Home – New Forums Tech talk Website Traffic

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1176536
    MatthewKeath
    Member
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    0
    ::
    MD Clean, post: 207495 wrote:
    OK guys, cough it up…

    There should be an easy way to use re-directs and/or no-follows etc to not do damage to SERPS.

    Or is the best way for a NEW site to just pull down the old site and start afresh?301 redirects is the best way.

    http://moz.com/learn/seo/redirection

    #1176537
    John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up
    0
    ::
    MD Clean, post: 207495 wrote:
    OK guys, cough it up…

    There should be an easy way to use re-directs and/or no-follows etc to not do damage to SERPS.

    Or is the best way for a NEW site to just pull down the old site and start afresh?

    No. Just don’t do it.

    #1176538
    MatthewKeath
    Member
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    0
    ::
    John Romaine, post: 207526 wrote:
    No. Just don’t do it.The best method to redirect a site if they change domain is 301 right?
    #1176539
    John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up
    0
    ::
    MatthewKeath, post: 207533 wrote:
    The best method to redirect a site if they change domain is 301 right?

    I think there may have been miscommunication here Matty.

    By “not doing it”, I meant duplicating a site across several domains. You just don’t do it. Google will essentially determine which site it wants to display, and de-index the others – or worse still, penalise you for it, and flush the lot.

    If you’ve changed domains, then yes, set appropriate 301 redirects at the server level, set a change of address within WMT and set your preferred domain.

    Now it’s time for a cuppa.

    #1176540
    JohnW
    Member
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi MEC,
    Please bear with me while I go back to SE basics here. Basic principles, some search examples and Google can tell us a lot about what is needed.

    Some SE Basics
    SEs are trying to identify pages that are most likely to provide the best answers to the questions asked of them.

    So, the first step is to qualify for all relevant questions, if you can.

    The second step is to rank above all other pages that also match the search query. This is a point scoring competition of how the individual words in the search query are used on the ranked page and on the pages that link to it.

    Generally speaking:

    • The more pages that match a search query, the more points your page will need to rank #1.
    • The more words used in a search query, the fewer pages that match it and the less points you will need to rank #1.
    • For an electrician, you should expect more page competition when people search for a large city than for a small suburb.

    The task primarily revolves around the written words on pages and how well they answer the questions asked in the SEs. You need to provide search query specific pages as best you can. If your page offers little more than a shopping list of words, all the words that do NOT relate to the search query will dilute the ranking value of the page to the search query.

    Example Google Search Query: electrician Burleigh Heads

    • Ranked #3 = rubyelectrical.com.au/electrician-burleigh-heads/
    • Not in the top 50 = rubyelectrical.com.au/areas-service/

    The first page contains more information about electical services than the second and fewer location words. The second contains a long list of location words and almost nothing about electrical services.

    Your Contact page is like the page above, no information about electical services and a long, long list of towns/suburbs that are diluting each other for ranking importance.

    Then there are external links…

    External links are part of Google’s rank point scoring but there can be best part of 20 parameters Google can use and whose ranking point values it can weight.

    General business directories (Eg: Yellow Pages, True Local, Hot Frog) and social media sites (Eg: Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus/Business) are inherently incapable of making much use of these multiple parameters. As a consequence, a link from a directory page buried deep in its multi-million pages adds an extremely low value to your page’s ranking points.

    Their biggest problems are:

    • They have problems delivering search topic relevant content.
    • Their ranking relevance is often diluted by non-relevant content
    • They can cause Google indexing problems (Facebook & Twitter)

    If you’ve followed directory sites over the years, you would find that they have tended to increase the numbers of businesses listed on their pages from about 10 to 35 or so. This has increased their “electician” content but often diluted their location word when there are not 35 electricians in a specific suburb.

    It is easy to see how poorly directories score in Google’s algorithm. Compare the Google results of these two queries:

    • electrician Sydney
    • electrician Burleigh Heads

    There is only one directory listed in the top 10 “Sydney” search but five listed for the “Burleigh Heads” search.

