Home – New Forums Tech talk Weird Site Problem with FF

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    JulieA
    • Total posts: 130
    Up
    ::

I’m at my wits end with this.
    One of my Flea Market Stalls keeps throwing a weird error when I use Firefox…BUT ONLY the FF on my machine. The error is:

Method Not Implemented

GET to /busybee/ not supported.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

It works perfectly on every other browser, it also works perfectly on FIREFOX on my hubby’s pc.
    I uninstalled and reinstalled FF…no change.
    I have another Stall, exactly the same setup ( i.e. it also uses Prestashop), and I have no problems with it on FF or anywhere else.

The Stall in question is http://www.simplelivingfleamarket.com/busybee/
    But I’m guessing it’ll work for anyone who checks it LOL

I am trying to think of something, anything I may have changed with my FF, but it has me stumped :-(

Any help would be very gratefully received, thanks

bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up

Hi Julie

Yep that works fine for me – I’m using FF 3.5.7
    :)

There’s an extension called FireBUG (I think) that lets you see what’s going on?
    Might be worth a shot.

Maybe also upgrade your copy of FF?

Cheers
    Brad

PS – How are things!?

JulieA
    Up
    bradzo, post: 24387 wrote:
    Hi Julie

Yep that works fine for me – I’m using FF 3.5.7

There’s an extension called FireBUG (I think) that lets you see what’s going on?
    Might be worth a shot.

Maybe also upgrade your copy of FF?

Cheers
    Brad

PS – How are things!?

Hi Brad,
    Yeah, I couldn’t live without Firebug LOL…when I use it for BusyBee this is the only thing I get:

501 Method Not Implemented

Method Not Implemented

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Nothing else.

In answer to your “How am I?”….well apart from the BusyBee thing, my pc is also being a mongrel LOL I’m hoping that “bald” comes back into fashion soon :p

All I can think of is it’s some setting in FF…but why only BusyBee? Why not all the Stalls, why not Simple Living Flea Market?? What on earth could I have inadvertently done to cause it…cos it HAS to be an IDTenT error.

KeepitSimpleIT
    • Total posts: 88
    Up

Here is an option… uninstall FF completely… reboot.

(Maybe export some settings)

Re-install latest version.

Test to see if you can still access site or not? If you can, re-install settings…

What happens now??

JulieA
    Up
    KeepitSimpleIT, post: 24394 wrote:
    Here is an option… uninstall FF completely… reboot.

(Maybe export some settings)

Re-install latest version.

Test to see if you can still access site or not? If you can, re-install settings…

What happens now??
    Nothing changed. I think it must have to do with something I did on BusyBee itself…I remember ( now), I was in BusyBee admin yesterday- checking on a settng to compare it with the latest Stall ( Prestashop is not very intuitive, though it IS quite illogical in places lol)….now, I also vaguely recall either uninstalling or installing a module on BusyBee ( to help with a config problem I was having on the other Stall)…..yes, yes, know…NOT the recommended way to do stuff, but sometimes ( for me anyway), it’s the only way to do it…and learn.
    Soooooooooooooooo, now all I have to try and figure out/remember, is WHAT I did on BusyBee yesterday….biggest probem is- I’ve slept since then :p

Edited to add: I am a DILL!!! How could it be a change on BusyBee causing the problem??? LOL….the site WORKS everywhere else BUT MY FF!
    Sorry people…it’s been a very long, trying day…that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it! :p
    Thanks KiSIT, and Brad…you’ve made me think a bit more laterally :-)

KeepitSimpleIT
    Up

LOL my advice… get off the caffeine!

Do you have an automatic change log in your site backend….. might be the place to start looking to refresh yourself.

Best of luck.

bradzo
    Up
    JulieA, post: 24389 wrote:
    Hi Brad,
    Yeah, I couldn’t live without Firebug LOL…when I use it for BusyBee this is the only thing I get:

501 Method Not Implemented

Method Not Implemented

Nothing else.

In answer to your “How am I?”….well apart from the BusyBee thing, my pc is also being a mongrel LOL I’m hoping that “bald” comes back into fashion soon :p

All I can think of is it’s some setting in FF…but why only BusyBee? Why not all the Stalls, why not Simple Living Flea Market?? What on earth could I have inadvertently done to cause it…cos it HAS to be an IDTenT error.

You mean you’re “tearing your hair out” ? Don’t.

So that looks to me like a server side problem (well, maybe) – have you checked, and double-checked that the settings for /busybee are *exactly* the same for other sites on the same server?

That’s all I can think of quickly without knowing the server infrastructure.

This has *some* info – your mileage may vary!

http://www.checkupdown.com/status/E501.html

But as @KeepitSimpleIT says – uninstall completely, reboot and reinstall may fix it, especially if hubby’s PC finds the site ok with no errors. Must be something on your PC.

Cheers
    Brad

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

GDay Julie,

The error (501) you receive is an error when your browser gets the data back from the web server. You’ve done that first step of troubleshooting, the problem IS with YOUR computer.

