Home – New Forums Marketing mastery What does your email address say about you?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up
    ::

Hey all… I recently wrote an article on this topic on my blog and got some interesting responses from a few people, so I thought I’d open the discussion up on FS.

It’s interesting to see what different people choose to use for their email address… The spectrum seems to range from:

– Fairly normal emails like [email protected]
    – To kind of odd ones like [email protected]
    – Right through to [email protected]
    – Or even [email protected] – just an example, not someone’s real email (that I know of).

What I was exploring in the blog post was basically what customers can learn, or assume just from looking at your email address. In my opinion people who have their own website, but still use a hotmail / gmail / ISP email address are missing out on a big opportunity to express professionalism to potential customers.

In the event that you only give someone your contact email and not your web address, you even deny them the ability to explore your website because obviously your email is promoting hotmail rather than your website…

What does everyone else think? I still can’t get over how many business owners who have websites are still using a @hotmail (or similar) email address for their work email…

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

Totally agree. I’m always telling my clients they need to use their own domain for their email address and also VAs who join my network.

I could say the same about usernames for forums too ;) in that they can be a way for people to find out where you’ve been – your internet footprint as such.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

I totally agree with you that it looks more professional to have email through your own domain. I’d like to add that there are also many instances of people using pop from their ISP like [email protected] or [email protected]

Not wanting to start a debate on consumer perception my personal opinion is sometimes perceived size does matter.

Steve

Stuart B
    Up
    kathiemt, post: 133698 wrote:
    I could say the same about usernames for forums too ;) in that they can be a way for people to find out where you’ve been – your internet footprint as such.

Lol I was actually wondering the other day if there’s a way to change your username/id on FS? Is it possible??? :rolleyes:

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    LemonChip, post: 133700 wrote:
    Lol I was actually wondering the other day if there’s a way to change your username/id on FS? Is it possible??? :rolleyes:If you ask nicely I am sure they will let you.

And I would love to see a pic of you as well :)

Stuart B
    Up

Super creepy 😮

Kidding.

kathiemt
    Up
    LemonChip, post: 133700 wrote:
    Lol I was actually wondering the other day if there’s a way to change your username/id on FS? Is it possible??? :rolleyes:

Why do you want to change yours? Isn’t that the same username you use at Twitter and elsewhere?

Stuart B
    Up

Yeah it is, I just thought it might be good to be a little more descriptive… i.e. LemonChip Web Design…

apj
    • Total posts: 31
    Up

I’m curious as to what people think about the first page of an email address before the @

I’ve had them all – initials, first initial surname, first name last initial, first name only (my favourite right now), and various derivatives when those were unavailable for some reason.

For me, using first [email protected] feels a little more personal and approachable than say an initial and then your surname.

kathiemt
    Up

I use firstname@ and always have done. For clients it’s usually a position/role that I use, rather than my name, when acting on their behalf.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    LemonChip, post: 133705 wrote:
    Super creepy 😮

Kidding.haha.

I kinda like seeing the face if the person I am chatting to.

Nice pic!

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

I don’t take anyone seriously who uses hotmail, yahoo or gmail when wanting to do business.

The days are long gone when cost was a consideration for getting a domain name( remember when hosts charged per email address!) and nowadays the tools on most hosting accounts to allow masking even if people want to use gmail etc as their own interface makes it sooo easy.

To me a free hosting email account is 110% unprofessional.

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

I use firstname[at]companyname for most of my emails, but also have admin, sales and media as well, and use them when appropriate.

@LemonChip…glad you put up your pic…I always thought you were a female for some reason lol – sorry 😮

Wendy :)

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

I just use my full name with my Gmail account.

Nikita
    • Total posts: 120
    Up
    tonyk, post: 133738 wrote:
    I just use my full name with my Gmail account.

And I use my full name with my Yahoo account. It looks like no one cares much what email you use as long as you are producing the quality work they are after. It might be useful to use info [at] mydomain.com.au or myname [at] mydomain.com.au for the initial client setup, however moving forward it doesn’t really matter.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.