Home – New Forums Face-to-face meetups & events What do you call yourself?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    wwwww
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi, I’ve been a lurker here for a while. I always find I have trouble when meeting new people and they ask what do I do? My business is quite well known within my industry (rare coins) so usually I just say, “I run …” but when talking to people outside of my industry I find it’s quite difficult to explain.

My business is very different from what’s normally associated with my industry and in many ways we’re more accurately described as an IT firm rather than a rare coin dealer so explaining it is usually met with confusion (and it takes a bit of time to explain too).

So basically, when people ask you what do you do, how do you answer? Do you just say you’re in management? Even when you might only have 1 or 2 employees?

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi there wwww,

That’s a great question, and I’m sure it will generate some very interesting conversation.

In the meantime, thanks for joining Flying Solo :)
    Jayne

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Hi there many w’s

I like the term Business Adviser for myself

I think though it has to be beyond that – What are the benefits that your service or product delivers? This is where the true elevator pitch begins!

Your pitch should entice conversation from the person you are speaking to, good luck working on it.

iWebDev
    • Total posts: 23
    Up

Hello there wwww,

It’s never fun when meeting someone for the first time and they take up most of time just explaining what they do for a living. They need to entice you to ask more to want to know more.

One of the jobs i have is a IT Development Manager for a legal software company. When i meet new people and they ask what i do if i tell them that it sounds kind of boring and doesn’t really explain what i do. I answer their question with “I help law firms help people” 99.9% of the time they then ask how do you do that? I can then follow up with my pitch about the software and how it helps law firm and what my roll is.

Think of some of the reason why your clients would come to you and what services you offer.

Thanks,
    Luke

wwwww
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    iWebDev, post: 186652 wrote:
    Hello there wwww,

It’s never fun when meeting someone for the first time and they take up most of time just explaining what they do for a living. They need to entice you to ask more to want to know more.

One of the jobs i have is a IT Development Manager for a legal software company. When i meet new people and they ask what i do if i tell them that it sounds kind of boring and doesn’t really explain what i do. I answer their question with “I help law firms help people” 99.9% of the time they then ask how do you do that? I can then follow up with my pitch about the software and how it helps law firm and what my roll is.

Think of some of the reason why your clients would come to you and what services you offer.

Thanks,
    Luke

I find there are so many reasons, our two biggest services (based on revenue) are a research website from which I could call myself anything from a researcher or historian to a publisher or IT developer and an auction website from which I could say anything from, I maintain a popular auction site to I help executors sell estates; But each of these things represents such a small aspect of my business that it doesn’t accurately describe my role or what my business does.

AmyL
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

I really struggled with this one initially – even just deciding what title to give myself! But that’s another story :)

When people ask me what I do I have come up with just one simple sentence. Obviously it doesn’t explain in great detail – but I think it gives enough away for them to want to know more.

As another poster mentioned it goes one step further than your actual position, you have to tell them what benefits you provide. And this should be done in the shortest time possible.

My sentence is:

“I help businesses to save money, increase customer loyalty and achieve their long term goals and objectives”.

Now I don’t know if it’s good or not. But it seems to work. People always want to know HOW – and then I launch into the rest.

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up

Hi wwww, I agree with all the above. Why not mindmap the answer. Get a piece of paper an draw a line down the middle. Write down all the things you do on one side and the benefits of that role on the other. Once it is all on paper, you can then rank them from one down. Then pick the first three and create an elevated pitch for each of them. Then you have three possible answer to give in whatever situation calls for.

Hope that helps….

martin.firth
    • Total posts: 259
    Up

In the industry, a person with my skill set (design, programming, marketing, business) is called a Unicorn, for our rarity :P

I prefer to go with Web Guru. Anything more specific might exclude one of our services, and I like the tongue-in-cheek gravitas that Guru implies. I avoid spouting my pitch to everyone I shake hands with.

MilaniJuiceBar
    • Total posts: 23
    Up

I run a juice bar, but when I introduce myself to people I tell them I create experiences – which lets me explain who each flavour is all about the experience and so forth.

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

My email signature says “Ideas Guru” I thought it was a bit more fun than just putting “Founder”

Yizzimindi
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

I call myself Yizzimindi. It’s just me, so I do all the things and I don’t outsource, so defining my role can be difficult. When I introduce myself as a business person, I say I make jewellery and accessories.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.