Home – New Forums New here? Share your story what do i need to do to kick start an online store

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    amol
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

hey all.
    im all ready to start my own retail store but i dont know where to star.
    what do i need first as in what do i need to get to get it all legit?
    as in abn, business registration etc??
    please can some one help me out with the boxes i need to tick.
    cheers

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

ABN, Register business name, e-commerce website of course, you may have to register for GST – not 100 per cent sure on that one. I’m sure others on here will be able to assist you on what else you need to do in order to get your idea up and running.

Best of luck with it all :)

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

ABN, Register business name, e-commerce website of course, you may have to register for GST – not 100 per cent sure on that one. I’m sure others on here will be able to assist you on what else you need to do in order to get your idea up and running.

Best of luck with it all :)

simonw
    • Total posts: 60
    Up

Yep, register for an ABN (free) and register business name. Check out business.gov.au for all the details. Then you will need a store. if you are new to websites, use a hosted DIY solution. I am a big fan of BigCommerce, but Volusion is another popular choice, but it has a LOT of negative reviews if you look around the net.

simonw
    • Total posts: 60
    Up

Yep, register for an ABN (free) and register business name. Check out business.gov.au for all the details. Then you will need a store. if you are new to websites, use a hosted DIY solution. I am a big fan of BigCommerce, but Volusion is another popular choice, but it has a LOT of negative reviews if you look around the net.

pix2print.com.au
    • Total posts: 178
    Up

Don’t forget to look into a good domain name with a name that is (if possible) describing of what you are trying to sell. Check out something like crazy domains where you can get domain names. They also offer all the services of hosting your website if you want.

I don’t know where you are located, but here in Brisbane you need to go to the Fair Trade office to register your business name. It is in the city and staff are very, very helpfull!

pix2print.com.au
    • Total posts: 178
    Up

Don’t forget to look into a good domain name with a name that is (if possible) describing of what you are trying to sell. Check out something like crazy domains where you can get domain names. They also offer all the services of hosting your website if you want.

I don’t know where you are located, but here in Brisbane you need to go to the Fair Trade office to register your business name. It is in the city and staff are very, very helpfull!

Fat Zebra
    • Total posts: 58
    Up

I think it’s important to seek some professional advice at the beginning. This can be from Gov websites, accountants or forums like this.

This advice should look at Business structure, finance requirements (if any) and banking structure. Try to understand these now and they will be a lot easier to manage in the future.

If you know a little about web development, then DIY solutions can be good. If not, then talk to someone who knows. Getting it right in the beginning will save you a lot of headaches going forward.

These are all requirements for a merchant account if you decide to use one (PayPal is another option). Your merchant bank will most likely want to see a business plan, projected financials, and gain an understanding of your product. You will also require to have refund policies and terms and conditions ready for the bank to assess.

It might sound overwhelming, but being prepared at the start will save you a lot of time and money.

Hope this helps.

Fat Zebra
    • Total posts: 58
    Up

I think it’s important to seek some professional advice at the beginning. This can be from Gov websites, accountants or forums like this.

This advice should look at Business structure, finance requirements (if any) and banking structure. Try to understand these now and they will be a lot easier to manage in the future.

If you know a little about web development, then DIY solutions can be good. If not, then talk to someone who knows. Getting it right in the beginning will save you a lot of headaches going forward.

These are all requirements for a merchant account if you decide to use one (PayPal is another option). Your merchant bank will most likely want to see a business plan, projected financials, and gain an understanding of your product. You will also require to have refund policies and terms and conditions ready for the bank to assess.

It might sound overwhelming, but being prepared at the start will save you a lot of time and money.

Hope this helps.

rexiedexie
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

Lots of good advise here. For sure anyone starting out.

Firstly you need your own web hosting, this way if you choose the right web host, one that provides templates you can create a mufti-site pages and promote many online opportunities; as well as your main business. I have well over 5000 pages online so generates big traffic for me. To see some gougle search the word rexiedexie

It only cost me one dollar a week. See my signature and join my community as there are many contacts that will assist you succeed.

rexiedexie
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

Lots of good advise here. For sure anyone starting out.

Firstly you need your own web hosting, this way if you choose the right web host, one that provides templates you can create a mufti-site pages and promote many online opportunities; as well as your main business. I have well over 5000 pages online so generates big traffic for me. To see some gougle search the word rexiedexie

It only cost me one dollar a week. See my signature and join my community as there are many contacts that will assist you succeed.

Nikita
    • Total posts: 120
    Up

Boxes to tick:

Products you going to sell
    ABN
    Business Registration
    Domain Name
    Website Hosting
    Web developer and designer
    SSL Certificate
    Bank Account
    Payment gateway
    Delivery Company

Nikita
    • Total posts: 120
    Up

Boxes to tick:

Products you going to sell
    ABN
    Business Registration
    Domain Name
    Website Hosting
    Web developer and designer
    SSL Certificate
    Bank Account
    Payment gateway
    Delivery Company

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

1. an ability to search this forum – this question gets asked all the time.
    2. the ability to tell us more. You say retail store, but everyone here assumes online, while a Bricks and Mortar store needs lots of other elements before even looking at online. Get a domain name once you know your name, but other than that online can wait.
    3. Professional advice. Not us 1/2 cup full experts (including me)
    4. Experience. You could share why a store, what industry, what experience etc. There may be some members here who do exactly the same in a different location.
    5. Most importantly – motivation/commitment/energy/self-belief (what I call the ‘hunger’

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

1. an ability to search this forum – this question gets asked all the time.
    2. the ability to tell us more. You say retail store, but everyone here assumes online, while a Bricks and Mortar store needs lots of other elements before even looking at online. Get a domain name once you know your name, but other than that online can wait.
    3. Professional advice. Not us 1/2 cup full experts (including me)
    4. Experience. You could share why a store, what industry, what experience etc. There may be some members here who do exactly the same in a different location.
    5. Most importantly – motivation/commitment/energy/self-belief (what I call the ‘hunger’

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.