Home – New Forums Tell me straight… What am I?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    ::

I’ve been dragged out from under the tree where I was happily dozing to become involved in a new business venture.

Issue; I’m not sure how to define what it’s called in laymen terms, or anything else for that matter and whether it’s actually one business or two…and no, I’m not going to ask the ABN question.

Currently I do a weird mix of what could loosely be described as web development for micro business/soloists with odds and sods of advice/implementation of anything from business email and domain management to “whatever” North of that.

Until recently I didn’t even have a website…didn’t need or want one. I now have a site while what happens next is figured out, two whole pages https://34south.io/

A serious opportunity sort of fell in my lap (very long story) which loosely involves implementing a series of web services for an NFP (possibly plural) it’s still subject to a commercial in confidence agreement prior to first contract at the end of the month which saves yet another long story.

Implementing these services requires coding skills for bit’s of it, web skills for bits of it, but it ain’t web designer territory and probably not developer either.

What would you call it? Can it wrapped under one label?

I’d like to know, partly to answer in three words or less what I’m on about and partly to get the angle right on a website that I now need.

Almost to the end of ramble but not without a shout out to [USER=20554]@JohnTranter[/USER] for his time and offer of assistance when we looked like getting out of our depth developing our pitch.

If anyone has a brilliant idea how to solve this I’d love to know, either here, or there’s an office email button on the site link.

Thanks for reading

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hey Greg,

I’m very intrigued by this, sounds exciting :)

From the overview above it sounds to me like in three words you might be a ‘digital business consultant’, which seems to fit within your current business offering.

This assumes that you are being engaged by a third party to develop web services on their behalf. If you’re setting up a new business with them, or with another partner, then that would be more complicated.

Look forward to hearing more as it evolves.

Cheers, Peter

Greg_M
    Up

Hi Peter,

It smelled a little like that to me too. I don’t mind the word consult, but consultant reeks of corporate types charging a lot of money with no responsibility, offering a flash CV and not much else.

At the certainty of another ramble I’ll try and clarify what I’m on about.

We’re developing some stuff in house but not web services as such, more taking advantage of where tech is headed and tying in outside services that already exist and are mature and tailoring it to individual use cases e.g.

https://www.twilio.com/ (just happened to be one I’m researching)

The web is rapidly becoming about API’s, not database driven CMS’s. Even fortune 500 companies are rapidly moving to “static” websites for security, running cost, and flexibility.

Some of this stuff offers great opportunities for micro business to have a scaleable (or tiny) web presence (or no web presence), that’s modular and cheap to run…no such thing as plugins, shared hosting, or bots :)

Regardless of web presence micro business today needs to manage information as well as the big boys to stay in the race, we’re using off the shelf products to do this too…just tinkering to suit each use case or business.

So I guess it’s a range of products that can mesh together (or not) according to business size and need. All bomb tested for security, no maintenance, ease of use.

In the current case at hand we needed to prove data could be collected simply by people with no IT skills, and not be corrupted by them (some have serious mental health issues) and still save time and money…so far it’s working.

And I’m not alone doing this, I’m too fond of sitting under that tree these days to do all the leg work, but I do have resources that will.

The preference is to work with micro businesses that don’t want to DIY, secure or maintain anything apart from a monthly payment (no contracts).

Hope I’m not really a consultant.

Cheers

elissa.doxey
    • Total posts: 145
    Up

Web devigner? ;)

(oh god, thought I was just making up that word, but it actually exists!)

Peter – FS Administrator
    Up

[USER=88225]@elissa.doxey[/USER] – I like web devigner ;)

Greg – based on that longer description I agree that consultant doesn’t accurately describe what you’re doing.

Sounds more like a partnership… ‘Digital Partner’ or ‘Technology Partner’ maybe? That would be if you are developing tech solutions for clients rather than creating ‘products/solutions’ and selling them to businesses.

Interesting one :)

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Greg,

For hard-to-label services I find using examples works best. If you start by listing the type of specific things you do, then people can go down the list and match up your services directly with the things they need done.

People look past the words/labels anyway to real things like “can they do X and Y, oh yes it says they do X and Y.”

Overall it sounds like you help businesses take advantage of technology. You customise cloud software, and manage and maintain IT needs such as A, B, C.

It may simplify to Software Customisation, IT setup and management, Cloud Services (rather than some cliché title). Then you list examples of the specific jobs under these categories.

It may then help to add a couple of 1-paragraph stories about projects you’ve done. We did X, Y, Z for an accounting firm handling all the __ jobs, leading to a big time saving on ___ and more effective marketing via ___.

Just talk about what you do directly and the right people will recognise their needs within what you do. Leave it to your competition try to be clever and sound impressive. :)
    Dave

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Sorry I have to chime into this, and I’m actually going to suggest a 2 word title based on your clarification [USER=38207]@Greg_M[/USER], plus the fact that I find a lot of todays terminology (ie. Funnel, Partner, etc) just to be up themselves (oops should I say that, well i did).

What you described you are a good old fashioned ”Project Manager”, very simple, not up yourself.

Greg_M
    Up
    elissa.doxey, post: 256665, member: 88225 wrote:
    Web devigner? ;)

(oh god, thought I was just making up that word, but it actually exists!)

