Home Forums Marketing mastery What are your essential ingredients for a business event/one day conference

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Lucy Kippist
    • Total posts: 230

I attended an event in Sydney yesterday for a thought leader and business coach who works with lots of women, particularly in the real estate space. The venue was fancy and spacious and well set-up, with a great bounty of flowers and tables of women there to learn and support each other. Lunch was delicious! As Monday’s go this one did not disappoint.

In the last hour we were given feedback forms to fill out that prompted us to leave a comment for our host to consider next time. That got me thinking about what makes a successful event from an attendee perspective.

Here are my 5 must-haves; what would you add?

1. A nice venue: Spending a day somewhere you’d not normally go is a real incentive for me. It doesn’t have to be a fancy address, but consideration of the ambience is a huge draw card.
    2. A great keynote/guest speaker – at yesterday’s event this person was the star of the show, no question. I took so many notes and even today some of her points are still circulating around my head.
    2. Feeling ” comfortable” – “good” hosts need to tread that very fine line between making people feel included but also not singling out those more introverted guests hanging out on the sidelines.
    3. Well-spaced breaks – you don’t want to be getting up every five minutes but also, an hour-hour and a half seems like a long time to be sitting without getting up.
    5. A takeaway “something” – a pen, a gift bag, a magazine, a notebook, a key ring, a copy of your book. It makes you look generous and acts as a bit of reminder of the event days or even weeks later.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,183

If it has a networking event, having somebody “match” new attendees with people that will make them feel welcome.

Otherwise, killer content all the way for me.

Lucy Kippist

I agree with that Paul! If the content is lacking – well – it’s just a (fancier) space to look at your phone :)

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485

Coffee / Juice and good quality sandwhiches

Lucy Kippist
    bb1, post: 265472, member: 53375 wrote:
    Coffee / Juice and good quality sandwhiches
    Nobody has time for bad sandwiches Bert, I completely agree!
    RunicConvenience
    • Total posts: 186

Excellent locations, trinkets don’t do much for me. If your content is not valuable enough to hold your audiences attention than does it need to be an in-person conference or meeting.

I have been to a few “events” in my time, and the speakers would have been better just generating an excellent website and sending out a newsletter. Because the “stage” presentation ended up just being a person passing slides and reading them to the audience and with today’s busy schedules we don’t have time for 15-minute meetings that only take our time but give nothing to the audience.

Have the right message or content. Please have some decent coffee/tea supplies because there is nothing worse than having to queue up downstairs at the closest coffee shop than dealing with them slowly re-entering during the next “talk” after a break.

If your doing a stall or marketing booth in a convention sure fill it up with “posters” about your business but consider if the message is telling the viewers what it is. I have seen some food booths at conventions trying to get their products on shelves waste so much time talking about the sourcing, the friendly “local” business and the quality of the ingredients that I have to go up and talk to the stall holder to even know the “product” they are selling.

Lucy Kippist

This is a terrific list, rumi. Especially like the point you make there about what to include on your stall. Thanks for weighing in.

MattH753
    • Total posts: 15

Events how good were they?? :)
    For me, it’s the quality of speakers and the chance to talk with other delegates.
    Food, natural light, non-temperamental aircon, strong coffee, good sponsors related to conference all add to the experience.

smithmelisa92@gmail.com
    Participant
    • Total posts: 21

These are the essential ingredients for a business event:

1. Make sure the venue aligns with the event
    2. Build a detailed content plan with unique takeaways
    3. Create your conference marketing tree
    4. Give every attendee a leg up on networking
    5. Take a walk in the shoes of all-conference stakeholders
    6. Spare yourself the most common conference planning headaches
    7. Take a deep dive with leading-edge conference insights
    8. Increase app engagement

dandy2902
    Participant
    • Total posts: 15

Totally agree with you. I cannot stand for long workshop or event without a teabreak

Mandy Barker
    Participant
    • Total posts: 11

The most memorable events for me are the ones where I’ve been able to connect with others.

Some of that comes down to the event being organised so that there is ‘space’ between sessions and in lunch/coffee breaks for folks to stand around and chat.

But it’s also up to me to walk up to someone new and start the conversation, and if there is a connection to ask for a card and then follow up that connection later on after the event.

I’ve met some great folks at events, regardless of the event itself, these connections are valued by me.

valentlau
    Participant
    • Total posts: 62

Unless a trinket is valuable it’s a waste of your $. (ie worth at least $30+ and something I wanted to buy anyway – not yet another branded usb key that breaks after 3mths)

Think about what makes a memorable event. What will remind them of how it felt, 6 mths on? What will attract new clients the next year? It’s the marketing, branding, photography, energy of the speakers, quality of other attendees. I can deal with a bad venue, crap food, plastic branded pens, but if the atmosphere and energy is missing I won’t return.

Tom Valcanis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 9

I think it has to have content that I can actually take away and put into practice as soon as I get back to my desk. If it’s just table scraps in the hope we pony up for an expensive course or book or whatever, then it’s a waste of my time, and time is money. The speakers can have all the energy in the world but if they’re just spouting platitudes and cliches then it’s also a waste of time.

I sell words because my words sell. Copywriter at I Sell Words - 0417120749
    Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,183

I agree with all of the above.

In the events world, I reckon that everything you come into contact with should be first class to make it a memorable and worthwhile experience.

That probably sounds like hot air but there are great events out there amongst the many that claim to be great but don’t deliver.

Cheers
    Paul

Cec Busby
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 8

I think it has to have content that I can actually take away and put into practice as soon as I get back to my desk. If it’s just table scraps in the hope we pony up for an expensive course or book or whatever, then it’s a waste of my time, and time is money. The speakers can have all the energy in the world but if they’re just spouting platitudes and cliches then it’s also a waste of time.

I totally agree. Clear actionable takeaways are a must – though I have to say I’m a sucker for stationery – give me a notebook and a nice new pen and I’m happy as Larry (whoever he may be…)

Cec Busby Editor Flying Solo
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.