Home – New Forums Find the help you need ‘Website vs Blog’ expert required.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Jexley
    • Total posts: 382
    Up
    ::
    Carl, post: 3166 wrote:
    The thing is, I did pay a decent fee to NetRegistry for SEO, which I’m told is there, although invisible (behind the flash). When I prepare to work on a Brand Identity or a Business Presentation, I always start with understanding the client’s target audience. Should it not be the same with Online Experts? “Tell me about your potential clients”, rather than “look how good I am”. Just a thought. Thanks to all for a great forum! Carl.

Yeah mate, exactly. Forgive my PM if it was light on specifics, but the way I approach it is to figure out exactly what you’re doing with your website now, what you’ve done with it before, and what you want it to do with it. I try not to use acronyms or “wow” you with anything other than my recommendations on what you should be doing to be achieving more success with your website.

Regardless, good luck with that.

Astrid
    • Total posts: 459
    Up

Hi Carl – I like your work, especially the carltoons ;-)

@ Adam – I understand where you come from when you say:

Id prefer a pig ugly site with 100 visitors a day than something that belongs in an art gallery that gets 2.

But what if users find you and turn away because your site is pig ugly and not inviting? Never underestimate the visual effect of things. Even with visitors without a design education.

Or if the site doesn’t work because they are using an iPhone (I’ve heard that iphone doesn’t support flash, correct me if I’m wrong).
    And who would recommend or try a designer with an ugly looking website? I always look at hairdresser’s haircuts as well ;-)

Doesn’t mean that the SEO shouldn’t be up to date if that’s what you want and need.

Cheers
    Astrid

No mans land
    • Total posts: 34
    Up

This below my friend needs to be clearly demonstrated on your site.
    Not in flash either. Navigation is a bit wishy washy.

You impressed me but I really couldnt grasp “exactly” what you do.
    You have the Ying but maybe too much Yang?
    Too much circle not enough square, not the picture but more words

Adam Randall
    • Total posts: 382
    Up
    Astrid, post: 3170 wrote:
    Hi Carl – I like your work, especially the carltoons ;-)

@ Adam – I understand where you come from when you say:

Id prefer a pig ugly site with 100 visitors a day than something that belongs in an art gallery that gets 2.

But what if users find you and turn away because your site is pig ugly and not inviting? Never underestimate the visual effect of things. Even with visitors without a design education.

Hi Astrid
    Yes I agree with what you are saying, there does need to be a minimum level of aesthetic and navigational competence involved in the creation of a web site.

In saying that though, thats not very hard to achieve. The web site on this thread is at the extreme end of aesthetic pleasure and good looks and it has reason to be, as its a showcase of the OPs profession.

My guess is it was quite an expensive site to create either in time or money or both.

Most of us dont need to demonstrate a high degree of creativity, in actual fact it could be argued that business thrives when creativity is curtailed (systems and procedures I think are the opposite to creativity)

So in saying that, I will correct my original post and say, I would rather a site that is as plain as an Arrowroot biscuit and can be found by 200 people than a Monte Carlo that is only found by 2.

(note; in real life I prefer the Monte Carlo)

When I think of all the sites I go to that are on both my favourites and on my links tab, not a single one would win any design awards (take a look at Google the most successful web site in history) Its the information they contain that puts them at the top of my list.

No mans land
    Up

there does need to be a minimum level of aesthetic and navigational competence involved in the creation of a web site.

Where the hell am I?

The IT term is called a “Bread crumb”. The Tom Tom GPS of the internet.

KISS me

The issue is that we we forget how much we really know. We lose touch with what other people don’t know.

Astrid
    • Total posts: 459
    Up

Hi Adam

I shouldn’t read about biscuits before dinner – had to stop and ransack the pantry.

I too agree with what you are saying. Barrier free websites and easy access to information is essential. And much more important than visual overkill.

What is creativity anyway? I don’t think it’s only nice pics and colours and fancy typography. It’s more a simple and unexpected solution to a communication problem. Systems and procedures can – in my opinion – also contain certain creative elements.

Some websites need to be more “award winning looking”, some just need to be plain informativ. Especially in the top design and architecture business clients expect to see something beyond the normal stuff.

But I think we’re getting too much off-topic here ;-)

Cheers
    Astrid

tier1onlinestrategies
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

I think it’s simply a matter of your time — is it better spent in your actual business or in doing web design/SEO tasks?

The fact is anyone can do the work required to get a website ranked highly in Google, but very few people are actually willing to do it, hence the SEO industry. I’m personally not a website designer, I don’t know how to do flash, but what I can do is put together SEO friendly websites and do the SEO work — which takes weeks to complete and around 2-3 months to see any results.

A person who wants to do the work themselves is fine with me, but what may be lacking is the actual recipe or blueprint of what to do.

“…how to go about hiring a web design company.”

I would add in the following:

Results — what have they done before?

Location — are they even in the same city you are?

Experience — have they spent any time in studying/working in the US, learning about the latest techniques that are years ahead of what’s known in Australia?

