Home – New Forums Other discussions Website upgrade or not?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    gilopy
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

Hi all, just wanted to put this one out there to see what the general feeling is. One of our websites are well and truly overdue for a facelift. Is it worth spending the money on an upgrade or has social media taken over the need for a website? ie: are we better off investing in a fab facebook page and spreading the word that way? Our business is team building for corporate events. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks! Gillian

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

Never ever ever EVER put your business in the hands of another Company. Facebook has repeatedly shown they are willing to change the rules whenever and however it suits them.

Your website is an ever important aspect of your sales funnel. Social media is a way of trafficking people into the funnel.

If you want to have a chat about it, email me on [email protected]

Cheers,
    Chris

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

You definitely need your own website. That way you can control your identity and as Chris points out, not be subject to the rules of other company.

A facebook page is still a good idea to promote your business and to drive traffic back to you own website.

regards

Hugh Thyer
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

The obvious question is…

…is your current website still making you any money?
    marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up

I agree on the need for a website.

Facebook etc are great, but most people won’t call a business directly off there. What they will do is drive traffic to your website – so you need to impress them there as well.

Let me know if you would like a quote on your design work and/or SEO work – My personal philosophy is that a website needs to be built to be SEO and customer friendly from the ground up (besides being attractive of course), rather than as an add on later – as this is the most likely to achieve the results you want.

Matt

CarolP
    • Total posts: 77
    Up

Your website is your real estate – you own it and you control it. Its the difference between owning and buying. When you own, you can do whatever you like however when you rent, your landlord could boot you out and there are more rules to follow. The point is, you don’t control social media.

Social media is great for driving traffic and building relationships.

Key question to ask:

• Is your current website making you money / generating leads
    • Can it be reviewed to see where it can be improved

Cheers
    Carol

kbrookes
    • Total posts: 265
    Up

If you can define what’s wrong with your current site, then you can define the goals you’d like to set for a new site.

If you’re unable to set those goals, then there’s almost certainly no point in rebuilding.

With a clear plan and those goals in mind, you’re then able to measure the impact of the new site, particularly if you define those goals in terms measurable via Google Analytics.

And as an earlier poster said, definitely design it from the ground up for SEO.

2983#deleted
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

I think you are getting good conversions from Facebook, which is because FB fits the young demographic and their way of sharing news about a forthcoming wedding.

But as others have said, you will always need a good website. You are using a templated site where the heading of a page becomes the word on the tab and on the title tag.

I don’t know your industry so I don’t know if the target audience knows about hens’ treasure hunts, but they do know about hens nights. This is why you need a site that is easy to SEO. Some of these subscription deals have rigid CMSs that can’t be modified to suit just one customer.

PedroO
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

Hi Gillian,

Here’s 3 suggestions for you to consider:

Build a new landing page instead
    Building a website from the ground up could be expensive and time consuming. If you are uncertain what’s exactly not working with the site why not just build 1 landing page with a couple of new things/approaches and test those before. Here’s a good example provided by Seth Godin: http://www.traineo.com/

Run a poll/survey
    Before making a decision get some numbers. Linkedin or PollDaddy can help you with that. I’m currently using Linkedin to poll (see example: http://polls.linkedin.com/p/99335/ptzkm). Ask the question in narrow terms, i.e. instead of “whats wrong with this site?” ask something like “this site needs most improving: a) look and feel b) easier language to understand c)…
    Make the decision afterwards with some more data. Also, take Kelsey’s advice on establishing goals.

Testimonials instead of a new website
    Would more testimonials from clients do a better job at signing new people up to your service than a new website?

All the best
    Pedro O.
    CommissionSales.com.au
    Can’t afford to hire staff ?
    Would a sales rep on commission only help ?
    http://www.commissionsales.com.au

mark_xpnsit
    • Total posts: 140
    Up

I would agree with the majority of anwers here, enhance your own website – but do it from the eyes of your customers not yourself. All to often people go about building a ‘nice’ website.

One that looks nice but doesnt meet the needs of your customers.

Once you have a good quality website you can drive traffic through social media and other sources.

braddown
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

I have spent the better part of 15 years as a website designer and I have come back to one fundamental truth, pretty visual design has very little to do with website success. It is what you do with the people that go there that matters. If your website is converting visitors into customers then the old adage “If it ain’t broke” works here.

If you want to invest money, invest with a digital strategist to work on usability, conversion strategies and analytics. It is these things that matter at the end of the day if you are running an online business.

Users will convert into customers via a fast, easy to use ugly site over a beautiful, slow Flash site any day. Its a sad fact, especially for those of us who love beautiful design.

sydneyfx
    • Total posts: 61
    Up
    gilopy, post: 40119 wrote:
    Hi all, just wanted to put this one out there to see what the general feeling is. One of our websites are well and truly overdue for a facelift. Is it worth spending the money on an upgrade or has social media taken over the need for a website? ie: are we better off investing in a fab facebook page and spreading the word that way? Our business is team building for corporate events. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks! Gillian

If your going to invest money into a site, then you should invest it on something you have control of like your own website on your own domain name. Your site is you, your business and your brand. Keep control of it by owning everything about it yourself.

Social media is a way to find people interested in what you have to offer them. Keep your own site, upgrade it if you feel it’s necessary and use social media like Facebook, Twitter etc as ways to reach out to your potential customers.

Social media comes and goes so use it to your advantage but not your web presence.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.