Home – New Forums Tech talk Website Traffic

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    quickbas
    • Total posts: 53
    Up
    ::

Hi MEC

Firstly, I think your site looks good – easy to navigate and lots of keywords.

But website traffic is a slow-burn. Don’t expect instant results. Firstly Google and other search engines need to know you exist. But that in itself means very little for ranking. You will need links to your site. Some links will appear organically, others you will need to encourage/make. This takes time for the links to appear, and time for the search engines to pick up on them.

If you started the site just 2 weeks ago, then I am not surprised there is no traffic yet.

My own experience: started QuickBAS in November 2014. Made a Google Local/Business page. Started a modest Adwords campaign. Started a modest Facebook ads campaign. Each at $10/day (I’m competing against some big guns – Quicken/Reckon/MYOB). Adding content regularly, active on forums, got a Mac App Store link (not sure what thats worth). Now I am on page 1 of Google for one keyword phrase “BAS software” and page 2 for “Small Business Accounting”. I still have Google pagerank of 0.

After over 2 months, I am now getting about 50-100 hits per day, at about 50% bounce rate. Breakdown is about 1 third each for paid search, organic search and direct referral. Of the visitors who stay, 0-5 convert (download my app) each day.

But I am seeing a slow but steady improvement each week. For me, the website IS the business – software is described and downloaded from there.

For you, your business is providing a physical service. The website is a advertising method, an information pack, a contact point. Don’t think of the website as your whole business. Be patient, and address the points the others have made, and slowly traffic will pick up. You have made a good start.

quickbas
    • Total posts: 53
    Up

It has been pointed out to me that Google search results are personalised if you are logged in to a Google account (Gmail, Google + etc). Results are based on past search history, maybe gmail content, etc.

On that basis, my site comes up quite well on Google, but that is not what others will see.

There are a pair of icons at the top right of Google’s search results page which allow you to toggle between personalised/private search results, and all search results. Makes a huge difference – when I choose to see non-personalised results, my pagerank 0 site does not show on Google. I have a long way to go.

This was news to me, hope it helps you.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up
    John Romaine, post: 206262 wrote:
    I’m not sure how this site is setup, but it doesn’t make any sense to show your content via …

Is this a Wix site Aiden?

It is, or at least it was when I looked at it a couple of weeks ago – looks to have changed somewhat in the meantime…

Agree with you on the content and on the code duplication etc

OP – just forget about meta keywords, there is really no point now and even less point in having multiple meta keyword tags!

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi MEC,

The google SEO algorithms have changed meaning that the backlinks/links you are getting from localblue, yellowpages, yelp, etc. are not as important as they once were.

The number of links to your website still matter however its all about “quality” and “relevance” now. Hence, adding your website to directories will not increase your traffic.

Also when I google “site:www.murphyelectricalcontractors.com” you can see all pages of your website that are indexed.

99% of your headings

tags are “Electricians”, “Murphy Electrical Contractors” and “Gold Coast”.

This is great if your clients are searching for “Murphy Electricians Gold Coast”, if however clients searched for “Electricians Gold Coast” you would most likely be missing out since there are pages that are older with greater domain authority then yours. Not to mention the Adwords campaigns run for those keywords.

If you are on a budget and can’t spend money on targeted FB ads or Adwords. I would recommend adding a Blog to your website.

You could install WordPress that has user-friendly admin feature to help you schedule and publish blog posts.

I would then go about creating blog posts with “long-tail keywords” – essentially these a long phrases of words put together. A free tool you can use to find these phrases is http://keywordtool.io/.

For example: I entered “what is surge protection” and found a popular search phrase: “what is difference between surge protector and power strip”

Now create a blog post with the heading “what is difference between surge protector and power strip”. Explaining the difference and giving your knowledge. Inside the article add a link back to websites services section as well. Please don’t copy and paste information from another website as that will bring down your ratings!

Essentially you are targeting these phrases that most websites miss, you are creating valuable and quality content that google and users will appreciate. There is a chance that this article could be linked to from another quality website increasing your websites authority. This can all be done on a zero budget. Hope that helps!

