Home – New Forums Marketing mastery What does your email address say about you?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    ::

StuartB,

2 further questions:-

You state that people consider you more professional, just interested in the basis of this observation, do you have some stats on it.

Also I note that 80% of small business’s fail in the first 18 months of opening their doors, just wondering about the basis of this observation as well.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Stuart B,
    I received 300 spam emails over the weekend and many are from people with @gmail or @Hotmail, etc. accounts. I dump them unread into my email delete file ASAP.

I can’t think of the last time I received an email from a real @gmail or @Hotmail account.

I’m sorely tempted to set up auto email delete rules relegating all of them to my delete folder.

When I see people using 3rd party email addresses like these I’m inclined to assume they are:

• spammers
    • amateurs
    • businesses I’d be cautious to buy from.

Regs,
    JohnW

GuestMember
    • Total posts: 318
    Up

Understandable frustration but few people would dare to apply filters that strong or generalising, personal or email.

Roman K
    • Total posts: 44
    Up

Great advice, Stuart. Thanks for taking the time to put this video together. I found it useful

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up
    bb1, post: 223154, member: 53375 wrote:
    StuartB,

2 further questions:-

You state that people consider you more professional, just interested in the basis of this observation, do you have some stats on it.

Also I note that 80% of small business’s fail in the first 18 months of opening their doors, just wondering about the basis of this observation as well.

[USER=53375]@bb1[/USER] these are both well documented facts. Some simple googling will bring up many studies which prove both.

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    Stuart B, post: 223189, member: 10757 wrote:
    [USER=53375]@bb1[/USER] these are both well documented facts. Some simple googling will bring up many studies which prove both.

I cant seem to find either, and in particular your claim of 80% just does not stack up.

Of the 294,210 new business entries during the 2010-11 financial year:

• 76 per cent were still operating in June 2012
    • 59 per cent were still operating in June 2013
    • 50 per cent were still operating in June 2014.
      That doesn’t sound like a 80% failure rate in 18 months
    Gizmo
    • Total posts: 731
    Up

Its human instinct to “judge books by their covers”
    Its part of the flight or fight instinct.

Not matter what email address you have there will be people who do not like it.

So go with whats more accepted which to me sounds like one you can trust “at first glance” which would imply there is a proper business domain tied to it.

Stuart B
    Up

[USER=53375]@bb1[/USER] you might be looking at Australia-only stats, and in any case it’s not really relevant to this thread.

GuestMember
    • Total posts: 318
    Up

Okay, here’s some quick research I did on my LinkedIn account, which I’ll summarise here. Of 2743 contacts:
    619 Gmail,
    244 Hotmail
    133 Yahoo
    108 Bigpond
    82 Live
    32 Me.com
    Total 1218 of 2743 contacts.

Conclusion: at least 44% of my LinkedIn connections have a generic email address listed as their LinkedIn address (there will be more because I could only think of these service providers).

Full research with some additional thoughts and mention of variables I couldn’t easily account for:
    http://j.mp/1PI1R6R

alliedib
    • Total posts: 453
    Up
    Paul Peace, post: 223304, member: 54653 wrote:
    Conclusion: at least 44% of my LinkedIn connections have a generic email address listed as their LinkedIn address (there will be more because I could only think of these service providers).

Could have something to do with accessibility for Linkedin, rather than their actual business address? I would have thought a generic email address sticks with you, however a corporate address would change as your job does…

PS – On Linkedin I think I use my family domain email which routes to my work email address (just to make it a little more difficult)…

Stuart B
    Up

[USER=54653]@Paul Peace[/USER] that’s pretty cool! I wonder if that’s because most people use a personal email address rather than a business one?

JonTinkler
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Great work by Paul to put that together. I wonder if it might be skewed a little though, not sure what others do but I use my Gmail as a generic/catchall address for signing up to things like Linkedin/forums etc. and use my business/website address for directly business related stuff.

The reason is just so that I can very quickly filter things in Outlook/mobile by address, so that I immediately know what’s “look at now” and what’s “look at when you have time”. If it hits my business inbox then I know it’s likely to be a client communication, whereas if it’s my gmail then it could be spam/forum post/etc.

Just wondering if that accounts for a lot of those gmail’s, but I also think for people in the business community their personal address tends to stay the same while their business email can change regularly. My 2c :-)

bb1
    Participant
    Up

Just another observation, of the 6 spammy SEO offerings I received in the last 24 hours, all had customized email address’s does that make them more legit, I don’t think so

Stuart B
    Up
    bb1, post: 223322, member: 53375 wrote:
    Just another observation, of the 6 spammy SEO offerings I received in the last 24 hours, all had customized email address’s does that make them more legit, I don’t think so

No it doesn’t, but no doubt it would result in them attracting more clients. Thus proving the point of this thread.

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    Stuart B, post: 223596, member: 10757 wrote:
    No it doesn’t, but no doubt it would result in them attracting more clients. Thus proving the point of this thread.

Will it give them more clients, not sure it proves anything. Do you have some stats on that

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.