Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Website review – www.prodigymobile.com.au

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Luke Jones
    • Total posts: 32
    Up
    ::

Hi guys,

My business has been going through a few iterations of our website http://www.prodigymobile.com.au, before landing on our current version.

I’d love to hear your feedback on how we can improve our website and get our message across more effectively. A super short summary of what we do is provide app development services to clients for a fee.

Please be as brutal as possible, it’s the only way we can improve. I’ll start the conversation, I’ve got to move the logo position down by 5 pixels (ish) of the responsive logo when you start scrolling down.

Thanks!
    Luke

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Hi Luke

A very, shiny site! It looks terrific. I’ve only had a quick hop around and was mightily impressed. I think navigating back from the blog to the main site could be smoother, but that’s all I’ve picked up on this initial view.

I look forward to seeing what others say (aside from “I’d like one of those please!”).

Robert

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Hi,,

A couple of minor things.

On my version of IE your contact page doesnt tell me what to enter in each line )just blank lines).

I like to see a name of the person I am going to contact (ie Fred lor charlie will do)

Where you say you have being featured, maybe a lik to the articles.

Otherwise looks good.

Bert

help4bis.com
    • Total posts: 268
    Up

Like it.

Agree with the post about going back from the blog… The menu bar seems to disappear.
    Perhaps put a clear all in the CSS to have it reset so the menu bar hs the original colors.

Make the anchor for our work to go a bit lower, so the images of your apps center on the screen (vertical) better. Currently they slightly under the bottom of the screen.

Similar with process, push “our work” down a little, it is to prominent on the Process page…

This is the thing with parallax pages or single pages it is the trend now a days :-). But be careful to balance your focus area with your next page. With that, ensure the viewer is presented with what they looked for.

Do a bit of clean up of your CSS files… I think there are a few conflicts.

Hope this helps.

Luke Jones
    Up

@Robert I felt a bit uncomfortable about the way the blog worked and the transition that is different to the rest of the links. I’m going to change it so it will scroll down like the rest of the links and show our latest blog post, then have an ability from that point to jump into the full blog. Thanks for the positive feedback :-)

@Bert
    Do you mind telling me what version of IE you’re using? We made a call that we’re only going to support IE9+ but we noticed that the javascript we put together doesn’t quite work fully in IE9. I’m going to have another crack at it to get it fully compatible. Interesting idea about knowing who you’re going to contact, I reckon I’ll add that to the TODO list also, cheers! As for the articles I toyed with the ideas of direct links but found them to be a bit flakey as the WSJ moved the exact article location so I thought twice about it. Thanks for you great input.

@help4bis.com Seems like we have consensus on the blog interaction, I’ll prioritise that as the first change. Great idea on the anchor with “our work”, will implement that. I’m going to have a crack at consolidating all css files to reduce HTTP requests and help load time, should resolve the conflicts in that process too.

Thanks so much for your input guys, we really appreciate it!

bb1
    Participant
    Up

Luke. I am running IE9.

But I would also suggest that not supporting lower versions is an issue, of my circle of friends i would say at least 50% are running older versions. In your business, your intro to the world is your website and if half your potential users are going to get dodgy results, they say good bye.

help4bis.com
    • Total posts: 268
    Up

Perhaps something like this might help you out.

http://browsershots.org/http://www.prodigymobile.com.au/

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

I like the site a lot.

“Builtwith” is telling me it’s WPress.

If so, it’s one of tightest and quickest deliveries I’ve seen with WP.

I don’t use IE, so can’t comment there.

A quick question though … it seems you’ve integrated Tumblr for blogging … just wondered why (just curious) you haven’t used the WP internals (or is “built with” leading me up the garden path).

Regardless, a very professional site. A very good lead in, for any one looking for an app.

Cheers

Luke Jones
    Up
    bb1, post: 195813 wrote:
    Luke. I am running IE9.

But I would also suggest that not supporting lower versions is an issue, of my circle of friends i would say at least 50% are running older versions. In your business, your intro to the world is your website and if half your potential users are going to get dodgy results, they say good bye.

Hi bb1, definitely take your point so I drilled down on around a year’s worth of Google Analytics data. We are obviously a specific interest group so we can’t assume we’d have the same demographic as a site like theage.com.au. Looking at the data and breaking it down to people accessing our site with IE8 or below it came to 2.48% total. Not a huge figure but still around 1 out of 40 potential customers. It probably won’t be a high priority but I might spend some time to come up with a lo-fi site if we get people accessing the site with IE 8 or below.