I had to look it up too. Close, but no cigar…I’m not a designers bootlace.

Cheers

Greg_M
    Up
    Peter – FS Administrator, post: 256667, member: 1 wrote:
    [USER=88225]@elissa.doxey[/USER] – I like web devigner ;)

Greg – based on that longer description I agree that consultant doesn’t accurately describe what you’re doing.

Sounds more like a partnership… ‘Digital Partner’ or ‘Technology Partner’ maybe? That would be if you are developing tech solutions for clients rather than creating ‘products/solutions’ and selling them to businesses.

I went down this track a short distance until I read Bert’s definition of a partner…tended to agree with him, though one of our strong points has been establishing strong personal relationships and trust with customers.

But I kind of like having the option of telling them to F off when they cross the line. That get’s more tricky when you claim to be partners.

Hate to be picky, but thanks for the suggestion.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Peter – FS Administrator, post: 256667, member: 1 wrote:

I think I wrote it in another thread where a web designer, developer or what ever they were calling themselves were saying they were a partner. If you look at the dictionary a partner is ”a person who takes part in an undertaking with another or others, especially in a business or firm with shared risks and profits.”

I have yet to see a web developer, designer, business coach, SEO guru, gardener, marketer, etc fulfil this definition. None of them share any risk, the day they offer a guarantee (yeah i do harp on), then maybe they are taking some of the risk. But until then partner should be banned by an act of parliament. IMHO

Greg_M
    Up
    Dave – FS Concierge, post: 256668, member: 49676 wrote:
    Hi Greg,

For hard-to-label services I find using examples works best. If you start by listing the type of specific things you do, then people can go down the list and match up your services directly with the things they need done.

People look past the words/labels anyway to real things like “can they do X and Y, oh yes it says they do X and Y.”

Overall it sounds like you help businesses take advantage of technology. You customise cloud software, and manage and maintain IT needs such as A, B, C.

It may simplify to Software Customisation, IT setup and management, Cloud Services (rather than some cliché title). Then you list examples of the specific jobs under these categories.

It may then help to add a couple of 1-paragraph stories about projects you’ve done. We did X, Y, Z for an accounting firm handling all the __ jobs, leading to a big time saving on ___ and more effective marketing via ___.

Just talk about what you do directly and the right people will recognise their needs within what you do. Leave it to your competition try to be clever and sound impressive. :)
    Dave

This is about where my current thinking is/was/?

But I can’t come up with that elusive headline…maybe it doesn’t matter. I suppose I was looking at that elusive 2 second message on a mobile screen…a moot point when 99.99% of clients don’t/won’t come off the web but from direct referral and I’m not chasing volume either. Value adding and residual income sounds more interesting.

Website will be informational rather trying to close a sale…leads aren’t the issue, but currently it’s a bit rough having a 2 page coming soon page.

I think I was struggling with reconciling what I’ve been doing in a somewhat ad hoc fashion with making it all a little slicker. And possibly over thinking it (as usual).

Thanks for the input.

Peter – FS Administrator
    Up

Maybe something very literal and simple like ‘Helping businesses harness technology’, with a few examples as per Dave’s suggestion.
    As you say it sounds like your opportunities will come from direct referrals or existing relationships in any case :)
    Keep us posted!
    Peter

Greg_M
    Up
    bb1, post: 256670, member: 53375 wrote:
    Sorry I have to chime into this, and I’m actually going to suggest a 2 word title based on your clarification [USER=38207]@Greg_M[/USER], plus the fact that I find a lot of todays terminology (ie. Funnel, Partner, etc) just to be up themselves (oops should I say that, well i did).

What you described you are a good old fashioned ”Project Manager”, very simple, not up yourself.

There’s some who may disagree with you Bert about how to describe me, but I think you’re correct about project manager. I was just trying to webify (now is that a word) it a bit without being too cliche.

One thing I do have is a serious CV in project management, albeit in another industry but the principals don’t change…deliver a fit for purpose result to specification, budget and timeline.

Slightly off topic, but a few years back I went to Uni as a mature age student to do some IT subjects. In the mix was software project management, what an eye opener that was; scope creep, budget creep, what’s a timeline? Were facts of life and accepted.

Where I’d been working you’d last about 2 days with that approach, could even get yourself kneecapped if you really blew it.

So some hardcore skills learned in that environment I’ve found are badly needed by business in the digital world and are being applied in this venture.

I’ve been given plenty of food for thought and hopefully a little clarity will just “happen”.

Greg_M
    Up
    Peter – FS Administrator, post: 256687, member: 1 wrote:
    Maybe something very literal and simple like ‘Helping businesses harness technology’, with a few examples as per Dave’s suggestion.
    As you say it sounds like your opportunities will come from direct referrals or existing relationships in any case :)
    Keep us posted!
    Peter

Trust a copywriter to nail it. Who said it was hard to prove ROI on a copywriter.

Harness is very good word…

Might be back on track.

Thanks for all the input, nice to know I’m not a consultant.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,386
    Up

2 words – Tech Enabler – for small business – there, another 3 words [USER=38207]@Greg_M[/USER] .

Dave’s list makes a lot of practical sense.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.