Home – New Forums Other discussions What a week end

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up
    ::

Watching the news listening to the radio, what a weekend we have had.

Fires in Victoria and Floods in Queensland.

My heart goes out to those that have lost everything, for those that have lost loved ones, and for those that have had the arduous task of trying to bring the fires under control.

Its times like these we see how the Australian communities come together and help.

I know we are supposed to be recession but should you be able to donate something it will be appreciated.

We at ICAN ( Individual Cleaners Association ) have started to pass the hat around, to see what we can contribute. However we have members in FNQ and in Victoria so it is a double blow. Fortunately all our members are safe.

So lets pull together and support the Victorian Fire relief.

Tristan Boyd
    • Total posts: 55
    Up

Hear hear Burgo,

I think we have all been rocked by the horror and devastation of the weekend.

This article has the details about how to donate http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,27574,25024358-2862,00.html

We’ll certainly be throwing what we can into the hat.

Jexley
    • Total posts: 382
    Up

Good job on that link mate. Me and the wifeage here in WA were sitting up last night thinking on how/what to donate, so that helps us out so we can help out.

Also, anybody know if they need stuff and not necessarily cash? May seem silly at first, but sending ’em money (which we’re still doing) still means that they’ve got to go out and buy all the stuff that got burnt. If there’s a way to send clothing and blankets and a box of kid’s toys or some such, then I’d be all about it. I’m just thinking that, were it me sitting sniffling in the charred remnants of my material life, I wouldn’t exactly feel like shopping. Know what I mean?

LeelaCosgrove
    • Total posts: 634
    Up

The whole thing is quite horrific.

We’ve been unable to contact my partners daughter and her mother in Mt Beauty (although it seems they have the fires there under control, so hopefully it’s just a case of overloaded phone lines) and friends in Buxton and Marysville. Marysville has been completely wiped out … which is shocking … we were in the process of looking at houses in the area to buy …

I’m sure the donation of goods would be appreciated – try contacting one of the charities, they’ll normally do a collection of food and clothes and stuff when these things happen.

UPDATE: The Red Cross say they are NOT accepting goods because the cost to transport is too high – and they have a policy of buying from businesses in the area to stimulate the devastated economy … particularly important somewhere like Marysville which is a tourist town.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

The charities can’t accept goods but desperately need monetary donations to purchase the items needed.
    Official donations accepted at:

http://www.redcross.org.au

http://www.salvos.org.au

and for the animals

http://www.wildlifevictoria.org.au

Burgo
    Participant
    Up

This was posted on the carpet cleaners forum last night by a member who lives in Kilmore

I’m constantly surprised.

We just had an incredibly kind gesture from someone that lost their business in the fire in Clonbinane.

They ran a beef business. We know them very well, and often get meat from them.

All their cattle are gone, but the house was spared.

They have no power, so the cryovac meat they had could not be kept very long.

They sent some down to us.

I bloody felt like crying.

They donated to us! They lost their lively hood and we got through unscathed.

We’re going to make it our business to help them out, whether it be cash or anything else we know will help.

It would be the best thing if donations could be made that way, direct.

But I know in most cases it wouldn’t work.

But you can bet the hardest working people in all this devastation will be those directly affected.

It’s just the way they are, they want to help everyone, even when they don’t have a place to call home anymore, or a job to go to tomorrow.

I haven’t really had time to find out about official donation places, but I guess in every state it is bound to be a different body.

Make your own judgement on that one.

And don’t forget, it can be something as simple as canned food.

And a bravery award should go out to every emergency services worker.

The buggers don’t know when to stop.

I mentioned above ‘the house was spared’.

That’s not quite right.

It was saved up to the doorstep by the CFA.

And all around the Wandong area (and no doubt other areas), the number of houses that have scorched earth right to the perimeter of the house just leaves you amazed at the contrast of destruction and defiance.

Some houses were save by shear luck, some others were saved by determined owners not giving in, and a huge amount were due to the absolute heroic efforts of professional and volunteer fire fighters.

And on behalf of every Victorian, thank you to all the interstate and overseas crews that have come to help save the state.

The fires aren’t over yet, and unfortunately the death toll continues to rise, but it would have been far higher if we didn’t have the dedication of the emergency services.

