Home – New Forums Marketing mastery What do you think of Cold Calling?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Breevree73
    • Total posts: 112
    Up
    ::

I’ve been doing some research and found there is absolutely no consensus whatsoever as to whether it’s useful or not so much.

Anyone had any success or otherwise with cold calling?

SamanthaE
    • Total posts: 235
    Up

Hi Bree,

We have had success with cold calling for our products.

We are a B2B. I also recommend to try and find out the name of the person that you wish to talk to, instead of just the position.

I have found that the most successful campaigns that we had were when we were looking for an appointment to discuss how we can help them, rather than go into a big conversation on the phone to sell them as such.

We try and keep the “interruption” to a minimum.

There will always be people who hate being cold called, but it really is a numbers game.

My belief with marketing is that you need to try and test every method and then continue with those that are bringing you the best ROI.

Love to hear if you decide to implement this strategy, so please let us know how you go if you go ahead with the campaign.

Good luck,
    Sam

themobilebillboardco
    • Total posts: 75
    Up

As Samantha said above – its a numbers game

And a BIG numbers game.

You’ll have to develop a thick skin and be prepared for every 50 calls you make, one potential customer might show a small amount of interest… and even then, it may not result in a sale.

I’m NOT a believe in cold calling.

I hate it personally and professionally.

The truth be told is that we live in a technological age and consumers are more savvy now than anything.

The internet has allowed us to discover what we want, when we want.

Cold Calling is a way of the past and has been completely used and abused by telemarketers that have ruined it for legitimate businesses that actually have good products to sell.

So Good Luck…. just don’t call me ;)

JR

Andrew Newman
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

Hi Bree

I second JR’s comment, “So Good Luck…. just don’t call me”.

I receive many cold calls each week and my policy is that I will never deal with a cold caller.

Kind Regards

raynor
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

I agree with Sam it does work, the problem is most try and make excuses as to why its so hard and it doesn’t work simply because they don’t want to do it.

Whilst its a numbers game, I think most forms of selling is just that. If your hit rate is 1 in 50 cold calling in person your rate of success is well below what I would consider to be acceptable..

With cold calling you have to take into consideration there will be ones you call on where the contact person is unavailable and these will require a followup visit or more often a phone call which can often result in a sale months after you made the initial call on the business.

I personally still believe cold calling to be very effective once you manage to talk to the decision make which is the difficult part. With what we do calling in person means we can see exactly what kind of service they have and then we can show and explain how superior our service is to what they have and make direct comparisons which is so much easier.

Love it or hate it I think cold calling is fantastic and it does work.

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

“Don’t call me.. I’ll call you.”

There is nothing I hate more than being interrupted during a productive work session (or when I’m trying to cook dinner) by someone trying to flog me something I’m not interested in.

If I’m in the market for a service or product, I WILL research and find out who can provide what I’m after. If your website is promising, I’ll give you a call.

And even if I was interested, the fact that you’ve assumed I have nothing better to do than wait by the phone to hear your sales pitch will ensure I’m putting up purchase barriers just because I’m ticked off.

Send me a DM or a flyer directing me to your site that I can look into further when I have the time (emails, not so good… I generally don’t follow links from unsolicited emails). If I’m interested, I’ll follow up.

But that’s just me.

And as far as my own marketing efforts, having a website, networking, and using social media and online marketing have all been far more effective in generating leads than cold-calling. Then again, given my disdain for the practice, I’m not surprised it hasn’t worked for me. Clearly it’s not the right fit.

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

Cold Calling is a way of the past and has been completely used and abused by telemarketers that have ruined it for legitimate businesses that actually have good products to sell.

I receive many cold calls each week and my policy is that I will never deal with a cold caller.

If I’m in the market for a service or product, I WILL research and find out who can provide what I’m after. If your website is promising, I’ll give you a call.

Fair enough, but how do you know about those products or services if they don’t tell you about them? It is entirely possible there are any number of products or services that would make your life easier, and surely by automatically taking the approach that it is a nuisance, you could be missing out on the opportunity.

The internet is great, but you can’t look up products if you don’t know that they exist.

I think the problem with cold calling is that everyone sees it as per the comment above that ‘….has been completely used and abused by telemarketers.” That is being part of a mass call out with a general message that is not particularly relevant to you.

Where I am, the cold calling I get is often by machine, or when I ask them if they speak English, they just hang up (several times a day).

But for me, cold calling is a lot more than just picking up the phone with a generic script, and with a task of making x number of calls to meet a target.

It is more about studying your prospect, doing your homework on how you perceive that they operate from various things that could be their website, any online details, their social media etc.

If I believe I have something to offer that may be of benefit, isn’t it then a worthwhile thing for me to offer the details of the product or service I have.

For me anyway, I am much more prepared to spend time with a cold caller if they give me an idea (pretty quickly) that they have done some homework to be able to say they can offer me some benefit.

And as someone who makes cold calls, I’d rather make 10 calls having identified a specific need of a prospect, rather than 100 generic calls.

The Copy Chick
    Up
    Johny, post: 166494 wrote:
    Fair enough, but how do you know about those products or services if they don’t tell you about them? It is entirely possible there are any number of products or services that would make your life easier, and surely by automatically taking the approach that it is a nuisance, you could be missing out on the opportunity.

The internet is great, but you can’t look up products if you don’t know that they exist.

As mentioned previously:

The Copy Chick, post: 166485 wrote:
    Send me a DM or a flyer directing me to your site that I can look into further when I have the time (emails, not so good… I generally don’t follow links from unsolicited emails). If I’m interested, I’ll follow up.