Thanks for your input.

Luke Jones
    Up
    help4bis.com, post: 195815 wrote:
    Perhaps something like this might help you out.

http://browsershots.org/http://www.prodigymobile.com.au/

Not a bad site. We use macs at our office (given that we’re usually developing iPhone apps) so I use the following resource to test web apps and sites in Internet Explorer, https://github.com/xdissent/ievms. I’d highly recommend it. It allows you to boot up a virtual machine and test various versions of IE from 6 all the way to 11.

Luke Jones
    Up
    estim8, post: 195820 wrote:
    I like the site a lot.

“Builtwith” is telling me it’s WPress.

If so, it’s one of tightest and quickest deliveries I’ve seen with WP.

I don’t use IE, so can’t comment there.

A quick question though … it seems you’ve integrated Tumblr for blogging … just wondered why (just curious) you haven’t used the WP internals (or is “built with” leading me up the garden path).

Regardless, a very professional site. A very good lead in, for any one looking for an app.

Cheers

Hi estim8,

We’re not delivering with WordPress (I use builtwith a lot also but sometimes it’s a bit hit and miss). We do use tumblr, bit of an experiment, but given all the feedback I’m actually thinking of delivering our blogs through WordPress specific only to the blog. The general site is a custom mix of Bootstrap and some other html5 packages.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    Luke Jones, post: 195826 wrote:
    Hi estim8,

We’re not delivering with WordPress (I use builtwith a lot also but sometimes it’s a bit hit and miss). We do use tumblr, bit of an experiment, but given all the feedback I’m actually thinking of delivering our blogs through WordPress specific only to the blog. The general site is a custom mix of Bootstrap and some other html5 packages.

It’s why I asked if it was WP … it seemed too quick (and I didn’t look at page source).

I get mixed stuff coming back off “builtwith” as well.

I use Sinatra a bit and on some platforms it reports Rails, and on others no backend framework at all …

You’ve confirmed some doubts, thanks.

Still a nice site though, Cheers

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    Luke Jones, post: 195823 wrote:
    Hi bb1, definitely take your point so I drilled down on around a year’s worth of Google Analytics data. We are obviously a specific interest group so we can’t assume we’d have the same demographic as a site like theage.com.au. Looking at the data and breaking it down to people accessing our site with IE8 or below it came to 2.48% total. Not a huge figure but still around 1 out of 40 potential customers. It probably won’t be a high priority but I might spend some time to come up with a lo-fi site if we get people accessing the site with IE 8 or below.

Thanks for your input.

Luke that 1 in 40 could be your next big client. I remember back when I was staring out letter boxing my flyers at a body corporate where I had just done a job for peanuts, some guy drove out and said I was wasting my time putting flyers in the letter boxes there as no one had decent backyards, stuborn me kept going.

2 Weeks later I had a call from the chairman of the committee, would I quote on doing the maintenance for the whole establishment. From putting out flyers where there was supposedly no work, I won my than biggest client. Dont rule out the 1% factor they could be your next biig client. A fault I often see on this and other forums, the small fish can sometimes attrack a huge monster.

Luke Jones
    Up
    bb1, post: 195832 wrote:
    Luke that 1 in 40 could be your next big client. I remember back when I was staring out letter boxing my flyers at a body corporate where I had just done a job for peanuts, some guy drove out and said I was wasting my time putting flyers in the letter boxes there as no one had decent backyards, stuborn me kept going.

2 Weeks later I had a call from the chairman of the committee, would I quote on doing the maintenance for the whole establishment. From putting out flyers where there was supposedly no work, I won my than biggest client. Dont rule out the 1% factor they could be your next biig client. A fault I often see on this and other forums, the small fish can sometimes attrack a huge monster.

bb1, definitely not disagreeing with you. We’re super hungry to chase down every lead we can. It’s just a balance of priorities given that we’re just a boutique and it feels like there is always so much more work to do compared to the time we have. I’ve been thinking about doing a flyer drop but I’m not sure if it’s appropriate for our business, not sure if you have some thoughts on that?

TrishF
    • Total posts: 192
    Up

Love it.

The only negative I see is I have to scroll right to the footer to find your phone number – why not put it in the header? Even clicking “Contact” only takes me to your contact form – still have to scroll to find the phone number.

Looks good on iPhone too, but annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to contact you.

Cheers
    Trish Fehon

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.