Home – New Forums Find the help you need What about a Flying Solo Barter System?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    The Cafe Ninja
    • Total posts: 124
    Up
    ::

Hi guys,

I think it would be a great idea to create a barter system on here where we could swap our skills. e.g. If someone was in need of process re-engineering or technical writing, etc I could provide that service in return for something I need e.g. help with my blog, setting up my company website or the design of a new logo / corporate image (all things I genuinely need!). This could either be done on an hour for hour basis or a cost basis e.g. per hour cost.

What do you think?

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

in a word that explains everything……………NO

Jexley
    • Total posts: 382
    Up
    Burgo, post: 3111 wrote:
    in a word that explains everything……………NO

Burgo dude, what? Why not?!?

To this point in time, I’ve successfully bartered my web marketing skills (SEO, SEM, etc) and some web design skills to get a bunch of swords (for medieval fighting), 3 huge fish tanks and all the gear, electrician work, 2 designs of my website (one a couple years ago) and I’m negotiating driving lessons for my wife.

I LOVE bartering. I’ve got mates that know .NET and PHP inside and out, but couldn’t advertise their sites if there was a gun to their head. They build me cool little analytics tools, I give ’em some SEO and whatnot.

It’s all about knowing what you’re good at and what you’re not, and when you go to find somebody to help you out with what you’re not good at, you can pay them with your time instead of out of your wallet. Bloody beautiful in my opinion, and I’m happy to put my hand up for the Web Marketing/Consulting aspects, tit for tat.

LeelaCosgrove
    • Total posts: 634
    Up

I’m not sure Burgo is saying no to bartering, Jexley … just no to a flying solo barter system … which I would agree with.

Just the idea of a bartering “system” removes most of the point of bartering in the first place …

On top of which, who would administer it? Who would be expected to step in if people didn’t keep up their end of the bargain?

I’m ALL FOR bartering between businesses – I think it’s a great way to get stuff done – but I think that it should be a private thing, not a forum thing.

Jexley
    • Total posts: 382
    Up

Aaaaaah, mea culpa.

A “system” sounds far too complicated. I suppose that what I was thinking when hearing the word “system” was “separate area for peeps to shout that they need something and have no cash”.

Like a marketplace. That kind of thing, I am down with.

Burgo
    Participant
    Up

There already is a very well organises barter system in Australia, and it should be a private thing. It is also a very good way to loose friends.

The Cafe Ninja
    Up

Chaps, all I mean by system is I say what I need and someone responds and we agree between ourselves. That’s it. I have never seen any barter systems elsewhere so I’m happy to have a look at those….

LeelaCosgrove
    • Total posts: 634
    Up

Ninja … yeah, I see your point – it’s just that, even if it’s done privately, I think Flying Solo would end up with people coming to them and complaining if things didn’t work out. They could even open themselves to liability …

There’s Bartercard … but you see, to me, that takes all the fun and creativity out of bartering … by equaling everything out and assigning points, how is it any different to using money? This is the ‘safe’ way to barter …

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with people looking for people to barter with on this website … but I would suggest that if you need something, you have a look around, see who is on here regularly and then PM them or email them with a proposal … that way you can still use FS as a resource to find people, but the good people of FS aren’t left open to being asked to mediate …

The Cafe Ninja
    Up

I looked into using bartercard some years ago and found it to be very problematic. I found that as soon as people found out you wanted a bartercard quote they hiked the price up. It almost became a two tier system and totally defeated the point of the barter system.

I wouldn’t expect the FS authorities to be mediators and I don’t see the problem with using FS to contact other members for bartering. I don’t think bartering is any more dangerous in liability terms that what we all do on here – give advice…

Burgo
    Participant
    Up

I dont think we give advice on the forum I believe we are really offering our opinions. Advice is something you pay for and use and if it dosent work you can take legal action because by the acceptance of the advice given you have entered into a legal contract.

Opinions are the thoughts and experience of the person who is sharing freely and there is no legally binding contract.

Please correct me if Im wrong.

The Barter system is fine for those thatw ish to use it. Personally I only use a barter agreement with one person and that is my accountant, and as I have mentioned on another post or two I havent paid him in thirty years. I really dont think it is a fair system, because I really dont believe I have given him equal value but he’s happy, but Im the one that has the guilt complex.
    Besides the Barter system doesnt pay off the mortgage, or put food on the table, and in actual fact should be taxable.

BB
    • Total posts: 215
    Up

Bartering can work well, and be of great benefit to the people involved.

We don’t really need a ‘Flying Solo Barter System’ – it’s too hard in too many areas for too many people.

BUT – we Do have, and this post/thread is in the right place – a section called “Need a Resource”.

From what I can see – you need some help – you post a thread – and somebody answers you. Is that simple or what!! (giggle)
    How you pay for the service, or whether you barter is between the people who reply. My suggestion would be to state in your initial post that you wish to barter for this service. Obviously, bartering may not work for everybody – they just might not have something you desire, so be prepared to pay for things also.

Life doesn’t have to be complicated!

B.B.

Sheree
    • Total posts: 33
    Up

Hi I am Sheree

I would join you with that.

We could develop a network of soloists to come on board.

I am coaching/consulting with clients to create the successful mindset

Chris Howard is now referring as ‘time to upgrade the mental software,make empowered choices to determine your future.’

Attraction Marketing System,coaching clients to set a successful marketing system: attract new clients to your business.

Should we set up a new group?
    Keep me posted on progress.

Sheree Montgomerie
    AttractingclientstoyourBiz

Small Business Marketing Experts
    http://www.smallbusinessmarketingcd.com
    [email protected]
    Coach/PsychEd consultant
    (03) 9798 4361

mswift
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    Burgo, post: 3148 wrote:
    I dont think we give advice on the forum I believe we are really offering our opinions. Advice is something you pay for and use and if it dosent work you can take legal action because by the acceptance of the advice given you have entered into a legal contract.

??
    The reason I joined this site was because all of the advice I discovered in these forum threads and on the site.

travelmaster
    • Total posts: 200
    Up

forum advice is one thing, doing a “job” on a barter basis is something completely different.

I’m with Burgo on this one – something tells me this is going to end in tears.

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up

There is a reason Bartercard is nowhere near as popular as it once was – and that is ever since GST came in, the law has basically been that you have to pay the GST on the value of what it would be worth, even if you don’t actually charge anyone.

This means that if anyone decides to set up a Barter system but doesn’t give the tax man his share, he gets very upset. One reason why official systems of this type aren’t always the best idea.

Matt

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.