Home – New Forums Tech talk What is e-commerce mean to you?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Brent@Ontrax
    • Total posts: 336
    Up
    ::

I recently did a presentation on “What impact e-commerce has in today’s society” and I was quite amazed at how many people, in the audience, believed that e-commerce is ONLY the process of buying and selling via the internet and not realising that e-commerce is A LOT bigger than that.

So I thought I would ask the question on here…

What does e-commerce mean to you?
    Do you believe it is just the Internet shopper/store experience?

This is not for Market Research.

Brent

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

I made the quick assumption that Ecommerce is online selling, but it’s obviously a lot more when I thought about it.

My estimating work is a case in point, up until fairly recently a principal contractor tendering a job would have to print and post at least 3 sets of documents (10 to 200 drawings, plus contracts and specifications) for every trade on a project and post them out. Considering they would be tendering several jobs at any one time and only winning a low percentage, this is a substantial cost (let alone the forests that get pulped to do it).

At my end, it meant a trip to a clients office, or the PO to pick up. Then manage the physical drawings (they’re big), often with several open jobs at once, then store the damn things indefinitely (often months before a project is fully let).

In a short space of time these businesses have woken to the digital opportunities, 99% are now distributed via Cloud storage.

I now measure off a screen, no longer need a large rented space, and walk three metres to work. I rarely go near a client and my car doesn’t move for day’s at a time.

But here’s the punchline … I can still charge the same money for doing it.

Even the basic day to day stuff has changed, I invoice and bank online and for the first time in forty years I don’t have a cheque book. I no longer own a printer or a fax and run an almost paper free office.

I see every communication and business transaction online as Ecommerce … I actually can’t think of anything business wise I don’t do online.

Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up

As Brent said, we typically think of B2C (Business to comsumer) as e-commerce, but an enormous amount of resources (time and money) are spent on B2B (Business to business).

Without this, the modern world would cease to function very quickly.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.