Home – New Forums Tech talk websites made easy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    ::
    adam_m, post: 244732, member: 66794 wrote:
    Hey John, talking about crap code … you did the templates for the
    PARLOUR X website that you gave as an example of your work on your site ?

Ah, the code validator says noooooooooo …. lol
    https://validator.w3.org/nu/?doc=http://www.parlourx.com/

XkU4Ajf.png

Adam

I’ve noticed in several of your posts “code validation” is how you tend to define a successful website.

To give it some context for the non techies…the Microsoft link you posted at the start of the thread has 230 odd errors using your criteria/link…the Mobirise link has about 30…Google has about 40 and I stopped scrolling on Flying Solo at 120, but we’re still visiting and using them.

Seeing as this thread was originally “web sites made easy” I reckon an argument about the pro’s and con’s of using the WW3 code validator is getting a little off track.

There’s no shortage of arguments about how useful the checker actually is in real time. Why not post another thread about it as a specific issue?

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

I am thinking of using your advise [USER=66794]@adam_m[/USER] and using some of the tools you have suggested to build my own, but at a little loss of how to start. Would you mind sharing some of the sites you have created, would be nice to see how an expert does it.

adam_m
    • Total posts: 114
    Up

Most of the work I have created is ‘e-learning’ specific and the content belongs to various learning institutions, so I can’t actually show it publicly.
    One company I did work for actually tried to sue me because I used it as an example of my work, even though I stated I was working for another company.

[Edit]
    ‘Sorry, I did post up an example of a recent site but had to remove it because the owner didnt want it made public yet.’

If you need any specific advice just send me an email or PM.
    Or if you like you can start a new thread and we can use it as a bit of a ‘case study’ as i walk you through the process.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

If you don’t want it made public, I’d suggest putting it on a test server because it’s running live on the URL you posted.

I’m assuming it validates, but Google Insights doesn’t like it much 34/100 on mobile, 40/100 on desktop.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    adam_m, post: 244743, member: 66794 wrote:
    [Edit]
    ‘Sorry, I did post up an example of a recent site but had to remove it because the owner didnt want it made public yet.’

If you need any specific advice just send me an email or PM.
    Or if you like you can start a new thread and we can use it as a bit of a ‘case study’ as i walk you through the process.

Yeah I took a look at it, think I may pass on your generous offer, I can understand why the owner didn’t want it public as yet.

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Another interesting thread. Do by all means use the ‘direct message’ option if you’d like to talk in greater depth to each other, particularly if it’s taking swipes at each other’s abilities.

If we end up with a thread that pulls apart code and points out the failings we all no doubt have if we dig deep enough to find them, I imagine we’ll quickly fall into territory that will become personal and unproductive.

Enjoy your Sunday all,

Robert

adam_m
    Up

Thanks Robert, im not quite sure what ‘Old Mate’ is trying to achieve if not just trolling.
    I put up a link to a site, mainly as an example of ‘clean coding’, as this is the direction the discussion had taken. A site that was basically a bare Joomla template, with some of her existing branding, waiting on the client to finish with her discussions with a marketing expert about ‘branding’. I emailed her to check if that was ok, but she asked if I remove it for now, for the very reason that it is a bare template with little substance.

Bert had asked for some help, I gladly offered to help, only to then have him pass on my offer even before it began …

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    adam_m, post: 244754, member: 66794 wrote:
    Thanks Robert, im not quite sure what ‘Old Mate’ is trying to achieve if not just trolling.

You’ve heard the idiom about the pot calling the kettle black?

Looking forward to seeing that default Joomla template site.

adam_m
    Up
    JohnTranter, post: 244761, member: 20554 wrote:
    You’ve heard the idiom about the pot calling the kettle black?

Looking forward to seeing that default Joomla template site.

Yea, not sure if we will use Joomla, I just layed it out in Joomla (a default template) because its easy, and a platform I am most familiar with for quick prototyping. It was more about giving her something to look at so she could think about branding ,content, basic information architecture etc.
    Also so she could have a look at the ‘back end’ and evaluate its ease of use.

Im tending to steer clear of Joomla now because like ‘word press’ it has too many inherent security risks.

Different clients tend to have different ways of relaying and taking in information.
    I also have a qualification in ‘the psychology of communication’ BTW

Through evaluation, I have ascertained that this client is a ‘visual’ communicator, more of a right brained thing. Or technically a visual- spatial learner.
    So the obvious thing was to lay things out in front of her.

It most certainly wasn’t an exercise in design, as I believe in getting underlying structures correct before moving onto design. Design is just a pretty wrapper.
    No good having a pretty wrapper and the ‘cookie’ tastes like S#%@

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    adam_m, post: 244772, member: 66794 wrote:
    I also have a qualification in ‘the psychology of communication’ BTW

You’re building up quite a c.v.

So you can’t give us any examples? I would look at the website on your original profile but it just seems to go to a Facebook page. (which doesn’t pass your compliance test btw)

adam_m
    Up

Yea, no personal sites at the moment, hacked a couple of times because it was Joomla … both my domains point to facebook pages
    No control on compliance there im afraid.

adam_m
    Up

These days im pretty much doing all design based work, left the headaches of building websites behind. Well building websites doesnt give me a headache so much as Ive just lost interest. Building websites really has become a bit of a no brainier. And I prefer a challenge.

But Im more than happy to offer advice and give help where needed.
    I was looking forward to helping Bert with his site, mainly from a design perspective. Perhaps if anyone else needed a hand with designing a site, I could offer my services freely [Mod Edit To Remove Overly sarcastic comments] ;)

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

I know I’m late to the party here, but this was a very entertaining read.

bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up

[USER=10757]@Stuart B[/USER] – hah! me too….

whooyeah
    • Total posts: 49
    Up

Also late to the party here.

I would say if your starting out just use something like wix.com

What a lot of people forget is that whilst someone could easily create a site. Getting hosting, getting it on a server, pointing the domain at it and then ensuring that it ranks is often way out of the knowledge realm and a massive time waster for someone who probably should be making sales calls or writing content.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.