Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Website Review Request

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gavin
    • Total posts: 44
    Up
    ::

Hi all, have been busy the last week updating and tweaking Australian Shopping Online. Have added an Australian Business Guide and listing options.

1. What needs reviewing? (i.e. logo, website, idea etc…)

Particularly I would like feedback on usability, copy and general look/layout of the Business Guide and list my business page.

2. What does your business do?

I list Australian online shopping sites and businesses of all kinds in a directory

3. Who is your target market?

Consumers; Business Owners

4. What specific concerns do you have?

I’ve tried to make creating a listing as easy as possible, is it easy enough to understand?

colinl
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

Hi Gavin

Your site looks good but I will leave the real feedback to those who are trained in that sort of thing.

My question to you is, how are you going to go about generating traffic to the website? I don’t mean to sound negative but there has been a lot of these directories in the past & most of them eventually die out as, even though its a great idea, the issue is getting traffic to the site especially when there are great directories already out there.

To make sure that this new venture of yours is very successful, my recommendation is to have a very good strategy to generate targeted traffic to the site & by this we obviously mean consumers who want to browse through the different businesses listed. The more people you can get coming in through the front end (consumers) the more attractive it is for people in the back end (businesses wanting to list).

Good luck with it..

Alan Maddick
    • Total posts: 410
    Up

The site is too detail rich for me, ie too many words & too much scrolling for me

Just my opinion…

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up

I like the design overall, but I think in today’s world of big widescreen monitor having a full width design is not good – it’s too much turning of you head.

Widescreens are not for fitting more width on webpages which is why 95% of sites now fix their width – such as flying solo for example. Brilliant for spreadsheets but too much when it gets this wide.

Only other comment is how do your differentiate from every other directory – something I have to think about too as i’ll be launching a directory myself soon.

Best of luck
    Matt

Gavin
    Up
    colinl, post: 42212 wrote:
    Hi Gavin

Your site looks good but I will leave the real feedback to those who are trained in that sort of thing.

My question to you is, how are you going to go about generating traffic to the website? I don’t mean to sound negative but there has been a lot of these directories in the past & most of them eventually die out as, even though its a great idea, the issue is getting traffic to the site especially when there are great directories already out there.

To make sure that this new venture of yours is very successful, my recommendation is to have a very good strategy to generate targeted traffic to the site & by this we obviously mean consumers who want to browse through the different businesses listed. The more people you can get coming in through the front end (consumers) the more attractive it is for people in the back end (businesses wanting to list).

Good luck with it..

Hi Colin,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated! To answer your question about traffic, I currently receive a considerable amount of targeted visitors from search engines and facebook… With facebook ads I target different age groups, that are connected to or ‘like’ different pages and it seems to be working well.

I get where your coming from when you say ‘there has been a lot of these directories in the past’

I have tried to differentiate myself from my ‘direct competitors’ by being active and networking and also having the option of signing up instead of via an affiliation, which many of my competitors don’t allow. I want to open up the pool of merchants so I can acquire a better range of Australian shops. I’m dedicated to the success of this venture as have been at it a while now, just seeing how far I can push it =)

I will be starting an Adwords campaign with a modest budget next month when its ready, might even invest in someone to set it up, The site has been in development for a while now but still have some exciting stuff coming up before I can Launch it, working on a slider for the front page and some other cool stuff at the moment. I just need to finish, not that a site like this is ever finished!

Cheers again

SmallBusinessWorks, post: 42224 wrote:
    The site is too detail rich for me, ie too many words & too much scrolling for me

Just my opinion…

Hey Alan, Cheers for the feedback! I’m working on simplifying the front page with tabs, and a different layout, am working on it over the weekend =)

Thanks!

marketingweb, post: 42270 wrote:
    I like the design overall, but I think in today’s world of big widescreen monitor having a full width design is not good – it’s too much turning of you head.

Widescreens are not for fitting more width on webpages which is why 95% of sites now fix their width – such as flying solo for example. Brilliant for spreadsheets but too much when it gets this wide.

Only other comment is how do your differentiate from every other directory – something I have to think about too as i’ll be launching a directory myself soon.

Best of luck
    Matt

Hey Matt,

Thanks for your comments and taking the time,

As per your advice I’ve changed *back to fixed, I only recently changed to fluid and it didn’t make much difference on my laptop, I didn’t think anything of it at the time :)

How do I differentiate from every other directory? Hmm, I have tried to gain an edge over my ‘direct competitors’ (online shopping directories) by adding the business guide and having the option of signing up instead of via an affiliate program… this way I can have a wider range of online shops and services since many other online shopping guides/directories don’t allow, they prefer to only work on commission which is fine!

I do have to work out a USP though…

Cheers for the feedback guys, You’ve all given me something to think on, Hope you all have a great weekend, Thanks again!

Gavin

melbstrip
    • Total posts: 114
    Up

For what its worth, as a no-nothing layman, I like the site. In fact I will shortly be taking advantage of the business directory and popping myself in there :)

Gavin
    Up

Thanks Melbstrip =)

Still have a huge to-do list to get done, and haven’t been able to get any jquery goodness working yet, so have had to make do with a static layout…for now.

Am working on some email marketing atm for the business directory, and am having some success which is exciting!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.