M

If this dont stir you nothing will

LeelaCosgrove
    Up

*tear*

We discussed it last night and our commitment to rebuilding is that we’re still going to buy land in Buxton in the next six months – and help the towns of Marysville and Buxton rebuild … buy from the local businesses, help the people we know who have lost their livelihoods. Money is great, but these are tourists towns … once the money runs out what they will need is for the tourists to come back quickly … so I hope those of you based in Victoria will make the same kind of pledge – give them a little while then come and visit … it’s a beautiful part of the world … or it was … and it will be again.

We heard back from my stepdaughter, who is safe – fires came within 10 minutes of their house.

We’re still waiting to hear back from friends who run businesses in Buxton, which was apparently obliterated …

sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up

A member of the FS community today emailed me with this link for donations:

https://www.redcross.org.au/Donations/onlineDonations.asp

Those of us who are observing the tragedy unfold can allay some sense of helplessness by making a donation to assist those affected.

Thanks, Cilla, for sharing the link.

Burgo
    Participant
    Up

Thanks Leela, I been told that we have been to this area and when thing settle down we will definately go back.

Astrid
    • Total posts: 459
    Up

Yes, giving money and blood is the only thing at the moment we can do from down here.
    I’ve used the redcross website for donations yesterday and it’s an easy and uncomplicated process. They promised that all the money goes straight into the appeal.
    I got an sms today, that Coles will send all Australia-wide profits of next Friday (13.) towards the appeal as well.

LeelaCosgrove
    Up

We heard from our friends in Buxton last night – they stayed, fought the fire and saved their house … while normally I would be like … why stay and save a house? – they run a B&B from it … so it’s everything they’ve worked for their whole lives … their home AND their business …

We’ll be going up in a few weeks when things have settled a bit to help with the clean up and to spend some money in the local businesses.

Astrid
    • Total posts: 459
    Up

Hi Leela

So good to hear that your friend and your stepdaughter and her mum are fine.

I had another idea last night and would be interested in your thoughts – but I’m going to open a new thread for it so that it doesn’t become too confusing here.

Astrid

LeelaCosgrove
    Up

For those of you in Melbourne

The Lort Smith is taking care of native and domestic animals injured in the fires.

The desperately need donations of pet food and blankets (and money…)

http://www.lortsmith.com/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=449&srcid=397

Coleen
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

I have sat and read through all of the comments posted and yet all I can say is that I the horrifying memories still live on even 25 years after yet another disastrous bushfire….. Ash Wednesday.

Money is great, stuff is good, but who is it that will give these people back their sense of normality and emotional stability for at the end of the day no amount of material possession can replace someones ‘lost mind’.

After exepriencing first hand the devastating affects of Ash Wednesday, I know that it was my mindset that needed re-building, so that I could then move foward with the rest of my life, when I discovered that my sister was missing, her home was burned to the ground and there seemed to be no end in sight as we searched continuously, only to be told that it was highly likely she has perished.

In my instance it turned out that we were blessed, for many days later we were to find my sister in a crowded hall sharing the floor space with literally hundreds of others….. only thing was….I then had to face my sister, and look from the outside at what a wreck she had become within herself because of the deep seated trauma she had experienced.

I agree with Adam, that as time passes, the urge and strong desire to continue helping others at ‘no charge’ will pass. Red Cross and Salvation Army, as you are all aware have the basics of life in hand for the better part and so I would like to offer a copy of an e-book that I wrote, which I then decided to turn into an auto-responder series, entitled The Garden Of Success.

Each page is a stand alone page and the e-book has been created to work on mind-set, whilst acknowledging the terrible emotions we experience bought about through negativity. it is practical and real with no fluff built in.

I am sure Flying Solo that you have people living in numerous areas that have been affected by the fires and so, I look beyond today, just as Adam was, to the time when our small business and micro business associates have some semblace of life in place and they are once again attempting to resume their normal daily businesses.

It is then, that they will perhaps appreciate receiving a positive message into their inbox each day, that literally totals a 30 second read, so that their minds are not overwhelmed and which is summarised at the end in 2 sentences which I have entitled Your Daily Digest…..under the circumstances I can’t help but feel that this little e-book of mine, may well be very apt, to benefit and support our friends, through a strutured platform such as Flying Solo.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Coleen
    http://www.qualitywritingservices.com
    [email protected]

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.