Home – New Forums Tech talk What are your thoughts on adding Social Media and a Blog link to your website?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Gordon Akman
    • Total posts: 229
    Up
    ::

I think I’m going to add links to: Facebook; Twitter; and Blogger to my website. Maybe put hyperlinked buttons in the spare white space under my ‘contact us’ button. As usual, please give me your thoughts/opinions.

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

If it’s relevant, then yes do it. I do and also have them linked in my email signature block.

Gordon Akman
    • Total posts: 229
    Up

I have now added facebook, twitter and blogger links to my website.

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    Gordon Akman, post: 22755 wrote:
    I have now added facebook, twitter and blogger links to my website.

Hi Gordon can I give you a couple of SEO tips for your website

1. You have no Meta Description Content in the header. It is very important and is used by search engines to determine keywords for content and Google will use it in search results. It is useful on every page but specially the home page

2. Similarly you need to have a Meta keywords, it is not used by Google but is used by some other search engines.

Link will explain the above – http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_meta.asp

3. You don’t have alt or title tags on any images. That basically means that where you have text in you image the search engines can’t figure out what it is. So if you add alt tags then you describe the content of an image to the serch engine. the title tag will show up when you put your mouse over the image to give more information.

Link will explain the above – http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_IMG.asp

4. It is also really important to have your main keywords in the home page title as again the search engines use this to determine important keywords. Putting keywords in your title will improve your rank in search. Just you company name is not effective.

Regards

John

bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up

Gordon

Good idea, and congrats for taking action.

Now, you’ll need a way to measure whether doing so is actually beneficial to you. Can I suggest you sign up for a free Google Analytics account, and when you’re done, paste the code they give you just before the tag on your webpage(s).

That will allow you to see who visits your website (I assume you don’t already have some sort of web log analysis tool that you can run) and also be able to track the links that people click on – your Facebook, Twitter and Blogger accounts respectively.

You can also sign up for a free account at bit.ly – this is a URL shortener service which will also let you track who clicked on that link. Instead of making the target of your social media buttons go directly to say twitter.com/GordonAkman, create a bit.ly short link, and use that instead. You can then log into bit.ly and see how many people clicked on those links.

I use TweetDeck as my Twitter client, and it has a number of URL shorteners that it works with, but I’ve set mine to default to bit.ly – you’ll need an API key from bit.ly that you put into TweetDeck so that bit.ly can track the URL’s you make available on Twitter.

That’s as clear as mud, right? :)

If you need help, just holler!

Cheers
    Brad

seb
    • Total posts: 35
    Up

I think it’s only worthwhile if you’re prepared to invest the time in generating interesting content. If the content is there, then definitely do it, but if you’re not going to stick at it then there might work against you – a twitter feed with the last post 6 months ago isn’t that crash hot!

QS Supplements
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

agreed
    were finding it hard to put up content on social media. i think the solutuion is to have some sort of plan of attack. a weekly, monthly or daily message and plan ahead of what you will say. like be prepared one month in advance
    all the best

soliddata
    • Total posts: 392
    Up
    QS Supplements, post: 24173 wrote:
    i think the solutuion is to have some sort of plan of attack. a weekly, monthly or daily message and plan ahead of what you will say. like be prepared one month in advance

Great idea,

Prepare a list of messages for each week (or whatever suitable time interval) for next six months. Either write the messages/articles yourself or contract a freelancer to do it.

Kevin

exstatic
    • Total posts: 335
    Up

Its also extremely important that if you do create a social media presence that you are actually part of it!

There is no point creating one and just leaving it, or spamming your website address every few days – that is a sure fire way to lose followers and degrade your brand.

Become part of the market, deliver interesting news to your market about things that might be happening – not just about your business.

Can I suggest using a tool like Google Reader to keep up to date with news in your market..maybe post occasional links to competitors and other offerings that people who are following you might find interesting

Provide value to your market, talk to people in it, interact with people in it!

It is called Social networking for a reason :)

soliddata
    • Total posts: 392
    Up

Yep true.

So you need to limit your social networks to the ones you can get best bang for your time, and thus you then DO spend the time needed.

Kev

QS Supplements
    Up

google reader? first time i heard about it. some research to do
    also agree on the fact that you need to be part of it and also limit to the time worthy ones

[Former] FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Actually QS, I really like the idea of you guys having a strong social media strategy… with a niche market like the one you’re aiming for it seems like the most effective solution to your ‘how do we promote?’ query on the other thread.

I’d explore this a bit more if I were you.

Good luck!
    Jayne

KeepitSimpleIT
    • Total posts: 88
    Up

Hmmm great question and my current hot topic with customers.

I think automation is the key here, don’t be having to manually input it into your website and into social media…. wasting your time.

Also of importance, don’t spam the social media. You just lesson your value in this space for your business.

Does it work? Marginally at best .. for the time being.

I say be on the wagon… for not being on the wagon can potentially mean a bigger loss later on.

Lizzie
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

I’ve been looking at web sites, in preparation for helping a client with marketing and PR. My one word of warning, as it were, about blog links, particularly, is that the blog has to be maintained and current! I think it reflects poorly on the business if the most recently blog entry was 6 or 9 months ago. In one instance, a web site for a competitor for another client has a blog in which the most recent entry is two years ago.

QS Supplements
    Up

well just to let you all know our facebook profile, fan page and twitter campaign over one week has managed to dramatically increase the number of hits on our website. definately made a lot more people aware, specially friends that didnt know about our business

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.