Home – New Forums Get productive What do you do when you’re overwhelmed?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    [Former] FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

Here’s a question to help Robert with some research for a presentation he’ll be giving soon:

What action helps you to cope when you’re feeling seriously overwhelmed?

Thanks! We’ll be interested in your comments.

Love your work,
    Jayne

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

It sounds corny, but I focus on one job at a time – get it done then move onto the next one.

Action makes me feel better.

A couple of days of this and things start looking manageable again.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

I go our local Ella Bache for a massage. I love the smell of the essential oils Bergamot and Lavender. Being forced to relax helps me step away, then when I return I feel more able to cope with the various tasks. I also find it allows my mind to think more creatively, or ideas come at that time. I see it as an occasional investment in my health and not as a luxury expense.

I have found it works better than a walk. But a walk works for some people.

Must diarise to do that more often. (Both).

Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up

I long ago learned to accept that I’m human and I have limitiations. If I’m up to my neck in stuff, I look for outsourcing options, ways of postponing things etc.

If that simply isn’t possible, I make sure I communicate effectively and tell those who might be disappointed that things aren’t going to plan.

After that, it’s just a case of starting at the beginning and working towards then end.

ABC
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

Take a deep breath – sometimes I count back from 100 till I can breathe again.

Tell yourself its under control then get it under control. List what you have to do – prioritise and if you have a tendency to procrastinate or finesse to death, set a time limit. You can always extend if needed but you know you have to get it done by then.

Chris Brodie
    • Total posts: 94
    Up

I often take 15 minutes to walk away from my desk to chat to my wife and 3 kids about anything other than work. They help put things in perspective.

Otherwise it’s acknowledging that I can only do so much in a day, having a “to do” list and prioritizing tasks.

Most nights I’m found destressing for 10 minutes or so playing computer games (Bloons Tower Defense 3). Prior to that it was WII Fitness. I also love to bake cookies/muffins at night which I find relaxing.

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up

Tidy my desk.

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

Remind myself that in the grand scheme of things, it’s all “small stuff” and then go for a walk or drive.

Calcul8or
    Participant
    • Total posts: 481
    Up

I wouldn’t be able to divert my attention from things that need doing. I’ve never found it helpful to try to walk away (even temporarily) from a situation, and would have to roll up my sleeves, make a list, prioritise, and get down to it.

I’m a “solver/fixer” by nature, and can’t rest (and actually enjoy not resting) when there is an outstanding issue that needs solving and/or fixing. I actually like being under pressure because it keeps my grey matter firing!

But rest/family time is just that, and while I am prepared to make allowances for extraordinary circumstances that force me to work late etc, I am loathe to allow anyone or anything disturb my life with my family.

Programmer. Analyst. Nerd. Calcul8ors.com.au Custom Software & Collaboration
    Brett N/Nerds Computer
    • Total posts: 76
    Up

Jayne,

I saw a great article on the E-Myth website about being overwhelmed a few weeks ago. If you have not already suggested that to Robert search for that on Google. If you still can’t find it, send me an email and I will find it for you.

Personally my strategies are:

1. Delegate current activities

2. Take time off

3. Re-prioritise

By doing these activities I am able to regenerate and be up and running to serve clients again quickly.

Cheers,

Brett

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.