I’d rather get your information in a way that I can digest it and research it in my own time, on my own terms. I’ve switched phone and energy providers after receiving printed material – but had they called me, I would have cut them off before they got to the pitch.

Training-iBTIKAR
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    The Copy Chick, post: 166511 wrote:
    As mentioned previously:

I’d rather get your information in a way that I can digest it and research it in my own time, on my own terms. I’ve switched phone and energy providers after receiving printed material – but had they called me, I would have cut them off before they got to the pitch.

Back when I was a ‘wage slave’, I worked for many years in business development around the world. IMHO cold calling is a very useful tool, however it’s the ‘cold’ element that can be the problem. If cold calling is used intelligently, it is possible for it to be a very productive tool; but the key is the preparation on the telemarketer’s part. Many call centres just hand a list of numbers and tell there people to just keep up to, say, 50 calls a day. I would always try to research my prospect – with company websites especially, there’s no excuse. If you can have a conversation about the prospect’s business before going for the jugular, you can get rapport. Also I would go through the trade press and look for organisations with something new to promote (I was in conferences, expos and magazines). I appreciate the model works better in B2B, rather than B2C, but there are always ways to ‘warm up’ cold leads before that pitch! With cold calling less can really be more – fewer, but better quality, calls. Also you don’t squander good potential leads by just blitzing them.

raynor
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

Paul,

I have tried to contact Kim Thompson through email and my email was returned. Checked her website its disappeared. Just sent her a message from this site so will be interesting to see if this works.

Maybe she has been inundated with business as a result of your posting and disappeared!.

The Copy Chick
    Up
    Training-iBTIKAR, post: 166517 wrote:
    I appreciate the model works better in B2B, rather than B2C, but there are always ways to ‘warm up’ cold leads before that pitch!

One of the questions that has been asked here a few times in relation to cold calling is how to get past the ‘gatekeeper’ to have the conversation with the person you need to.

Having been a gatekeeper myself in earlier employment, I was under orders at most places I worked to only transfer approved callers. Bosses didn’t take kindly to sales calls being put through.

I’m sure any tips you have on how to warm up those cold calls to get past the gatekeeper would be appreciated by a few people.

Training-iBTIKAR
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    The Copy Chick, post: 166545 wrote:
    One of the questions that has been asked here a few times in relation to cold calling is how to get past the ‘gatekeeper’ to have the conversation with the person you need to.

Having been a gatekeeper myself in earlier employment, I was under orders at most places I worked to only transfer approved callers. Bosses didn’t take kindly to sales calls being put through.

I’m sure any tips you have on how to warm up those cold calls to get past the gatekeeper would be appreciated by a few people.

Well, it might sound basic, but I’d often make a pre-call and find out who I needed to speak to before the main call. This would enable me to often get the name, job title and even (sometimes) an email address.

I would always use a ruse (but not an outright lie!) about why I wanted to contact the person: ” I need to send a personal invitation to your…” was always a good one :)

So, when I sold expos, I would be extending invitations regarding the event concerned. I didn’t state the exact reason for the invite, just the need to address invitations personally. The invitation tactic also meant I could often get an email flyer in to the prospect to warm things up, pre the pitch call.

Maybe you have an introductory offer you could use here, and invite people to partake?

Even if you get no names and just a generic email to send a flyer in, it’s still better than nothing and sometimes it bore fruit.

If all went well on the first call, I would then be able to ask the gatekeeper on the second call (never on the same day!) for the prospect by name. If he/she demurred, I could, quite legitimately, say I was following up on a personal invitation. The word ‘personal’ can often work wonders in getting through to someone!

Another tactic would be to use (for those with nerves of steel) the good old silent close after asking for the prospect. You simply state – very clearly and authoritatively when asked – your name and where you’re from. Then there must be complete silence on the line. The psychology here is that whoever speaks first has ‘given in’. It can seem like forever, but you must resist saying anything!
    If you win, you will often be put through.

I can’t say the above tactics are infallible, but I can honestly say they have (and do) work for me :) I’m no guru, but I was in BD in several markets for over 25 years (still am with my own training business). I’d be delighted to hear from any fellow Soloists. Cheers!

The Copy Chick
    Up

Thanks for elaborating. Some interesting tactics there – I wonder if others have tried similar approaches.

Justin Laju
    • Total posts: 89
    Up
    Breevree73, post: 166219 wrote:
    I’ve been doing some research and found there is absolutely no consensus whatsoever as to whether it’s useful or not so much.

Anyone had any success or otherwise with cold calling?

Cold calling is 99% of our business. And we are going from strength to strength.

But, cold calling is just a name. It doesn’t need to be cold – it all depends on your approach and your vision, that is what drives it.

In my experience there is no better way to reach out with pin-point accuracy to your target market, narrow in further to those that are open to you, and generate new relationships.

It is very active, and works very well.

We only do business to business cold calling, which is very different to consumer calling – you are taken more seriously and professionally, and return on investment is far easier to track.

I’m not sure where you’ve been researching, but cold calling is hot!

bennyb
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

Ive done cold calling in the past and it’s worked ok.

I changed my approach by instead sending a direct mail piece to them and got them to call me instead .

That way I dont waste time on people who are not interested.

Try doing a Gary Halbert 1 dollar bill letter style piece. ( I’ve use dice as a mail grabber and its worked well)

I did a campaign where I sent 200 letters and got 45 responders in 3 days. Out of that I got 30 as clients.

So instead of calling 200… which would have taken a loooonnng time… i sent out the letters to do the work for me ;)

I can walk you through how I did it if you like. Let me know

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.