Home – New Forums Selling online Website vs. eBay

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    relovedcouture
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone

Lovely to connect!

I’ve developed a good eBay account on eBay selling recycled fashion since August 2012. Prices are quite low but I do make sales.

Now having completed the NEIS program I’m starting my new eco fashion business Re Loved Couture. And my new website http://www.relovedcouture.com.au is launching tomorrow – exciting!

My online store will carry products on consignment mainly while I was reselling my own pieces on eBay. I think it’ll take a bit of time for my website to attract a lot of traffic like eBay, although I’ve been on FB, Twitter, Instagram, etc.

Can anyone in a similar situation advise me how to tackle the issue as to what products to put on my website and what to put on eBay? Or should I post the same products and see what sell first? Having said that I do know my customers a bit on eBay (interstate, regional, fuller sizes).

I want to be able to manage this transition period successfuly so my eBay customers can be converted to my online store customers. I hope it makes sense.

Cheers, Lin

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    relovedcouture, post: 158068 wrote:
    Hi everyone

Lovely to connect!

I’ve developed a good eBay account on eBay selling recycled fashion since August 2012. Prices are quite low but I do make sales.

Now having completed the NEIS program I’m starting my new eco fashion business Re Loved Couture. And my new website http://www.relovedcouture.com.au is launching tomorrow – exciting!

My online store will carry products on consignment mainly while I was reselling my own pieces on eBay. I think it’ll take a bit of time for my website to attract a lot of traffic like eBay, although I’ve been on FB, Twitter, Instagram, etc.

Can anyone in a similar situation advise me how to tackle the issue as to what products to put on my website and what to put on eBay? Or should I post the same products and see what sell first? Having said that I do know my customers a bit on eBay (interstate, regional, fuller sizes).

I want to be able to manage this transition period successfuly so my eBay customers can be converted to my online store customers. I hope it makes sense.

Cheers, Lin

Congratulations and very exciting for you.

My recommendation is to have all your products both on your store and on eBay. If your online store allows you to connect to eBay to manage stock and orders then you should do that. But if not then you will have to try to manage that manually.

You need to convert you recurring customers to your online store. So if you have contact details for your past customers then start by letting them know that you have a new online store.

Use eBay as a marketing engine to drive new business but use your online store to develop a relationship with your customers.

Good luck

John

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Lin,

Welcome to Flying Solo, and congratulations on your business progress so far.

I hope John’s advice is helpful to you (thanks John! :)), and that you also pick up plenty of other tips here to help you run your new store.

All the best,
    Jayne

DKChoices
    • Total posts: 101
    Up

Hi Lin,

From our customer’s prior experience, I would recommend that you list your items on both eBay and your website. eBay can help to start up and drive regular customers through to your website.

Starting a website from scratch takes a lot of time and effort. The time factor is probably one that is difficult to overcome – you can do as much search engine optimisation as you like, but it always takes a few months to settle and for Google to rerank you appropriately.

All the best, good luck!

James
    Participant
    • Total posts: 268
    Up

Hi Lin,

What eCommerce software are you using to power your website?

There are some services out there that allow you to integrate eBay listings to your website automatically, which is perfect for starting out.

Basically you just need to create your eBay account and install an add-on or plugin for your website. Then every time you list a new product on eBay a link will be added to your website.

Your website will start to build its own identity (and search ranking) but all the while you are generating sales through eBay. Products on the website will just link off to the eBay sale – no need to worry about inventory management or duplicate sales.

As a tip, if you are going to sell on eBay also make sure you have an outstanding branded HTML template. Ensure it links strongly with the look and feel of your website. That way you are building your brand as you go, and you add an element of trust that most eBay buyers will respond to – if you can instill trust in your buyers on eBay, the sale is half done. Most people pay a premium just to feel safe.

NEIS Team
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

The site is looking good Lin. Maybe make a bigger link to the Shop page on your home page? And a bit more prominence for your social media links? YouTube clips could help bring “colour and movement” to the page and the product, plus give you something to post in your social media and to a blog.

You might also like to post your question and invites to your upcoming events on our NEIS Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NEIScommunity as many NEIS people like to support other NEISies.
    Cheers.

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

Sorry, but I don’t think you should put all your stock on Ebay as well as your online store. It is against Ebay terms to have an item on there also actively selling elsewhere. What would you do if someone bids on Ebay and you have just sold it from your store? That is negs waiting to happen.

You need to do some trail selling on both your outlets to see what sells best at each one then have a system where you decide on two types of stock and keep them separate.

Edit – I just saw James post, he has some good advice

reachdigital
    • Total posts: 20
    Up
    John Debrincat, post: 158071 wrote:
    Congratulations and very exciting for you.

You need to convert you recurring customers to your online store. So if you have contact details for your past customers then start by letting them know that you have a new online store.

Use eBay as a marketing engine to drive new business but use your online store to develop a relationship with your customers.