    The difference is that there are a lot of electricians’ websites using SEO tactics to target “Sydney” that knock the directory pages out but only one targeting “Burleigh Heads”.

    Your site’s biggest problems are:

    1. Lack of Relevant Content
    If you don’t have the information on your web pages to answer the questions potential clients pose in the search engines, you will not be found in the search results.

    IMHO, lack of content is your biggest killer of SE referrals.

    2. Location Searches
    Google uses a lot of signals to identify your and your site visitor’s location. These can include your physical address in government records, major business directories and Google Plus/Business.

    Do you have a consistent physical address listed across all of these? I can see you listed with an address in Burleigh Heads, Burleigh Waters and Burleigh Town.

    3. Blogging
    There is nothing special to a SE about a blog. What I don’t like about a separate blog section is that its pages often take people to the wrong part of a website and it can devalue the important site pages to SEs.

    You need more content about your Services and the different types of customers to whom you provide them. You should get more business enquiries by linking your content from these sections of your site. Creating pages in a blog section will likely weaken the ranking value of your Service pages.

    You have a long bullet list of different “services” on your Industrial Electrician page. You want to link from this page to articles about the different services.

    Who do you provide them for? You need a list that includes Eg. schools, retail stores, offices, etc. and you need to link from this bullet list to pages of category specific examples.

    4. External Links
    Don’t worry about them. You are in a very low search ranking point market. Look at the results in the example above for rubyelectrical.com.au. It seems like it has almost no external links and its #3 ranked page uses very basic SEO. You should be able to rank up there with it based on improving your content, site structure and on-page SEO factors.

    Hope this helps,
    JohnW

    #1176541
    MD Clean
    Participant
    • Total posts: 308
    Up
    0
    ::

    Dear John W.

    Awesome post. thank you.

    The only thing I would debate with you is that a well written blog and/or podcast and/or videos (with transcripts) is that they are great for keyword diversification while at the same time, they can significantly improve customer engagement.

    Good blogs demonstrate an understanding of customer problems and how to solve them. As well, they can help you express how you are different to your competitors, your level of expertise, how you go about your craft, the respect you have for your work etc, etc

    And they point G in the direction of relevant content on a variety of topics of interest to searchers.

    #1176542
    JohnW
    Member
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    0
    ::
    MD Clean, post: 207710 wrote:
    Dear John W.

    Awesome post. thank you.

    The only thing I would debate with you is that a well written blog and/or podcast and/or videos (with transcripts) is that they are great for keyword diversification while at the same time, they can significantly improve customer engagement.

    Good blogs demonstrate an understanding of customer problems and how to solve them. As well, they can help you express how you are different to your competitors, your level of expertise, how you go about your craft, the respect you have for your work etc, etc

    And they point G in the direction of relevant content on a variety of topics of interest to searchers.
    Hi Paul,
    I’m not sure what you want to debate. I haven’t said anything about podcasts, videos or keywords. :)

    If an electrician has relevant podcasts and videos, all I’m suggesting is that they be displayed on pages that are linked from relevant Services, Customer type or About Us sections of the site. That’s where site visitors expect to find important info of the type you raise. (USPs, expertise, experience, customer service, etc.)

    I’ve assessed many websites over the years that included an appended “blog” section and for so many small business category websites, site visitors just don’t go to “blogs”. (I’m talking about much less than 1% of total site pageviews.)

    I also don’t understand why you think a blog section of a website is needed to broaden the range of search terms that a site owner can target.

    That said, I do see a lot of websites with poor content structure. This can be further constrained by a limiting configuration of a content management system.

    With respect, we can’t jump from a poor website configuration to the solution being a separate blog. That will be a very poor compromise, IMHO.
    Best regs,
    JohnW

    #1176543
    MD Clean
    Participant
    • Total posts: 308
    Up
    0
    ::
    JohnW, post: 207772 wrote:
    Hi Paul,
    I’m not sure what you want to debate. I haven’t said anything about podcasts, videos or keywords. :)

    If an electrician has relevant podcasts and videos, all I’m suggesting is that they be displayed on pages that are linked from relevant Services, Customer type or About Us sections of the site. That’s where site visitors expect to find important info of the type you raise. (USPs, expertise, experience, customer service, etc.)

