Home – New Forums Tech talk Websites

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Cats
    • Total posts: 85
    Up
    ::

Hi all,
    We found a website designer on here so got them to develop a site and cart. We have had several problems with them and today the site is completely down, however, they are not able to be contacted because some time back they decided they would no longer take calls so disconnected their mobile phone. We emailed today to say we have no cart and no site = no business but the email bounced.
    We then had to contact ASIC who were most helpful but because they have no numbers listed anywhere we can’t get hold of them. Meanwhile our site is still down and it looks really bad to the rest of the world not to mention loss of sales and credibility with outlets and Distributors.
    Is there any advice you can offer? I know it’s a hard call but we can’t even get the site off these guys to host elsewhere not being able to contact them. Plus, we have paid good money for the site and cart which is their own.
    I just needed to vent really and in the meantime we are desperately trying to fix the problem.
    Thanks,
    Cat

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

Do you have access to the domain name via the registrar, or DNS provider?

If you do, as a stop gap you could get going pretty quickly via one of the ecommerce platform providers. Just use a template and reload your stock, not a perfect solution, but possibly better than a dead site … or grab some cheap shared hosting and just put up a static page, explaining to clients you have a few challenges to resolve … and you’ll be back online soon.

How you go about it would be largely determined by how big a chunk of your business relies on online transactions.

From what you’ve said, it doesn’t sound like your current site is going to turn up any time soon. If the existing Cart is a custom coded solution, it may not be that straightforward to shift it without the developer on board … sounds like a mess.

Hopefully someone else has a better solution.

James
    Participant
    • Total posts: 268
    Up

Hi Cat,

Sorry to read that. It sounds like an absolute nightmare. That said I’m sure we can find a solution for you.

If you could start by telling us your domain name and website host (if you know it) we might be able to piece together a few answers.

Although it’s probably going to be difficult to rectify your website in its original form, there are certainly some shortcuts available to get you back online.

Cats, post: 182426 wrote:
    Hi all,
    We found a website designer on here so got them to develop a site and cart. We have had several problems with them and today the site is completely down, however, they are not able to be contacted because some time back they decided they would no longer take calls so disconnected their mobile phone. We emailed today to say we have no cart and no site = no business but the email bounced.
    We then had to contact ASIC who were most helpful but because they have no numbers listed anywhere we can’t get hold of them. Meanwhile our site is still down and it looks really bad to the rest of the world not to mention loss of sales and credibility with outlets and Distributors.
    Is there any advice you can offer? I know it’s a hard call but we can’t even get the site off these guys to host elsewhere not being able to contact them. Plus, we have paid good money for the site and cart which is their own.
    I just needed to vent really and in the meantime we are desperately trying to fix the problem.
    Thanks,
    Cat
    Cats
    Up
    estim8, post: 182428 wrote:
    Do you have access to the domain name via the registrar, or DNS provider?

If you do, as a stop gap you could get going pretty quickly via one of the ecommerce platform providers. Just use a template and reload your stock, not a perfect solution, but possibly better than a dead site … or grab some cheap shared hosting and just put up a static page, explaining to clients you have a few challenges to resolve … and you’ll be back online soon.

How you go about it would be largely determined by how big a chunk of your business relies on online transactions.

From what you’ve said, it doesn’t sound like your current site is going to turn up any time soon. If the existing Cart is a custom coded solution, it may not be that straightforward to shift it without the developer on board … sounds like a mess.

Hopefully someone else has a better solution.

Thanks for the advice, I truly appreciate it! I do have access to the DNS provider but the cart is their own custom cart so that is a huge problem. I rely a great deal on business from the site and the annoying part is that I have paid for something that isn’t fit for use. Live and learn!

Thanks again,
    Cat

Cats
    Up
    James Rayers, post: 182437 wrote:
    Hi Cat,

Sorry to read that. It sounds like an absolute nightmare. That said I’m sure we can find a solution for you.

If you could start by telling us your domain name and website host (if you know it) we might be able to piece together a few answers.

Although it’s probably going to be difficult to rectify your website in its original form, there are certainly some shortcuts available to get you back online.

Hi James,

I have sent you a private message & I will endeavor to call you tomorrow.

Thank you,
    Cat

Brent@Ontrax
    • Total posts: 336
    Up

Hi Cat,

That’s a real bugger and they must have very quickly shut everything down, sorry it had to happen to you.

As Estim8 and James said, you can quite easily move to another host if you have access to the Domain name servers or DNS records but as the system is Fully written by them using their own Cart, it may be difficult, bordering on impossible, to just backup and restore it all somewhere else, but that we can’t be sure of without seeing it or looking into your deeper.

Do you have access to the cPanel options, or FTP access, for your host? Is it still working?
    Assuming your emails are working, so are they with the same host plan or different? If they are the same then it tells us that you plan is still active and the problem may not be the hosting service but something directly linked to the website.

Hope your back online very soon, and as Estim8 suggested, as you have access to your DNS records, maybe just take out a cheap (Crazy Domains) web host and redirect the site there so that at least there is something with a message advising Back Soon due to technical problems.

