Home – New Forums Tech talk What email program to use?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    BrisVegasGhost
    • Total posts: 49
    Up
    ::

My trusty old Lenovo has been slowing down of late so I have purchased a new laptop.
    I am currently transferring required files across before it completely dies.
    I have been using Microsoft outlook on this for the past 4 years.

Does anyone have any suggestions on email programs? I do want to link about 4 emails to the program. It will only be for low to moderate use by myself.
    I have seen a few, Mozilla Thunderbird, Opera, Mailbird, Windows Live mail..

I have no problem with Outlook but was interested in others thoughts.
    If sticking with outlook I would have to get the program to my new laptop? And is there a way to save your current emails and contacts or transfer them.
    Yep, I am no good at this tech side of things.
    Cheers,
    BVG

Anthony Michaud
    • Total posts: 66
    Up

It depends on what other programs you use and what your email source is. If you’re using a CRM product, MYOB or something locally that integrates into Outlook to send/examine email, you’ll probably have to keep using it.

With regards to the source – if you’re using Gmail for your email source, web or Thunderbird are the better options. If you’re using 365/Exchange email, you almost have to use Outlook.

It also depends on how technologically savvy you are – if you’re easily able to adapt to a new program, and pickup the shortcuts / icon location / etc. quickly, then you should be OK to change. If you’re a little slower, and it will impact you significantly with using a new program, then you have additional weight to stick with Outlook.

gingerbeardhs
    • Total posts: 90
    Up

I actually use Gmail as my email platform. I am able to add outside accounts to it from my own hosting. I also like how it works as an app. If I’m away from my desk at home, I can also log into it anywhere via the web.

The only drawback I see is that it has an adaptive server checking algorithm. This means that if you get emails sporadically, it might check only every hour. If you get emails more regularly than that, it decreases the time between fetches.

paul_webupwd
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    gingerbeardhs, post: 242619, member: 84763 wrote:
    The only drawback I see is that it has an adaptive server checking algorithm. This means that if you get emails sporadically, it might check only every hour. If you get emails more regularly than that, it decreases the time between fetches.

I do the same as you. But you can force Gmail to check immediately. If you go into setting & accounts you can check for new mail at each sources at the click of a button. Always helpful when someone says ‘ I just sent you… etc’

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    Up

I use Outlook for my front end (To view the emails) and I have about 5 different email addresses coming into my Outlook, so I simply go to the relevant Inbox and send and receive as normal.

For my back end I have a variety, Gmail for my personal email, SmarterMail for one company as the Exchange, and Microsoft Exchange for my new company, and a couple of basic cPanel email accounts. ALL of them run through my single Outlook program so I never go to those actual sites.

When I changed over to my new laptop, I copied my Outlook file AND my Auto-Complete file. This was really important to me as I used auto-complete when I am sending emails. IE start entering a name and it pops down a list of email address.

Follow the instructions below, it is super easy:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Import-or-copy-the-Auto-Complete-List-to-another-computer-83558574-20dc-4c94-a531-25a42ec8e8f0

PRO
    • Total posts: 450
    Up

Office 365 – Outlook exchange online plus 5 windows installs and 5 mobile device installs of all the latest office software for $13.5 per month.

adam_m
    • Total posts: 114
    Up

I use Zimbra Desktop

MCoWebsiteDesign
    • Total posts: 23
    Up

Gmail as explained above…very very good

Simon at SEOm
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

I fourth the Gmail in a browser option. That’s what I use for 5 email addresses. Easy to use, great search functionality and you never have to worry about not having access to your emails across different devices.

heftzwecke
    • Total posts: 213
    Up

I am a dinosaur and use Thunderbird

katinns
    Participant
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

I’ve used Outlook for years now and each time I use a different client, I end up going back to Outlook. Windows Mail is not bad, Apple Mail is pretty good but even though it’s sometimes clunky slow and unstable it’s still got the best functionality.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

For one business I use outlook, the other Emclient.

But outlook wins hands down for me, I have tried a few over the time, but keep coming back. Most others are a copy of outlooks functionality, with shortcomings. IMHO

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi BVG,

If your familiar with using outlook stick to it. Yes you can transfer the program and the email files from the old laptop to the new.

Best of luck,

Steve

ninjodo
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi BVG

I’d highly recommend making sure you are using a cloud provider for your email.

EG Google Apps (now called G-Suite)
    https://gsuite.google.com/together/

You can still access through something like Thunderbird if you prefer, but I find the Gmail interface has everything a small business owner needs. You can add as many accounts as you need, with different signatures for each and still using your professional domain name, eg [email protected]

The beauty with this is you can also access all of this from your phone or tablet when you’re on those devices.

They do make it very easy to set up yourself and often your hosting provider will assist in any bits that aren’t clear.

Kind regards
    Simon

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.