    I’ve assessed many websites over the years that included an appended “blog” section and for so many small business category websites, site visitors just don’t go to “blogs”. (I’m talking about much less than 1% of total site pageviews.)

    I also don’t understand why you think a blog section of a website is needed to broaden the range of search terms that a site owner can target.

    That said, I do see a lot of websites with poor content structure. This can be further constrained by a limiting configuration of a content management system.

    With respect, we can’t jump from a poor website configuration to the solution being a separate blog. That will be a very poor compromise, IMHO.
    Best regs,
    JohnW

    Hi John,

    Debate is far too strong a word. My mistake. My brain was so fried from overwork that I tried (I really did) but failed to find a better word.

    I agree with what you are saying, especially, effectively that bad content is bad content and should not be on a website at all.

    And I am guessing that you have seen tons of blogs that have been created because somebody said something like, “you must have a blog”, along with cheaply bought or stolen content etc.

    And you do make a strong argument that Google will like local businesses without a blog where they have a well structured and informative site.

    And I am referring to blogs that I follow that are exceptionally well done… so therefore, they are my templates.

    The form that well done blogs take (generally a little less structured, more personal, more intimate) is what I mean.

    They generally also allow for a more long-form and story telling approach. And Australians love story telling.

    And long form story telling allows for plenty of relevant content for Google to love.

    #1176544
    JohnW
    Member
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    0
    ::
    MD Clean, post: 207775 wrote:
    The form that well done blogs take (generally a little less structured, more personal, more intimate) is what I mean.

    They generally also allow for a more long-form and story telling approach. And Australians love story telling.

    And long form story telling allows for plenty of relevant content for Google to love.
    Hi Paul,
    What Google “loves” is content relevant to the search query.

    It is not the volume of information that SEs love it is the page’s specificity or relevance to the search query. You will find countless examples of pages that contain less than 100 words that out rank “squillions” of 10,000 word pages.

    The important SEO issues are the search query and the competition for it.

    You don’t need a “long-form” story in this example of an electician’s website. What is needed is lots of SHORT-FORM pages that target people searching for an electician’s services in all the different Gold Coast suburbs and towns.

    If implemented effectively, MEC should attract many, many more relevant SE referrals with 10 x 200 word pages of relevant content than one 2,000 word long-form page that mentions a bunch of suburbs/towns.

    It is the scores of different location word searches that is the SEO challenge here. There is very little competition for them so you will not need a long story to rank well for them.

    Site Owners Beware: I see a lot of manipulated/mangled content pages trying to provide simple SEO solutions to this problem. Google can often identity them and relegate them to its supplementary index.
    Regs,
    JohnW

    #1176545
    MD Clean
    Participant
    • Total posts: 308
    Up
    0
    ::
    JohnW, post: 207777 wrote:
    Hi Paul,
    What Google “loves” is content relevant to the search query.

    It is not the volume of information that SEs love it is the page’s specificity or relevance to the search query. You will find countless examples of pages that contain less than 100 words that out rank “squillions” of 10,000 word pages.

    The important SEO issues are the search query and the competition for it.

    You don’t need a “long-form” story in this example of an electician’s website. What is needed is lots of SHORT-FORM pages that target people searching for an electician’s services in all the different Gold Coast suburbs and towns.

    If implemented effectively, MEC should attract many, many more relevant SE referrals with 10 x 200 word pages of relevant content than one 2,000 word long-form page that mentions a bunch of suburbs/towns.

    It is the scores of different location word searches that is the SEO challenge here. There is very little competition for them so you will not need a long story to rank well for them.

