Home – New Forums Marketing mastery What aspect of marketing do you find most challenging?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Sid@AbbyPractice
    • Total posts: 38
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

We’re running a marketing workshop next week, and I’d love your feedback on a couple of areas:

First, I’d like to know where you spend the majority of your marketing dollars – on
    traditional or digital marketing?

Second, I’d like to know what you find most challenging about marketing. Understanding your target market? Developing marketing segments? Or even the act of writing a marketing plan?

I look forward to your thoughts!

WhatsThePlanDan
    Participant
    • Total posts: 297
    Up
    Sid@AbbyPractice, post: 153396 wrote:
    Second, I’d like to know what you find most challenging about marketing. Understanding your target market? Developing marketing segments? Or even the act of writing a marketing plan?

All of the above!! What I’ve struggled most with lately is deciding exactly who our target market should be as everything else flows from here.

Cheers
    Daniel

Dave’s IT
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

1. I use digital media primarily but I have recently purchased a laser printer to crank out paper flyers, I’m hoping with continual use they will get my brand out there.

2. Target market understanding is difficult for me also, I’m happy to have any client at the moment but I should start focusing on a niche….

Sid@AbbyPractice
    Up
    WhatsThePlanDan, post: 153413 wrote:
    All of the above!! What I’ve struggled most with lately is deciding exactly who our target market should be as everything else flows from here.

Cheers
    Daniel

That’s what many of our workshop attendees told us too, Daniel. Best of luck deciding on yours – any tricks you’d like to share as to how you plan to manage this?

Sid@AbbyPractice
    Up
    Dave’s IT, post: 153472 wrote:
    1. I use digital media primarily but I have recently purchased a laser printer to crank out paper flyers, I’m hoping with continual use they will get my brand out there.

2. Target market understanding is difficult for me also, I’m happy to have any client at the moment but I should start focusing on a niche….

Interesting that you’re making the move back to traditional marketing Dave, I’d be interested to hear how that goes for you.

WhatsThePlanDan
    Participant
    • Total posts: 297
    Up
    Sid@AbbyPractice, post: 154175 wrote:
    That’s what many of our workshop attendees told us too, Daniel. Best of luck deciding on yours – any tricks you’d like to share as to how you plan to manage this?

Hahaha – shouldn’t that be the other way around! :D

I’m basically breaking it down to a lowest common denominator – pick each of the core services then either decide who we want to offer it to (and then consider whether what we are offering is likely to be of interest to them) or look at what we are offering and try to figure out who is likely to be interested in that (consider, what problem does it solve, who has that problem AND wants to get rid of it). The final step is to hope that there is a common theme amongst the targets for each service that adds up to a generic target market for the business as a whole. :confused:

I’m actually a little nervous about all this as it is the area I’ve had least success with in the past so I’m hoping I can get it right this time!

Cheers
    Daniel

JBillie
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Getting the message across! How to tell someone they need your product, or to get them to share it with their friends :)

Chris H
    • Total posts: 111
    Up
    WhatsThePlanDan, post: 154199 wrote:

I’m basically breaking it down to a lowest common denominator – pick each of the core services then either decide who we want to offer it to (and then consider whether what we are offering is likely to be of interest to them) or look at what we are offering and try to figure out who is likely to be interested in that (consider, what problem does it solve, who has that problem AND wants to get rid of it). The final step is to hope that there is a common theme amongst the targets for each service that adds up to a generic target market for the business as a whole. :confused:

I’m actually a little nervous about all this as it is the area I’ve had least success with in the past so I’m hoping I can get it right this time!

Cheers
    Daniel

200% agree with your method of flyers :)

I think quite often we lose the understanding of what makes home printing so fantastic and that’s the ability to vary the content without paying for setups.
    In my experience generic marketing has been pretty futile, but if I picked a demographic or interest group and targeted the content of the material to them with laser like precision I have seen my response rates over 30%. It’s all about content, i.e. if you’re targeting Mums with babies let the content and copy reflect that, if it’s a specific industry group then target them.

ShanDesign
    • Total posts: 67
    Up

Hi,

There are a lot of great statistics and tools available for online marketing, but I sometimes find it hard to find statistics to help direct traditional marketing such as mail outs.

Do you happen to know any good resources available that tell you about the demographics of particular areas?

When doing mails outs, I have used different strategies to track how successful it has been eg. qr codes, dedicated web page or phone number etc. It would be handy to have a better idea before hand though.

Dave’s IT
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

This thread is valuable information, I never really considered targeting my clientelle until now and it really dawned on me that if I choose my work, I’ll feel more comfortable and confident doing it.

On the other hand, if I keep within my comfort zone, will I feel challenged?

Mary Gardam
    • Total posts: 192
    Up

Hi,

I find social media marketing challenging :eek:. I love writing and creating content but I struggle to know how to create the buy-in or the hook required.

Social media isn’t new to me but creating B2B engagement through social media is a science that I’d like to learn more about.

Mary

Sid@AbbyPractice
    Up
    mg, post: 154320 wrote:
    Hi,

I find social media marketing challenging :eek:. I love writing and creating content but I struggle to know how to create the buy-in or the hook required.

Social media isn’t new to me but creating B2B engagement through social media is a science that I’d like to learn more about.

Mary

Hi Mary,

You’re not alone! Have you checked out Hubspot? They have incredible resources about B2B social media marketing – eBooks, whitepapers and blogs. I can’t recommend them highly enough.

http://blog.hubspot.com/

We’re also planning on running a free social media for small business workshop in June. If you’re in Sydney, we’d love you to attend.

Good luck!

Sid.

Sid@AbbyPractice
    Up
    WhatsThePlanDan, post: 154199 wrote:

Cheers
    Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Sounds like you could be onto a winning formula there.

Marketing can be a tricky aspect to wrap your head around, especially if you’re more of a numbers person, so best of luck with it all.

Thanks,

Sid

Sid@AbbyPractice
    Up
    Chris H, post: 154219 wrote:
    200% agree with your method of flyers :)

I think quite often we lose the understanding of what makes home printing so fantastic and that’s the ability to vary the content without paying for setups.
    In my experience generic marketing has been pretty futile, but if I picked a demographic or interest group and targeted the content of the material to them with laser like precision I have seen my response rates over 30%. It’s all about content, i.e. if you’re targeting Mums with babies let the content and copy reflect that, if it’s a specific industry group then target them.

Great thinking, Chris!

Home printing is an excellent way to keep costs down and it allows you to be agile and change tactics quickly if a previous formula hasn’t worked.

Sid@AbbyPractice
    Up
    ShanDesign, post: 154237 wrote:
    Hi,

There are a lot of great statistics and tools available for online marketing, but I sometimes find it hard to find statistics to help direct traditional marketing such as mail outs.

Do you happen to know any good resources available that tell you about the demographics of particular areas?

When doing mails outs, I have used different strategies to track how successful it has been eg. qr codes, dedicated web page or phone number etc. It would be handy to have a better idea before hand though.

Hi Shan,

You’re right, there’s lots on the internet about online marketing, but I’m yet to find any resources that deliver good information about demographics for mail outs.

Can anyone else help Shan with this?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.