I’ve earned my stripes going head to head with people in the US and in competitive keywords, which is why such simple phrases as “graphic design sydney” are so easy to dominate.

No mans land
    Up

The fact is anyone can do the work required to get a website ranked highly in Google, but very few people are actually willing to do it, hence the SEO industry.

Business become obsessed with search engines. Payment is the only way your going to truly make it. Sure, you need an element of meta data criteria to get you up the list but so is everyone else.

What you drive past 40000 cars a day and you don’t have your domain on your cars? What was that number, 93something vs www.product.com.au

How many times have you checked out a domain on an email which has tagged along with a friends email. [email protected]

Flank the search engine with marketing. For many businesses search engines are a bonus not the sole source of client aggregation.

There must be more than a dozen means to aggregate clients with very good cost benefit utilising your domain.

Kath2
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Hi Carl,

I would like to discuss this further over the phone or via email so send me a reply back….I had a quick look at your website —

Great for impact…..My background is in print advertising……The same though applies to websites… The first thing I noticed about your website was impact……Great impact……….

In regards to Sales though – Customers are after “WHATS in it for ME?” – Why should i buy from you………What makes your company special from the other cartoon companies. Whats your “WOW” factor

Have a look at the general advertisements in your local paper? Many have impact in their advertisements but don’t bring in results.

Hope this helps abit

Cheers
    kath

websitepro
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

Hey, we have quite a lot of experience with SEO you can try contacting us via our website (in my signature) and we can try sort it out for you

linkartist
    • Total posts: 89
    Up

Flash CAN be Search Engine Friendly, but it needs to be done by a skilled developer and have adequate budget to do so.

That said, there are ways to have Flash talk to WordPress to get the best of both worlds — I have done it before and the results are nifty!

The line between blog and website is now so narrow, with things like WordPress dominating the market, you can have both a CMS and a blog powered by the same backend… and it makes life just SO much easier. I do it for my site and a stack of other clients too… and I am doing less and less static web pages these days.

ahortin
    • Total posts: 42
    Up
    linkartist, post: 4054 wrote:
    Flash CAN be Search Engine Friendly, but it needs to be done by a skilled developer and have adequate budget to do so.

That said, there are ways to have Flash talk to WordPress to get the best of both worlds — I have done it before and the results are nifty!

The line between blog and website is now so narrow, with things like WordPress dominating the market, you can have both a CMS and a blog powered by the same backend… and it makes life just SO much easier. I do it for my site and a stack of other clients too… and I am doing less and less static web pages these days.

As Téa mentioned. There’s no reason why your blog software can’t operate your website as well. WordPress is so much more than a simple blogging tool now. It can be used as a CMS for a complete website.

Alternatively, if someone already has website, it’s also possible to incorporate WordPress into it, just for the blog side of things. I’ve recently done this for my own site.

Cheers,
    Anthony.

Japh
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

Hi Carl,

Great looking website and animations you’ve got there! There are several things I can think of that will help you, and aren’t hugely expensive, nor do they trash very much of work you’ve already had done.

Firstly, your site is currently almost completely Flash… this is not really the best way to get discovered online (by search engines etc), it’s also not necessary for your site. After having a bit of a look around, I can see that there are places where Flash is appropriate, but it needn’t be the whole site.

Secondly, I think adding a blog (possibly with WordPress) would certainly be of benefit. Keep in mind though, blogs need to be updated regularly to be productive.

I’m more than willing to give you some more specific pointers if you like, feel free to PM me if you’re interested. I’m also more than capable of doing the work for you, or just being available to answer questions if you decide to do it yourself :)

Best of luck!

On a side note:

tier1onlinestrategies, post: 3312 wrote:
    “…how to go about hiring a web design company.”

I would add in the following:

Results — what have they done before?

Location — are they even in the same city you are?

Experience — have they spent any time in studying/working in the US, learning about the latest techniques that are years ahead of what’s known in Australia?

I really took exception to the second two points here. Location is almost completely irrelevant in the web industry! Most of my clients are not even in Australia… Also, time spent studying/working in the US? Might sound impressive I suppose, but again not really anything to do with anything. You may have noticed that the internet is available in almost every single country, and information flows fairly freely across borders :)

linkartist
    • Total posts: 89
    Up

Me too Japh. The term “web design perth” is one of the most competitive search terms IIRC — Judd, this is true right? I remember being told to not bother with it :)

60-70% of my clients are based in Los Angeles and New York – 2 of the most saturated markets for web designers… and yet I manage to woo entertainment companies because I am highly regarded in those circles & always deliver. And little ol’ me in Perth is quite sought after despite never having been to the USA. Who woulda thought?

Your work, your service, and your attitude transcend EVERY other aspect of business… the other stuff is excuses.

Renee Barber
    • Total posts: 360
    Up
    linkartist, post: 4948 wrote:
    60-70% of my clients are based in Los Angeles and New York – 2 of the most saturated markets for web designers… and yet I manage to woo entertainment companies because I am highly regarded in those circles & always deliver. And little ol’ me in Perth is quite sought after despite never having been to the USA. Who woulda thought?

Téa, colour me impressed!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.