    Site Owners Beware: I see a lot of manipulated/mangled content pages trying to provide simple SEO solutions to this problem. Google can often identity them and relegate them to its supplementary index.
    Regs,
    JohnW

    Hi John,

    I don’t disagree with you. But I do have a different POV. In short, I feel a standard page is the best way to claim you are an expert and due to it’s different format, a blog is the best way to demonstrate your expertise.

    Both are well regarded by the search engines and they can work hand in hand to increase engagement and therefore business.

    I won’t go further than that because I don’t want to hijack the thread.

    #1176546
    JohnW
    Member
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    0
    ::
    MD Clean, post: 207791 wrote:
    Hi John,

    I don’t disagree with you. But I do have a different POV. In short, I feel a standard page is the best way to claim you are an expert and due to it’s different format, a blog is the best way to demonstrate your expertise.

    Both are well regarded by the search engines and they can work hand in hand to increase engagement and therefore business.

    I won’t go further than that because I don’t want to hijack the thread.
    Hi Paul,
    I would have thought our swapping opinions about attracting traffic was directly relevant to the thread…

    Let me offer some reasons why I adopt the structure I outlined above. They are:

    • Delivery of relevant info in as few clicks as possible
    • Allowing the page visitor to scan for info concepts
    • Creating bigger groups of linked search topic specific pages
    • Attaining multiple site pages in the top search ranking

    1. Delivery of relevant info in as few clicks as possible
    Speed is one of the most important requirements of a website. I’m not talking about page load speed but the speed with which site visitors can find the info they need to make a decision.

    To this end, I try to deliver it in three page clicks or less. This might be:

    a. Landing page: A Services page (Do they provide the service the visitor needs?)
    b. About Us (Does the visitor want to business with them?)
    c. Contact Us (Address, email or quote form, location map)

    If you are doing SEO right, there is no reason for visitors who land on internal pages to go to the Home page or to side track to a “blog” section.

    For tradie sites the different types of services and target customer pages should be the site’s most important generators of new potential customers.

    2. Allowing the page visitor to scan for info concepts
    It’s long been established that people read web pages differently to the printed word. They will scan a page for info concepts relevant to their needs. For an electician, their list of info needs will go something like:

    • Does the business provide a specific service?
    • Is the business qualified, experienced, certified, insured, etc.?
    • Is the business geographically acceptable?
    • Will it provide good value?
    • Who uses it? Are there work examples, testimonials? etc.

    You need a specific Service category that summarises the answers to these questions but you need to give visitors links to pages that contain detailed info, should the visitor want to explore it.

    If the detailed info and answers to these questions are only linked from a blog section, the visitor will be very unlikely to find them.

    3. Creating bigger groups of linked search topic specific pages
    When SEs assess a web page’s ranking score, part of the point score can be created by the pages that link to the result page. Therefore you want to create relevant internal page linking so that your pages can support your page’s ranking scores.

    Consider a site structure where there are a bunch of services sub-categories and sub-sub-categories that are linked from the top down:

    Services >> Commercial Electical >> Retail Shops
    Services >> Commercial Electical >> Schools
    Services >> Commercial Electical >> Offices
    Services >> Commercial Electical >> Light Industry

    I’m not talking about drop menus, they are useless from an SEO perspective, I’m talking about in-page links that branch out from the top down.

    This structure of links should dramatically improve the individual page’s ranking points for the different target search words.

    If you publish a bunch of this info in a separate blog, you can limit your site’s ability to score ranking points.

    4. Attaining multiple site pages in the top search ranking
    When there is limited competition in the SEs, I’d be trying to make sure that a site can rank pages in positions 1 to 4-5 in the search results.

    My current record is a site where Google lists its pages in positions 1 – 30 for a specific search phrase. OK, that is a very unusual example where there are less than 1,000 matches.

    There are however many, many search phrase where the inclusion of “Sydney” with scores of other search words will list its pages in postions 1-4 in Google and there are 300,000+ page matches. (There are only 200,000 page matches for “electrician burleigh heads”.)

    If you can displace 3 or 4 of your competitor’s pages from the search results, you will hurt them big time.

