Home – New Forums Starting your journey Website V Newspaper

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Barton78
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hey Everyone,

Firstly, this is by far the best and most useful forum I have ever come across! I have spent hours reading forum after forum and now I am going to post my first thread!

The title is fairly self explanatory.

Basically where is there more money to be had through advertising – a website or a free newspaper. I have read a thread from a young chap thinking of starting up a free community newspaper. There seems to be a lot of work involved and each month you have to pay the printing fees.

The website would have an estimated audience of around 2500 – 3000.

Barton.

BrightBiz
    • Total posts: 69
    Up

Hi Barton,

From your post, i am guessing you are looking to start up either a website or newspaper?

There are pros and cons to each, although one of the main differences is the start up cost and effort involved in the initial stages of a website vs print paper.

Print is often considered a declining industry although it does depend on your niche.

Now, while starting and developing a website and getting traffic might sound easy, it actually takes a lot of effort and dedication.

Either way, convincing people to pay you for advertising is somewhat difficult without proof of traffic or distribution and readership, and that takes time.

If you could give us some idea of the niche you are going to be working within we could possibly give you some further insight or ideas :)

LeelaCosgrove
    • Total posts: 634
    Up

It totally depends on :

1. your target market; and
    2. the target market of the publication you’re looking to advertise in.

IF you can find a niche publication that appeals directly to your niche – awesome! You may just be one of the small businesses for whom advertising is NOT a complete waste of time …

The great thing about the internet is the opportunity to niche in a way that broad spectrum media just can’t give you … if you can find a traditional media outlet that gives you that kind of exposure – outstanding!

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi Barton,

Thanks for joining and your kind comments! They’re always welcome :)

I agree with the other guys that ‘it depends’ is probably the only answer at this stage. I don’t think there’s necessarily more money in either, it just comes down to building a big enough, and focused, audience.

Big picture, general newspapers are facing a massive battle, but niche may well be different.

Print or web, consistently generating high quality content is going to be the key and challenge.

Cheers,
    Peter

Adam Randall
    • Total posts: 382
    Up

One thing in a web sites favour is that if you lose enthusiasm after a few months of hard work, then its OK because it continues to market for you.

With a newspaper, its a bit like a newsletter, unless you do it regularly, people will quickly forget and if you go through a few months of busy times and forget about the newspaper, you have to start all over again.

My site runs in spurts of energy, I do a heap of work and then leave it for 6 months and it just gets bigger and bigger. I now have over 500 pages online, probably be about 10,000 in a few years time.

Chrissie
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

Hi Barton,

I was actually speaking to a lady yesterday who advertises in the magazine that I write for, and she was saying that she’s really avoided advertising with online publications up until now because she didn’t trust them as much.

That said, a lot of publications are moving online now, and the advertising base for online pubs is going to increase.

Another thing to remember is that editorial for online v print is very different – online tends to be much more concise, because it’s harder to read a lot of text on the screen as opposed to on paper, and it tends to be more news-worthy, up-to-the-minute writing, rather than more long-term, detailed analysis.

Depending on what kind of publication it is, I would suggest starting online, and perhaps once you build up a loyal base, look at starting a print sister-publication that could go out once a quarter or something with more information, quality contributors, analysis and detailed features, to offer readers (and advertisers) something different.

But I definitely agree with other people on here who’ve said that print publications are moving towards more niche target audiences, while general news is going online.

exstatic
    • Total posts: 335
    Up

Why not do both!? You could easily set up some procedures that allow you to submit the same articles to both an online medium and a print medium?

There are so many easy to use content management systems for websites these days all you would need to do is cut/paste your magazine content into the CMS and it would be online, then send the same content to your desktop publishing package and then send to the printers.. that way you have both bases covered.

It may take a little bit of setting up to get it flowing well, but in the long run you have both markets covered!

gyelas
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

I agree with a few of other posts it actually depends on your target market and who you are going to attract BUT!!

One thing i love with online marketing is that you can do market testing VERY VERY quickly and apply it to offline marketing. If it works online its more than likely going to work offline in terms of titles, description lines etc..

So i love marketing online first as i can test all my marketing e.g. the Ad title description using google or yahoo Pay per click) then i can split test landing pages to see which appeals to my audience the most. I can also track conversions to see how many visit my site turn into a lead for my business or a paying customer.

You can then apply the same concept to offline. The challenge with offline is that it can take you a long time to track. Whereby online within hours if not days you can get a good guage of your market! Also you ONLY pay with PPC marketing when people click on your website.

Hope this helps :-)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.