John

Hi John,

This is great ! We have a few customers who do the same. Successful Ebay stores but fees have become too high. They now turning ebay customers to their own as you explain above.

Mauricio

reachdigital.com.au
    blog.reachdigital.com.au

relovedcouture
    Up

Just an update for all of you who have kindly replied to my original question.

After struggling with my business for a year, my NEIS contract is finally finished. I’ve survived :)

My first website turned out to be very hard to maintain, for some reason, as it was Open Cart. Or was it just me? I was really baffled by the Image Manager thing! So for the last six months a new web developed has made a second website for me using Joomla and Hikashop. Phew! It’s been an uphill battle too. But I think it’s definitely better than the one before. Let me know what you think please: http://www.relovedcouture.com.au. However, I still have to fix a few things about account, register or guest checkout…oh and also magnifying photos. I need an extension installed. All so confusing for me :)

I’m still making all the sales from my eBay store. Of course it was because my website was offline for 6 months. But the eBay store has proven quite expensive to run because I don’t usually have multiple items (I sell recycled and one-off fashion).

What’s the best way of promoting my online shop? I’ve read so much about online marketing that I’m getting more confused every day. And not having a big budget doesn’t help either. Some Google marketing company keeps calling me offering their service for $500 a month. Others recommend online directories. Some say SEO is better than Google ads…

The thing is, without traffic, it’s difficult to convince suppliers to sell their designer goods on consignment. Without quality designer goods, it’s difficult to get traffic. It’s tricky isn’t it.

Any opinions/advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Lin

NEIS Team
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

Hi Lin

Great to see you have made it through your first year of trading.

Your new website looks positively gorgeous. Funky yet functional and intuitive. The homepage logo is overlapping a menu item a little.

This keyboard operator has personal experience with Joomla, and knows it can be difficult to wrap your head around. But the positive is that you can do edits yourself, without having to pay for every little change and edit. Just be careful that it is all being backed up regularly and that you have copies of that in case the relationship with your designer ever sours. The site did seem a bit slow to load. Talk to your site designer about whether the host is the source of that. It could also be security protocols here though…

Good to see you are covering the key social media platforms, and not neglecting Google+. But the banner pictures on G+ and FB don’t seem to be doing much to explain or sell your business. They need to mesh in with the style of the website, including that great logo. And you need to work on building your support base on them. Shouldn’t you have more followers on FB at least after a year?

Start yourself a blog. Put a lot (but not all) of the content you’ve been putting on social media in the blog. Then link to the blog articles from social media. This way your content has a much longer ‘shelf life’ than it ever would in a Facebook feed.

A year ago we recommended you join the NEIS Facebook Community Group (link below). That recommendation still stands – we think you’d find some potential customers among the 300+ members there – NEISies supporting NEISies.

Think about whether you could harness the Google+/Youtube Live To Air tool to build support by showing people how to improve their wardrobe, use products. People pay a lot of money to style consultants – because they aren’t confident that they have the style sense that you obviously have. Share some of that, and build rapport/support. Then ask people to share their “find” with their friends.

A final thought: one of the biggest blocks for people buying clothing online is not knowing whether it will fit or look okay on. People are risk-averse – especially when it comes to wardrobe. How are you negating that resistance? How are you making that sale a zero-risk proposition for the buyer?

Just some quick ideas to consider.

Cheers
    — NEIS Team

relovedcouture
    Up

Thanks so much for your detail reply and useful suggestions. The logo will do that sometimes if the browser window is not maximised.

I’ll try and digest your valuable information soon and hopefully make some progress.

Also, I’ll look into the social media thing. As to followers, I’ve tried advertising on FB once with a small spent, and it did get me some more likes from the countries I’ve sold to. Is followers the same as likes? :) Not sure about videos. Isn’t it expensive to hire a professional photographer?

I’ve still got some issues about checkout and I also want to install zoom (an extension) to product photos. Imagine that! Talking to two web developers in Sydney. Shouldn’t be too expensive, hopefully.

Best regards, Lin

Craig_Longmuir
    • Total posts: 556
    Up

off topic, but… nice looking site :)

affgar
    • Total posts: 123
    Up

Really love your website. Very cool design.

If you were with wordpress you could use SEO plugins. Maybe you could use a dummy wordpress website with a good SEO plugin like Yoast … that will give you some great pointers. Then you can implement those things into your Joomla website.

Good seo plugins are great to run content by. You get key word density right. You structure good articles/pages using 3 or more heading tags. You use alt tags correctly for images etc …

Your website really needs work on the functional side of things.
    Here is a tool to look at for speed & functional stuff that can relate to SEO.
    http://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

Another very good thing for SEO is using all the google resources. Having a profile attached to your article. If you want to declare who you are & show your name & pic & even contact info.

It is a challenge getting good SEO with ecommerce website.

Love your business concept … we need more people recycling & using less resources or appreciating under-utilised resources/products.

Congrats on your great work so far. :)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.