    The added benefit is that when people see that a site lists multiple pages in the search results, they assume the site and business is more important.

    An electrician website in the Gold Coast should be able to attain 4-5 pages in the top results for many searches.

    I don’t believe you will be able to achieve this when you have many of the relevant content pages separated off in a blog.

    Just my humble opinion. :)
    Regs,
    JohnW

    #1176547
    MEC
    Member
    • Total posts: 13
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi JohnW,

    Thank you for both replies, i have printed both and i am tackling each issue one at a time.

    1.I have started with lack of content. I have added more information to each services page. (No longer a shopping list). More to be done but it’s a start.

    2.I have scaled down the list of service areas on the “Contact Us” page.

    3. I have created a web page for “Electrician Burleigh Waters” but it’s not listed on google yet.(Could this be a wix problem?).

    4. Changed Domestic to Residential and Home Automation to Automatic Gates. I think this helps with google searches? Target our audience.

    5. Changed our business listing address to now all read “Burleigh Waters” so we have a consistent address.

    I have a question as well, when you wrote:

    3. Creating bigger groups of linked search topic specific pages
    When SEs assess a web page’s ranking score, part of the point score can be created by the pages that link to the result page. Therefore you want to create relevant internal page linking so that your pages can support your page’s ranking scores.

    Consider a site structure where there are a bunch of services sub-categories and sub-sub-categories that are linked from the top down:

    Services >> Commercial Electical >> Retail Shops
    Services >> Commercial Electical >> Schools
    Services >> Commercial Electical >> Offices
    Services >> Commercial Electical >> Light Industry

    I’m not talking about drop menus, they are useless from an SEO perspective, I’m talking about in-page links that branch out from the top down.

    This structure of links should dramatically improve the individual page’s ranking points for the different target search words.

    Im using wix and I’m not sure if i can put “in-page links that branch out from the top down” wix is really basic. I have created a Electrician Burleigh Waters page it’s hidden from my main menu. I have put a link to it in our “service areas” on the front page, will this help google find it?

    IYHO should i move from wix to wordpress?

    Thanks again.

    MEC

    JohnW, post: 207815 wrote:
    Hi Paul,
    I would have thought our swapping opinions about attracting traffic was directly relevant to the thread…

    Let me offer some reasons why I adopt the structure I outlined above. They are:

    • Delivery of relevant info in as few clicks as possible
    • Allowing the page visitor to scan for info concepts
    • Creating bigger groups of linked search topic specific pages
    • Attaining multiple site pages in the top search ranking

    1. Delivery of relevant info in as few clicks as possible
    Speed is one of the most important requirements of a website. I’m not talking about page load speed but the speed with which site visitors can find the info they need to make a decision.

    To this end, I try to deliver it in three page clicks or less. This might be:

    a. Landing page: A Services page (Do they provide the service the visitor needs?)
    b. About Us (Does the visitor want to business with them?)
    c. Contact Us (Address, email or quote form, location map)

    If you are doing SEO right, there is no reason for visitors who land on internal pages to go to the Home page or to side track to a “blog” section.

    For tradie sites the different types of services and target customer pages should be the site’s most important generators of new potential customers.

    2. Allowing the page visitor to scan for info concepts
    It’s long been established that people read web pages differently to the printed word. They will scan a page for info concepts relevant to their needs. For an electician, their list of info needs will go something like:

    • Does the business provide a specific service?
    • Is the business qualified, experienced, certified, insured, etc.?
    • Is the business geographically acceptable?
    • Will it provide good value?
    • Who uses it? Are there work examples, testimonials? etc.

    You need a specific Service category that summarises the answers to these questions but you need to give visitors links to pages that contain detailed info, should the visitor want to explore it.

    If the detailed info and answers to these questions are only linked from a blog section, the visitor will be very unlikely to find them.

    3. Creating bigger groups of linked search topic specific pages
    When SEs assess a web page’s ranking score, part of the point score can be created by the pages that link to the result page. Therefore you want to create relevant internal page linking so that your pages can support your page’s ranking scores.