Re-installing Firefox doesn’t actually reset it’s preferences. Disable all of your plugins, and then follow the instructions in the link below.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Resetting%20preferences

Let us know if that works.

Cheers,
    Chris

JulieA
    Up

Well, it was touch and go for a heartstopping moment! I used Revo Uninstaller to uninstall FF. Revo removes the LOT.
    I reinstalled FF…BusyBee works perfectly :-D

I reinstalled the most important plugins- Xmarks and LastPass.
    I then spent a frantic few moments trying to remember my Xmarks login details LOL, and after getting that sorted ( it was SO good to see my 2Mb of neatly foldered Bookmarks back on the bookmarks toolbar LOL)…I logged into LasPass….and voila!

I will always wonder ( well, probably NOT always :p ) just which setting changed to cause the BusyBee problem.
    I can say, without Xmarks and LasPass….my ass would be grass!! The most important thing with those 2 is to WRITE your login details in a notebook, and NEVER lose the notebook! :-D

Thank you everyone! This has been a pretty stressful 24 hours…but I can relax a bit now….thanks guys!

p,s. Keep your eye on the “Community Review” forum…Megsy Jane Handcrafts is about to go live, and I’m keen to show off the handiwork of the 3 wonderful sisters who own the newest Stall on SLFM .

KeepitSimpleIT
    Up

Well done Julie…. gratz

bradzo
    Up

Bizarre.

@Chris
    – can you shed some light on why it was Julie’s PC that had the problem?
    I’d love to know… :)

@JulieA
    – glad to hear that your @ss isn’t grass anymore! LOL
    And passwords etc – yes a big “hear-hear” !!

KeepitSimpleIT
    Up

LOL It was always Julie’s PC.

If everyone else can view the website fine and Julie openly admits to recently making changes to that PC… power of deduction. Plus if that error on her site only shows on her PC….. it is something it was doing to get that.

LOL.. just re-read my post.. I think it is bed time for me….. I didn’t make any sense there!

Chris Bates
    Up

Hey Brad,

By using Revo, she effectively did what I suggested to her. Firefox’s preferences (think configuration file) sometimes gets a bit messed up due to using plugins and installing updates and the like.

It can cause some pretty random errors!

In Julie’s case, FF was sending a HTTP request to her website, which was returning data that FF failed to interpret. I THINK in Julie’s case, FF was failing at parsing the GET data. Which is the tail you see in the URL sometimes.

bradzo
    Up

Hi Chris

You know, I’m still not convinced. :)

A 501 error is generated by the server, so it’s the request type (GET, POST etc) being generated by FF that was in error, not what FF is receiving in reply (if I read everything correctly)

Check out this again:
    http://www.checkupdown.com/status/E501.html

Quote:
    HTTP Error 501 Not implemented

Introduction

The Web server (running the Web site) does not understand or does not support the HTTP method it finds in the HTTP data stream sent to it by the client (e.g. a Web browser or our CheckUpDown robot). The methods defined by the HTTP protocol are as follows:

OPTIONS: Find out the communication options available for a particular URL resource. Allows the client to determine the options and/or requirements associated with a resource, or the capabilities of a server, without a specific action involving transfer of data.
    GET: Retrieve the information identified by the URL resource e.g. GET a particular Web page or image. The most common method by far.
    HEAD: Identical to GET except that the server returns header information only, not the actual information identified by the URL resource. Useful to obtain metainformation about the entity implied by the request without transferring the entity-body itself. Often used to test hypertext links for validity, accessibility, and recent modification.
    POST: Submit data to the Web server such as 1) post a message to a bulletin board, newsgroup or mailing list, 2) provide input data – typically from a CGI form – to a data-handling process, 3) add a record directly to a database.
    PUT: Set (place/replace) the data for a particular URL to the new data submitted by the client. For example, upload a new Web page to a server.
    DELETE: Remove the data associated with the URL resource. For example, delete a Web page.
    TRACE: Run a remote, application-layer loop-back of the request message. Effectively a ‘ping’ which tests what data the Web server is receiving from the client.
    CONNECT: Reserved for use with tunnelling (e.g. SSL) via a proxy server. This method is defined only for HTTP version 1.1, not the earlier version 1.0.

If the method in the request HTTP data stream is not one of the above, then a 501 error will result. Or the method may be valid but not actually supported by the Web server. This typically only happens for newer methods such as CONNECT when received by older Web servers.

Anyway, its still strange that *something* could cause FF to mangle what it sends to the web server. Perhaps its the way FF collected what it needed to POST back and got it all screwed up.

I would have loved to see exactly what FF was sending to the webserver!

Anyway, problem solved so it seems!
    Thanks

Chris Bates
    Up

So you are correct, I misread!

I’d say your theory is right, it was still a fault with FF, likely in how it was sending data or the HTTP request itself.

OK – Sorry everyone! We’ll stop talking geek now :P

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.