Home – New Forums Get productive What does your PA/VA do for you?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    shykingi
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

I run an IT business with my husband, he’s the tech and I’m the admin person.

Our business has grown EXPONENTIALLY in the last 5 months, so much so that I am now unable to keep up with all the admin tasks.

With this in mind, we have decided to get an admin or PA person in to help us out, but we wouldn’t know what to delegate?!

For those out there that are assistants for small businesses, what are the common tasks that you do?

For other small businesses out there, what do you delegate to your admin/PA? (And is there a difference between an Admin assistant and a PA???).

Thanks in advance,
    Shy

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

A lot will depend on what can be delegated out in a job lot that you don’t have to be involved in on a day to day basis, and jobs that you would trust to be farmed out to someone.

I outsourced my bookkeeping a few years ago, and when I took it to the accountant at the end of the year, it was done so badly that I had to redo most of it myself, so I took it back in again. Since then the number of my clients who I have spoken to (mostly small business), who have had the same experience, and have taken on their own book keeping again is surprising.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi And Welcome to Flying Solo Shy. It is great to have you!

Thanks for joining and posting today.

A PA is a Personal Assistant and is considered a higher position than an Admin Assistant.

Outsource any task that is process driven and repeats often – some accounting tasks come to mind as do marketing tasks.

Julia Sta Romana
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

You can basically outsource most admin tasks to a virtual assistant. But a great thing you can outsource quickly is appointment setting/calendar management. It’s one of the tasks I recommend that you outsource first. Having someone to help organize your schedule for you and your business would give you the time you need to go through the admin work you’re already doing to figure out what else you can outsource.

Quotenamic
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

My VA does pretty much everything apart from the aspects of the business that absolutely require my involvement:

• She takes 100% of all my inbound phone calls, filters out the time wasters, takes care of most enquiries directly herself and very occasionally (2-3 times a week) I might need to call someone back.
    • She does all our books.
    • Manages the calendars of both myself and my business partner.
    • She keeps everyone on track.

This leaves the executive team completely free to focus on what we do best which is growing the enterprise.

glipschitz
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

Our VA’s do the following;

• Prepare Orders for Customers
    • Prepare Quotes for Customers
    • Follow Up Orders & Quotes
    • Place orders with suppliers
    • Prepare reports
    • Transcribe Voicemails to Email
    • Write processes
    • Enter invoices in to Xero
    • Reply to emails

There’s nothing they can’t do, you just need to invest the time in to processes.
    We have over 300 processes in our business, so there’s no reason they can’t tackle any task :)

Cheers
    Greg

daniel.spark
    • Total posts: 16
    Up
    glipschitz, post: 253506, member: 101676 wrote:
    We have over 300 processes in our business

That’s impressive, processes are so difficult to nail but when you get it right everyone is on the same page. Staff can come and go, or help each other when things get busy.

Creating effective process is probably one of the best things you can do for a growing business, especially if you plan to scale.

glipschitz
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

Processes is a mindset.
    Ask yourself if you ever want to do something again. Then, write down all the steps on how you do that task and then you’ll never have to do it again.

I probably write about 5 a week still.
    Today I did one on how to reset a password for a specific online application, how to use a flow diagram tool, how to use the template….. so it’s really about making sure that if you want to remove yourself from the task, then you have to write it down.

:)

Cheers!
    Greg

Rajiv-BareInc
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

My EA does the following activities so I can play to my strengths:

– calendar management including organising ongoing appointments with clients
    – expense management and receipting through xero
    – market research
    – designs surveys
    – competitor analysis
    – blog research
    – organising small functions and events
    – any logistics and operations
    – proofreading
    – developing presentations

I also love that she is based in Melbourne and we meet up weekly face to face. I had tried outsourcing some menial tasks to overseas VA and it just did not work for me. Highly recommend Vicki from Silent Keyboard.

TaskQuick
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Depending on what you need to outsource, you may or may not need a dedicated Virtual Assistants. If you only want to use ad-hoc services, we have a platform to take care of the odd jobs via the TaskQuick platform. It’s a marketplace for Australian-based Virtual Assistants that works on a pay-per-task basis. It’s generally pitched to the general public for more general tasks like [Mod Edit To Remove Overly Promotional Links] but you can also use it for the tasks fit the criteria.

There is a trial available once you log in if you wanted to give it a go.

Sonja Meyer
    • Total posts: 50
    Up

I’ve been running a sustainable graphic design business solo for the past 7 years. My business has been continually growing to the point where I was finding that some days I’d be spending more than half of my time on admin tasks. I’ve recently hired my partner (who has experience as a Law Clerk/PA) to take care of pretty much anything that isn’t design related which has been a big help.

She takes care of:
    – Quoting and invoicing (Billings Pro)
    – Business expense management
    – Client outreach
    – Marketing and promotion of the business across all social media platforms
    – Answering basic email enquiries from potential or current clients
    – Helping with calendar management (this is still largely my role but she reminds me of things I need to fit into my week)
    – Blog research and writing posts on relevant topics (eg: sustainability; digital nomad life, etc.)
    – As we take on bigger jobs and continue to outsource some more of our design work, she will help project manage to make sure all relevant parties are briefed and project deadlines are met.
    – Personal daily tasks

So in my case there is no distinction between the two… in fact she’s writing this for me right now ;)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.