Erol Balci
    erolbalci.com

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up
    Erol, post: 206485 wrote:
    the backlinks/links you are getting from localblue, yellowpages, yelp, etc. are not as important as they once were.

Citations have always held importance. Including your site in all of the credible business directories (yellow pages, true local, yelp, start local, etc) is something that every small business owner should do as part of their foundational link building strategy.

Infact, it has more to do with building brand authority and common sense really than it has to do with “backlinks”.

Chances are if you someone searches for a “plumber in Sydney”, they might end up on the Yellow Pages website, where they then find your listing, and click through to your site.

These sites have huge authority. Leverage that authority to direct traffic back to your site – and of course demonstrate business legitimacy.

MEC
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

Please have a look at our new website it is still with wix

i have another domain as well http://www.gold-coastelectrician.com.au

Aidan, post: 206287 wrote:
    It is, or at least it was when I looked at it a couple of weeks ago – looks to have changed somewhat in the meantime…

Agree with you on the content and on the code duplication etc

OP – just forget about meta keywords, there is really no point now and even less point in having multiple meta keyword tags!

MEC
    Up

Thank you for the reply and all the great information, please check out our new website and let me know what you think.

http://www.murphyelectricalcontractors.com or
    http://www.gold-coastelectrician.com.au

quickbas, post: 206266 wrote:
    Hi MEC

Firstly, I think your site looks good – easy to navigate and lots of keywords.

But website traffic is a slow-burn. Don’t expect instant results. Firstly Google and other search engines need to know you exist. But that in itself means very little for ranking. You will need links to your site. Some links will appear organically, others you will need to encourage/make. This takes time for the links to appear, and time for the search engines to pick up on them.

If you started the site just 2 weeks ago, then I am not surprised there is no traffic yet.

My own experience: started QuickBAS in November 2014. Made a Google Local/Business page. Started a modest Adwords campaign. Started a modest Facebook ads campaign. Each at $10/day (I’m competing against some big guns – Quicken/Reckon/MYOB). Adding content regularly, active on forums, got a Mac App Store link (not sure what thats worth). Now I am on page 1 of Google for one keyword phrase “BAS software” and page 2 for “Small Business Accounting”. I still have Google pagerank of 0.

After over 2 months, I am now getting about 50-100 hits per day, at about 50% bounce rate. Breakdown is about 1 third each for paid search, organic search and direct referral. Of the visitors who stay, 0-5 convert (download my app) each day.

But I am seeing a slow but steady improvement each week. For me, the website IS the business – software is described and downloaded from there.

For you, your business is providing a physical service. The website is a advertising method, an information pack, a contact point. Don’t think of the website as your whole business. Be patient, and address the points the others have made, and slowly traffic will pick up. You have made a good start.

MEC
    Up

Thank you for the reply and the great information, will be looking into adding a blog i have just done a lot of updating to the website.

If you have time would appreciate you taking a look and give me feed back

http://www.murphyelectricalcontractors.com

Erol, post: 206485 wrote:
    Hi MEC,

The google SEO algorithms have changed meaning that the backlinks/links you are getting from localblue, yellowpages, yelp, etc. are not as important as they once were.

The number of links to your website still matter however its all about “quality” and “relevance” now. Hence, adding your website to directories will not increase your traffic.

Also when I google “site:www.murphyelectricalcontractors.com” you can see all pages of your website that are indexed.

99% of your headings

tags are “Electricians”, “Murphy Electrical Contractors” and “Gold Coast”.

This is great if your clients are searching for “Murphy Electricians Gold Coast”, if however clients searched for “Electricians Gold Coast” you would most likely be missing out since there are pages that are older with greater domain authority then yours. Not to mention the Adwords campaigns run for those keywords.

If you are on a budget and can’t spend money on targeted FB ads or Adwords. I would recommend adding a Blog to your website.

You could install WordPress that has user-friendly admin feature to help you schedule and publish blog posts.

