPress is open source (free). Any hosting server that has a cpanel admin page can easily install WordPress at the click of a button.

You could then install a WordPress Woocommerce theme template. Here are some examples:
    http://www.woothemes.com/themes/woocommerce-themes/

This one is free:
    http://demo2.woothemes.com/?name=artificer

I’d recommend getting a theme that is responsive as they are designed to be smartphone / ipad friendly.

You can then extend the site with additonal plugins to provide other features such as Australia Post shipping calculations or payment gateways (I just use the free paypal gateway and shopping cart in the woothemes plugin for my Wife’s photography website).

One thing that might help your site would be to make your images a little bigger so the jewelry detail can be seen better.
    The password protected gallery on my site uses the Professor Cloud plugin so that clients can mouse over images to display detail in a zoom window… similar to the example on this site:
    http://www.professorcloud.com/mainsite/cloud-zoom.htm/

Regards,
    Steve – Adoria Photography
    http://adoriaphotography.com.au

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.