    Consider a site structure where there are a bunch of services sub-categories and sub-sub-categories that are linked from the top down:

    Services >> Commercial Electical >> Retail Shops
    Services >> Commercial Electical >> Schools
    Services >> Commercial Electical >> Offices
    Services >> Commercial Electical >> Light Industry

    I’m not talking about drop menus, they are useless from an SEO perspective, I’m talking about in-page links that branch out from the top down.

    This structure of links should dramatically improve the individual page’s ranking points for the different target search words.

    If you publish a bunch of this info in a separate blog, you can limit your site’s ability to score ranking points.

    4. Attaining multiple site pages in the top search ranking
    When there is limited competition in the SEs, I’d be trying to make sure that a site can rank pages in positions 1 to 4-5 in the search results.

    My current record is a site where Google lists its pages in positions 1 – 30 for a specific search phrase. OK, that is a very unusual example where there are less than 1,000 matches.

    There are however many, many search phrase where the inclusion of “Sydney” with scores of other search words will list its pages in postions 1-4 in Google and there are 300,000+ page matches. (There are only 200,000 page matches for “electrician burleigh heads”.)

    If you can displace 3 or 4 of your competitor’s pages from the search results, you will hurt them big time.

    The added benefit is that when people see that a site lists multiple pages in the search results, they assume the site and business is more important.

    An electrician website in the Gold Coast should be able to attain 4-5 pages in the top results for many searches.

    I don’t believe you will be able to achieve this when you have many of the relevant content pages separated off in a blog.

    Just my humble opinion. :)
    Regs,
    JohnW

    #1176548
    JohnW
    Member
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    0
    ::
    MEC, post: 208226 wrote:
    Hi JohnW,
    Im using wix and I’m not sure if i can put “in-page links that branch out from the top down” wix is really basic. I have created a Electrician Burleigh Waters page it’s hidden from my main menu. I have put a link to it in our “service areas” on the front page, will this help google find it?

    IYHO should i move from wix to wordpress?

    Thanks again.
    MEC
    Hi Paul,
    I’m not very familiar with Wix but I do read a lot of posts from people who believe its SEO capabilities are very limited.

    “I’m using wix and I’m not sure if i can put “in-page links”

    If this is correct, Wix has a HUGE inbuilt SEO limitation.

    As it happens, I do see a lot of Word Press sites where their SEO implementation is equally limited.

    Most of the SEO capability with Word Press is in the hands of the system installer and the requirements you specify to them.

    I am not talking about any SEO plug-in here. You don’t address any design or structural issues of SEO importance with an SEO plug-in.

    “I have created a Electrician Burleigh Waters page it’s hidden from my main menu. I have put a link to it in our “service areas” on the front page, will this help google find it?”

    Unless there is a barrier, this should be OK.
    Regs,
    JohnW

    #1176549
    John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up
    0
    ::
    JohnW, post: 208246 wrote:
    Most of the SEO capability with Word Press is in the hands of the system installer and the requirements you specify to them.

    I am not talking about any SEO plug-in here. You don’t address any design or structural issues of SEO importance with an SEO plug-in.

    John, WordPress is well regarded by many professionals in the SEO space including myself. It’s super powerful and works, very well.

    Personally, I wouldn’t touch WIX with a ten foot pole.

    #1176550
    MatthewKeath
    Member
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    0
    ::
    MEC, post: 208226 wrote:
    Hi JohnW,

    I’m not talking about drop menus, they are useless from an SEO perspective, I’m talking about in-page links that branch out from the top down.John, I don’t follow. Can you explain this more? I don’t know what in ‘page links that branch out from the top down’ are.

    Also, can you provide some further reading about dropdown being detrimental to SEO?

    MEC, post: 208226 wrote:
    IYHO should i move from wix to wordpress?Eventually it would be a good idea. More flexible and much better out of the box than Wix for SEO (or for anything else really) . You have to look after it more than Wix though.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.