Home – New Forums Selling online What comes after facebook??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    heftzwecke
    • Total posts: 213
    Up
    ::

fb got a bad rap recently and the numbers went down. I think it is still a good platform because you can target a market quite precisely, but my gut feeling is that it won’t be around for a very long time anymore. So, what will replace facebook- if at all?

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Facebook has been under fire recently for privacy etc, but I don’t think it’s going away anytime soon. It is so embedded as a platform for people’s lives. I think it’s true that the younger audience aren’t embracing FB as much as their parents, but FB Messenger seems to be wildly popular for social connection amongst teenagers. Not sure who will win in the end, but it seems to me that more private group platforms are becoming more popular.

heftzwecke
    Up

My kids say that facebook is for old people (like me). There are quite some discussion of people wanting to move away from facebook.

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

Even if it does morph into something for people out of their teens, so what? That is still an awfully big market.

Peter – FS Administrator
    Up

Yep, good points. I guess it comes down to who you are targeting. If your business is aimed at teens or trendsetters (just using that word makes me a non-trendsetter) then there will be other platforms such as Snapchat or any number of apps I’ve never heard of :)

heftzwecke
    Up

I would like the age of my online customers, offline it is 65+. I started that thread because yesterday, my whole business facebook page disappeared. That and the bad rap they got recently I thought that can’t last very long. I think it is not wise to rely on facebook only.

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    Up

It would be very foolish of any business to rely on one advertising/marketing platform or strategy. Facebook is just one part of any business ‘face’.

Peter – FS Administrator
    Up

Yes, a lot of publishers and brands have found that Facebook’s recent algorithm changes have significantly cut the reach of their posts almost overnight. These rule changes are definitely a good reason not to build your business with too much reliance on one platform.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

I said it in another thread where someone was trying to promote non digital marketing, but FB and the rest are all just Fad’s and will be gone in a day or 2 (!!!) , the only people not prepared to admit it are those who have built a business model on the current addiction (remember the cigarette industry).

I’m glad to see another person thinking beyond the next day or 2.

The quicker the marketers, open their eyes and use some creativity the better of all business will be.

RunicConvenience
    • Total posts: 186
    Up

I wish this fad would move on faster than in that case. alas Instagram kind of boosted facebook quite a bit and with to many people still relying on messanger as a chat platform I fear it will be years before that fad will ever die.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,339
    Up

I am sorry to hear that your business has been affected bu somebody else’s choice and decision [USER=88078]@heftzwecke[/USER]

And here is a fact:

FB is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Using somebody else’s platform is always a risk as they can change their Terms of Service at any point.

This has happened numerous times already, affecting thousands of businesses. Very recently, FB banned Crypto businesses. Youtube made changes that saw income drop by around 50% because some high paying advertisers withdrew from the platform and others were allowed to drop their ads from whole categories of videos.

The relevant business principle is to “own the racecourse, not the horse”. Translated, drive traffic to your own website, not somebody else’s.

The principle is an over-simplification of today’s business landscape but it bears a lot of thinking about BEFORE embarking on a plan around building a business on anybody’s platform rather than your own.

Have contingencies Baked In to you plan in the event that a platform changes it’s TOS if you are going to use that platform.

Consider alternatives such as having your own site and using advertising to drive traffic.

Aim for drawing traffic from a diverse range of sources – then if one changes their TOS but other’s don’t, you still have opportunities to sell.

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    Up

I love FB but I don’t use it for paid advertising, it is pretty shit at that.

I use it to converse with people in my industry (something that Linkedin should be doing but doesn’t – their groups are just full of promotional articles which is why they are not much used), help the customers of my customers which helps me in the long run, and keeping up with news in my industry. I use it a lot and hope it doesn’t go anywhere soon.

El Arish Tropical Exotics
    • Total posts: 227
    Up

Although you, I and Rowan have differences in our businesses we also have more similarities than the conventional business model you’ll see here in regard to online selling. I totally agree with Rowan on FB being a great tool to keep abreast of what is going on in your niche, connect with customers and establish yourself as an authority.

Online plant selling on FB is BOOMING as the majority of customers are a bit older.

The new algorithms can be a bonus if you contribute to communities like plant groups and can get customers recommending your business within these groups. If you genuinely like what you are doing and are a plant geek it isn’t hard.

Good thread here that covers the need to rethink FB here.

mikedev
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

I definitely don’t think it’s going anywhere anytime soon. It’s always in your best interest to never spread yourself thin when marketing.
    Try a web property, bank that property, or tank that property, then move onto the next.

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

What comes after facebook?

facebook-rehabilitation-center.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.