Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Website Review: Sydney Business Directory

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jason G
    • Total posts: 32
    Up
    ::

Hi Everyone,

We recently launched Sydney’s Pages 4 months ago. Things are going well, though we’d love some feedback to further improve and create the best user experience possible.

This site: http://www.sydneyspages.com.au

What does your business do?
    Sydney’s Pages is a business directory dedicated for Sydney.

We provide businesses a platform to increase exposure, get a positive ROI and give the further benefit of direct SE advertising for each business listed in the directory to further reach their relevant target market.
    We provide users a platform to quickly find what they are looking for.

What needs reviewing? (i.e. logo, website, idea etc…)

• Is the website easy to navigate?
    • Is it clear enough in terms of what the purpose of the website is and how to use it?
    • How do you find the loading times?
    • Any general thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading

Luke Jones
    Up

Hi Jason,

My initial thoughts/impressions in no particular order:

• Not a huge fan of the interaction of the light blue header at the top and the blue in the logo, they don’t really complement each other.
    • On the logo, I think it would be a great idea to run a cheap 99designs comp to get a new logo together, I think it would really improve the site’s appearance.
    • Personal view, I’m not a huge fan of bombarding people with information (eg, I’m not sure why you’d need weather). I reckon focus on the search and maybe one featured business and make sure the assets look great.
    • I reckon the structure of the categories drop-down needs some work, there is so much info it doesn’t even fit on my browser screen. Have a look at how fiverr.com treat their category structure.

Otherwise I found the loading times OK and the rest of it pretty clear. Nice job.

Cheers,
    Luke

help4bis.com
    • Total posts: 268
    Up

Hey Jason,
    Good stuff, I agree with what Luke said, with some minor pointers.

First, establish its purpose… is it promoting businesses or is it promoting YOU to promote businesses?

Reason for the question is, that my eye draws to Sydney’s pages and the FB block on the bottom.

Search for has two search boxes, from experience – using a heatmap, people tend to click on the categories that presented to them.

Jason G
    Up

@Luke – You’re absolutely right about the blue in the logo, and the logo in general, and i know what you mean about bombarding with info. The categories drop down definitely will be adjusted to be more friendly.

@help4bis – You make a very good point, it should be more clear as to what it is we offer, and i agree the presenting categories in a friendly way would be beneficial.

Thanks for the great feedback and tips guys, really appreciate it.

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up

I think you should give up on this idea.

Sounds harsh but if yellow pages and true local are sinking what hope do you have?

– Just my 2 cents.

Jason G
    Up
    IncredibleCo, post: 196181 wrote:
    I think you should give up on this idea.

Sounds harsh but if yellow pages and true local are sinking what hope do you have?

– Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for sharing your opinion, mate.

I can understand why you would say that. I understand why those directories are declining. The reality is, Sydney’s Pages isn’t YP OR TL. We have a different angle, offering and UVP.

We are receiving growing interest from businesses looking to advertise in the directory and site visits are increasing steadily. Definitely not a time to “give up”.

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up

No worries – passion certainly goes a long way to the success of any business. So good luck!

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    JasonSP, post: 196276 wrote:
    I can understand why you would say that. I understand why those directories are declining. The reality is, Sydney’s Pages isn’t YP OR TL. We have a different angle, offering and UVP.What is that?

it may be worth looking at the website with that in mind. To me, it looks like a standard business directory. It may be worth ensuring that the UVP is highlighted.

Byron Trzeciak
    Participant
    • Total posts: 423
    Up

Hi Jason,

How are you mate? Congrats on the business thus far and sounds like you’re seeing some solid results.

My primary concern when looking at the business listings is when I see something like this
    https://www.sydneyspages.com.au/listings/century-21-synergy/

Your url doesn’t provide a suburb or category such as real estate agents. Listings should possibly be changed to business or use the category in which it’s assigned so you’ll have something more like

https://www.sydneyspages.com.au/real-estate-agents/century-21-synergy/

“listings” is pretty much in all of your URLs and to me it doesn’t make much sense from an SEO perspective.

On the home page, or any for that matter, I don’t see any reason why I should sign my business up based on the information you’ve provided to me. How exactly do you provide a return on investment and what exactly is my investment?

The information you have on your advertise page should be put on every page as your call to action and encourage visitors to signup with their own business.

I think you need to do more to differentiate yourself from business directories such as the yellow pages and truelocal. I don’t see any value with them for my business and typically see them as an opportunity for overseas services to contact me about outsourcing my own, so you’d need to change my opinion if I was your visitor.

Your naked URL that provide link juice to websites might be an advantage as businesses might use it as a backlinking service.

All the best with it though, launching is the hardest part and now you can refine and improve.

Cheers

SeaChange Centre
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Hi Jason,

I like the look of your site, nice and clean, professional. Congratulations!

My two cents worth….
    Just one thing, you don’t mention the cost to list, or provide alternatives/choices. When I set aside time for marketing, I need to know what my choices are, and quickly. Your advertise page wants me to contact you to find out the costs, however, I need to know, now. DLook is a competitor of yours, and I can see immediately on their site how much it will cost me and what I’ll get for that. Plus it gives me choices. So I can weigh that information up and make a decision, on the spot.

Unfortunately we are used to instant gratification these days, and that includes business.

Other than that, looking good :-)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.