I would then go about creating blog posts with “long-tail keywords” – essentially these a long phrases of words put together. A free tool you can use to find these phrases is http://keywordtool.io/.

For example: I entered “what is surge protection” and found a popular search phrase: “what is difference between surge protector and power strip”

Now create a blog post with the heading “what is difference between surge protector and power strip”. Explaining the difference and giving your knowledge. Inside the article add a link back to websites services section as well. Please don’t copy and paste information from another website as that will bring down your ratings!

Essentially you are targeting these phrases that most websites miss, you are creating valuable and quality content that google and users will appreciate. There is a chance that this article could be linked to from another quality website increasing your websites authority. This can all be done on a zero budget. Hope that helps!

Erol Balci
    erolbalci.com

MEC
    Up

Thank you for the reply and the information i have made updates to our website any feed back would be appreciated.

John Romaine, post: 206262 wrote:
    I’m not sure how this site is setup, but it doesn’t make any sense to show your content via http://www.murphyelectricalcontractors.com/?_escaped_fragment_=

I found that because I see no content when viewing the source code on your home page. The problem appears to extend further to your inner pages.

http://www.murphyelectricalcontractors.com/?_escaped_fragment_=services/ceb2

This really isn’t ideal.

Is this a Wix site Aiden?

PS – Almost all of your meta data is duplicated also.

John Romaine
    Participant
    Up
    MEC, post: 207254 wrote:
    Please have a look at our new website it is still with wix

i have another domain as well http://www.gold-coastelectrician.com.au

How many domains have you got?

MEC
    Up

Just two

John Romaine, post: 207258 wrote:
    How many domains have you got?
    EdmundPelgen
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

Hey Mec,

Please do not replicate your site exactly onto another domain.

For some reason, everyone seems to think this is the path to more traffic. It isn’t.

What you have here is called Cross Domain Duplication. It’s bad. You are just going to confuse Google as to which site is the “real one”.

Just stick with the Murphy one, which has 5 links (the other has none) as the business name is more authentic than the other one.

I’ve had clients who had a spare 20 domains and thought it would be a great idea to have the site appear on all domains. It completely imploaded their rankings.

Everyone else has given great suggestions. Mine is to try to make your site more “real” by using real names, real pictures of staff etc. People connect with “real” people remember.

Also go get some more links..there are a ton of quality local directories you havent even touched yet.

Given the nature of your business making sure your Google My Business listing is correctly set up and visible as local search is going to be critical for you.

Check out the White Spark Local Citation finder as a tool to help you find more local links.

Good luck

Ed

John Romaine
    Participant
    Up

Wow, I didn’t even bother to look.

Huge no-no.

MD Clean
    Participant
    • Total posts: 308
    Up

OK guys, cough it up…

There should be an easy way to use re-directs and/or no-follows etc to not do damage to SERPS.

Or is the best way for a NEW site to just pull down the old site and start afresh?

MEC
    Up

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the reply and the great information. I have removed my second domain. I will started adding our company to more directories today.

I have setup my google business account but i feel that it’s not correctly setup my local listing doesn’t come up for Burleigh or Burleigh Waters.

Thanks again, Mec

EdmundPelgen, post: 207470 wrote:
    Hey Mec,

Please do not replicate your site exactly onto another domain.

For some reason, everyone seems to think this is the path to more traffic. It isn’t.

What you have here is called Cross Domain Duplication. It’s bad. You are just going to confuse Google as to which site is the “real one”.

Just stick with the Murphy one, which has 5 links (the other has none) as the business name is more authentic than the other one.

I’ve had clients who had a spare 20 domains and thought it would be a great idea to have the site appear on all domains. It completely imploaded their rankings.

Everyone else has given great suggestions. Mine is to try to make your site more “real” by using real names, real pictures of staff etc. People connect with “real” people remember.

Also go get some more links..there are a ton of quality local directories you havent even touched yet.

Given the nature of your business making sure your Google My Business listing is correctly set up and visible as local search is going to be critical for you.

Check out the White Spark Local Citation finder as a tool to help you find more local links.

Good luck

Ed

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.