Home – New Forums Get productive What Is In Your Office?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    FionaFell
    • Total posts: 342
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I am in the process of moving house, and have the wonderful priviledge (or curse) of redesigning my home office work space.

I have a space assigned that will no doubt end up containing a bunch of things I need, and some that I don’t. But want I want to know is:

WHAT IS IN YOUR OFFICE?

I have hoping to pick your brains in the hope that I don’t miss out on any important items or storage tips.

Please help…

Jules
    • Total posts: 13
    Up
    FionaFell, post: 17212 wrote:
    Hi,

I am in the process of moving house, and have the wonderful priviledge (or curse) of redesigning my home office work space.

I have a space assigned that will no doubt end up containing a bunch of things I need, and some that I don’t. But want I want to know is:

WHAT IS IN YOUR OFFICE?

I have hoping to pick your brains in the hope that I don’t miss out on any important items or storage tips.

Please help…

Hi Fiona,

I’ve kept mine really really simple – I HATE CLUTTER! So – desk with drawers, magazine holders for working docs, filing cabinet (a nice funky one) for storage, in-tray, printer/scanner etc… and that’s about it. I find the less stuff I have the tidier it is and to be honest, that’s about all I really need anyway!

Good luck with the move :)

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Hi, I’m currently refurbishing my own home office. Everything is streamlined with built-in surround wall desks being built, filing cabinets under desks and overhead pigeon hole storage for folders or just display and closed cupboards. My aim is to be as uncluttered as possible as it makes me feel good about being in there. I also have a beautiful white leadlight door that leads into the office so that when it is closed it is something beautiful to see from both sides. The room is full of light. All furniture fittings (to be installed in the next couple of weeks) are in white with silver supports. Can’t wait. All walls are white with one wall as a feature wall in a beautiful light green with same green trims around walls and inset on door. Floor is a deep blue commercial carpet with colour flecks. My black desk chair is actually a very nice bar chair but it’s comfortable and supports my back. I also have a black stool on wheels for moving around the room quickly or if someone needs to sit near me to view the computers. Our black and white cat approves (although his way of ‘helping in the studio’ is accompanied by many meows), so that’s probably the best praise I’ll get! :)

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

OK OK I have two. One in the main part of the villa, where I can look out of the front window to see what the world out side is like. Simple desk with draws bottom draw filing. Hutch on the desk for printer and speakers
    and under the hutch is computer screen and reference books like Flying solo, Druker etc.

The second office is in the garage with all my machines and equipment.
    Laptop, comfortable swivel chair filing cabinet and book shelves with heeps of reference books trade magazines files with different training information and a bar fridge stocked with Chardoney. This my retreat, summer heat or grandkids.( and sometimes ‘shewhomustbe’)

Villas dont have that much space.

FionaFell
    Up

Thanks so much for everyones input so far.

I am trying to find some inovative ways to get the printer and scanner off the desk and out of sight. (Any ideas?) All in an attempt to ‘clear the clutter’ of both my desk and my mind

DanR
    • Total posts: 79
    Up

I also like a clean work environment….

I was working out of home of about 7 years but have now moved into office space… 60 square metres. I just found working out of home was limiting my business in terms of growth…. was literally impossible to have staff for example. I tried but them working from home was a nightmare…. there’s not enough communication, you can’t keep an eye on them etc… that was one issue. Other issues include physical space, a physical presence, meeting place, professional touch, phone system etc..

We have been in the new office now about 5 months and it has made a huge difference and given us a much more improved image.

Check out info and pics at http://www.modyourcar.com.au/the-modyourcar-office

LeelaCosgrove
    • Total posts: 634
    Up

Depending on whether you’re renting or own – I would totally have this:

http://www.ideapaint.com/site/ideapaint_home.html

Mmmmmm ….

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Fiona, re the printer/scanner … I have a little annexe studio/hub room adjacent to my main office area so I suppose I have more room than you. But I had cabling for ethernet connected from the office into that adjacent room so that the various printers, scanners, guillotine, paint materials and fax are all in the separate hub room away from me. It makes it so much easier to de-clutter that way. Another alternative would be to build a pull out open drawer under your desk areas where there was still adequate air circulation around the printer and scanner but you could pull out the drawer when you are accessing them. The drawer could be fixed or a mobile unit on wheels.

I was also discussing with a business colleague/friend this morning over coffee how important it was to declutter in order for the mind to be clear and open to solutions and creative ideas. We both believe it a good thing to do.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

how important it was to declutter in order for the mind to be clear and open to solutions and creative ideas.

Thank you ladies , now I see where Ive been going wrong all my life

ps I can print from the laptop in the garage without any wires, its wireless

FionaFell
    Up

Thanks everyone.

KarenC: I think I might have a chant with the cabinet/kitchen folks about the prospect of the ‘pull out/hide away’ drawer.

Sounds like a really life saver.

I don’t print often, but when I do I need it to be close by.

And also thinking of a ‘pencil’ [very thin] drawer to hide away my anticipated wireless keyboard and mouse when I am not using them.

Any other ideas and always welcomed.

Jill
    • Total posts: 102
    Up

Hi Fiona,
    I didnt want printers on my desk either, so I went for a nice L shape desk, and behind me (out of my site) along a wall is a 4 door office cupboard (I cant remember what they are called, but an office cupboard with a bench top at desk height). That cupboard is full of the usual office stuff, and a couple of printers neatly on top that. Thankfully the cables were long, (or I may have got longer cables for one of them), but out of my site and off my desk.

Of course, you need plenty of room under your desk for a massive subwoofer :)

peppie
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

I have to admit to having a bit of a chuckle over this thread, not so much because of anything said but more thinking of my situation.

If you were to look at my web site and try to picture my working environment you might get the idea. Even more so when i say that I am surrounded by computers, scanners, printers (one is a large wide format high quality photo printer), film/video/photo/sound recorders/reproduction/capture equipment and all this is presently neatly compacted into about 30 sq m. I can see the day when 3 or 4 times that would be very useful.

What works for me though is that I have separated work into different “stations” where I can have a project running and leave all the paperwork etc. just where I need it. Then wherever I am at work I can keep an eye on other things happening since often a computer needs to be left to do its own thing (otherwise known as rendering).

I spend a lot of time making sure everything is set up to run easily and smoothly. I have plenty of bench and shelf space and that helps greatly to keep track of different tasks and where I am up to. This is the way I like to work, but it does definitely make for a better end result and I might add less stress.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.