Hope this helps
    Brent

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    estim8, post: 182428 wrote:
    If you do, as a stop gap you could get going pretty quickly via one of the ecommerce platform providers. Just use a template and reload your stock, not a perfect solution, but possibly better than a dead site …

+1 to this, it would certainly take the pressure off you and allow you breathing space to create your ideal site. Even a simple minimalist template, an explanation that your site is undergoing renovations and a simple payment/shipping solution. (flat rate, paypal for example)

John Debrincat on this forum would be good to talk to, he runs a hosted ecommerce solution company and he seems friendly and professional enough
    http://www.ecorner.com.au/

If your site happens to be Magento (I don’t think it is however), then I’ve rescued a few sites in the past if you need any help.

John

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

Feel free to get me on Skype.

I will get you sorted.

johnny.romaine

Rule #1. ALWAYS OWN YOUR OWN PROPERTY.

Avoid weebly blogs, blogger and other rubbish like Wix. You’re building on someone elses platform and that makes no sense.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

As John said, always own your domain name at the very least.

It’s a bad situation, and I hope you get it sorted ASAP.

Cheers,

Matt

Cats
    Up
    Brent@Ontrax, post: 182456 wrote:
    Hi Cat,

That’s a real bugger and they must have very quickly shut everything down, sorry it had to happen to you.

As Estim8 and James said, you can quite easily move to another host if you have access to the Domain name servers or DNS records but as the system is Fully written by them using their own Cart, it may be difficult, bordering on impossible, to just backup and restore it all somewhere else, but that we can’t be sure of without seeing it or looking into your deeper.

Do you have access to the cPanel options, or FTP access, for your host? Is it still working?
    Assuming your emails are working, so are they with the same host plan or different? If they are the same then it tells us that you plan is still active and the problem may not be the hosting service but something directly linked to the website.

Hope your back online very soon, and as Estim8 suggested, as you have access to your DNS records, maybe just take out a cheap (Crazy Domains) web host and redirect the site there so that at least there is something with a message advising Back Soon due to technical problems.

Hope this helps
    Brent

Hi Brent,

That is most helpful and I really appreciate the assistance you guys have given. All the sites that these guys have done were offline. (Back on at the moment, but how long for I don’t know so I’m going to move it all). None of the others had a contact number for this person either. If you are offering a service you need to be contactable. Mind you, I found him on Twitter so tweeted him and no response! Rude much?
    I will be contacting a couple of you to see what can be done.

Thanks again,
    Cat

Cats
    Up
    John Romaine, post: 182484 wrote:
    Feel free to get me on Skype.

I will get you sorted.

johnny.romaine

Rule #1. ALWAYS OWN YOUR OWN PROPERTY.

Avoid weebly blogs, blogger and other rubbish like Wix. You’re building on someone elses platform and that makes no sense.

Rule #1. ALWAYS OWN YOUR OWN PROPERTY. Well said!!! Being the Director I have so many things to do and oversee and you always hear people say to get someone else to take part of the load in the areas you know nothing about. Hmm, well, do I now have to learn about this area too?! I guess so :-)

Contacting a couple of you shortly, thanks, Cat.

LuchiaBloomfield
    • Total posts: 117
    Up

Wow, that’s horrible. I’m so sorry that it happened to you Cat – but I promise not all of us are like that!!

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up
    Cats, post: 182529 wrote:
    Rule #1. ALWAYS OWN YOUR OWN PROPERTY. Well said!!! Being the Director I have so many things to do and oversee and you always hear people say to get someone else to take part of the load in the areas you know nothing about. Hmm, well, do I now have to learn about this area too?! I guess so :-)

No.

I’m not suggesting that you need to become a web developer. I’m saying – you should always at least own your own platform/website.

In the OP, you said ….

Cats, post: 182529 wrote:
    I know it’s a hard call but we can’t even get the site off these guys to host elsewhere not being able to contact them. Plus, we have paid good money for the site and cart which is their own.

…which tells me a few things.

1. You obviously don’t own the website
    2. You’re probably “renting it”
    3. They have all of your usernames and passwords
    4. You have no immediate access

All of these things are disastrous for any business owner for the reasons you’ve already explained in this thread.

Here’s an article I wrote about this very issue. I see business owners all the time getting burnt, or losing control of their websites, or their web guy disappears with all their usernames and passwords and it turns into an absolute train wreck.

Listen, go here, and download my technical specifications document. ITS FREE. Its a complete password inventory reference sheet, so you can put ALL of your usernames, passwords, login urls, phone numbers, names and everything into it so that you’re organised. This will save you big time – TRUST ME!

PS. If you don’t know what your usernames and passwords are – get your web guy to fill it in for you.

I offer ecommerce website design packages here. If you’re interested, get in touch. I do things ONCE, and I do them right. There wont be any mucking around and you will be up and running in no time. (and you will have full control of everything once the site is done)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.