Home – New Forums Marketing mastery What approach should I take?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    mickey mouse
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

I have an online childrens gold jewellery store and sales have been a bit slow. I need to get some jewellery out there in actual stores as I feel this is a product someone would prefer to see before they buy. I found a couple of independent stores to start with that would be perfect, but im not sure how to approach them. Should I send them an email to see if they would be interested? Should I call and just ask to come in? Should I just drop in unexpected to show them what I have? I would love to hear answers from an any store owners out there, and would love some inside information on how they deal with there current suppliers. This would help me alot. Thanks

jaycar
    • Total posts: 46
    Up

I used to own a small telecommunications shop about 15 years ago. there was one thing I hated and that was when people would call me asking to show me some new accessories etc as this took up so much time. What I did prefer was to have someone just come in, wait their turn if the shop was busy and tell me what they had. Then I could have a quick look and see if it was of interest and if I was busy and liked what I saw, I would make a time with them to talk details.

I think you will have much more success this way than making phone calls or sending emails that the decision maker will probably not even get to read.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

Re: which approach do I take?

Ring, make appt and go in.
    Don’t bother with email.
    If they are really local, try just dropping in with samples.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi mickey mouse,

Just a quick note to let you know that I’ve merged your two duplicate threads into this one (which was the one that had more responses to it).

We don’t allow duplicate threads in the forum, as it tends to make conversations confusing to follow.

Hope you understand,
    Jayne

mark_xpnsit
    • Total posts: 140
    Up

I would tend to agree, call and book an appointment and then follow-up with an email to confirm. I would have thought people are busy and generally wouldnt have time to see you if you just turned up, although if you pick a quiet times (e.g. don’t go at lunch time) you might get to speak to a responsive owners looking to increase sales.

TizzBizz
    • Total posts: 28
    Up

Gotta go with the majority here as well.

Having worked as a manager in a few stores throughout the years I used to hate it when people would just show up and then expect that you had the time to talk to them and go over products. I was always more conducive to purchasing when they had called to make a time to come in BUT as King said, if they are really local/ you are in a country town then just pop in and say hi – to replace the phone call. With this last part make sure your ‘popping in’ is purely to get an appointment to go back. So short, sweet and friendly!

mickey mouse
    Up
    TizzBizz, post: 55451 wrote:
    Gotta go with the majority here as well.

Having worked as a manager in a few stores throughout the years I used to hate it when people would just show up and then expect that you had the time to talk to them and go over products. I was always more conducive to purchasing when they had called to make a time to come in BUT as King said, if they are really local/ you are in a country town then just pop in and say hi – to replace the phone call. With this last part make sure your ‘popping in’ is purely to get an appointment to go back. So short, sweet and friendly!

Thankyou….ill be taking this advise. Does anyone think it is unprofessional if I made a visit to store owners BEFORE I actually have stock to show, just to get there opinion on whether it would be something they are interested in, then later come back for an actual showing at a later date. I need to place jewellery orders, but am unsure on how much to buy. If I cant get support from stores I might be left with too much stock. Also, does anyone know if there is a general rule on price markups from manufacturer to wholesaler to retailer?

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

I rather expect they will want to see it.

Can you order just sample stock, even tho the cost will be higher, to take around?

Remember, the competition will have physical product to show them.

SheInspires
    • Total posts: 247
    Up

A friend of mine reps her own jewellery around the country and she calls ahead for appointments and shows samples that orders are made from as well as having some extra stock that can be purchased immediately.

She also has a stand at the JAA expo each year and makes sure all her customers know about it and are invited along.

I know she also has previously gone into shops to check them out and introduce herself to make an appointment. If they’re happy to look at stock immediately she has it on hand.

The comments about respecting the time and availability of the retailer are completely spot on – never prevent a retailer from serving a customer and making a sale.

The standard industry mark up varies from 2.1 to over 3.6 – Pandora has a huge mark up of course – manufactured in Asia and sold at over $60 so that’s well over the 3.6. So it varies from product to product and business to business.

I know DJ’s has a standard of 2.4 markup from wholesale to retail and this is based on the wholesale + GST amount.

Most retailers would probably want at least a 2.4 factor and know that stock needs to be ordered and manufactured. Just have realistic dates on hand so you can deliver on time.

I hope this helpful!

All the best,
    Belinda

mickey mouse
    Up
    SheInspires, post: 56208 wrote:
    A friend of mine reps her own jewellery around the country and she calls ahead for appointments and shows samples that orders are made from as well as having some extra stock that can be purchased immediately.

She also has a stand at the JAA expo each year and makes sure all her customers know about it and are invited along.

I know she also has previously gone into shops to check them out and introduce herself to make an appointment. If they’re happy to look at stock immediately she has it on hand.

The comments about respecting the time and availability of the retailer are completely spot on – never prevent a retailer from serving a customer and making a sale.

The standard industry mark up varies from 2.1 to over 3.6 – Pandora has a huge mark up of course – manufactured in Asia and sold at over $60 so that’s well over the 3.6. So it varies from product to product and business to business.

I know DJ’s has a standard of 2.4 markup from wholesale to retail and this is based on the wholesale + GST amount.

Most retailers would probably want at least a 2.4 factor and know that stock needs to be ordered and manufactured. Just have realistic dates on hand so you can deliver on time.

I hope this helpful!

All the best,
    Belinda

Do you mind me asking who your friend is & what her business name is?
    Maybe I could speak with her directly to learn more. That’s if she wouldn’t mind….
    No one in this industry is willing to help me at this point & I am feeling defeated.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.