Home – New Forums Selling online What is the best way to get sales through my website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    T j Turner
    • Total posts: 240
    Up
    ::

I make and sell a variety of soaps, natural bath salts, beauty products,etc and was just wondering what is the best way to get sales through my website instead of on my business Facebook page. The website has only been up and running since January 2013

Tanja

Ozzcouple
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    T j Turner, post: 158890 wrote:
    I make and sell a variety of soaps, natural bath salts, beauty products,etc and was just wondering what is the best way to get sales through my website instead of on my business Facebook page. The website has only been up and running since January 2013

Tanja

Hi Tanja

You could try offering deals or discounts on your website and put the link to your website on Facebook with the ad telling them about the deals. That way they if they are interested they will go to your web site to purchase the deal.

Also try promoting your ads on FB can cost as little as $5 or $10 if you wish but make it a short tempting ad with your web page link. Both options should help drive traffic to your website.
    Having a secure payment website is also a must and if people don’t trust your website site doesn’t matter how good a product you have it wont sell.

Good Luck ..
    Ozzcouple..

T j Turner
    Up
    Ozzcouple, post: 158891 wrote:
    Hi Tanja

You could try offering deals or discounts on your website and put the link to your website on Facebook with the ad telling them about the deals. That way they if they are interested they will go to your web site to purchase the deal.

Also try promoting your ads on FB can cost as little as $5 or $10 if you wish but make it a short tempting ad with your web page link. Both options should help drive traffic to your website.
    Having a secure payment website is also a must and if people don’t trust your website site doesn’t matter how good a product you have it wont sell.

Good Luck ..
    Ozzcouple..

I do something like that now on my Facebook page. I also do a newsletter that comes out every 2 months and now going to send it out monthly. I also have a blog where I update new products, etc

I get lots of people checking my website out but no one is buying and sometimes wonder if it was better for me to keep it as a hobby instead of a business but I love doing what I do and maybe one day I will get some sales on the website instead of through Facebook

Ozzcouple
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    T j Turner, post: 158893 wrote:
    I do something like that now on my Facebook page. I also do a newsletter that comes out every 2 months and now going to send it out monthly. I also have a blog where I update new products, etc

I get lots of people checking my website out but no one is buying and sometimes wonder if it was better for me to keep it as a hobby instead of a business but I love doing what I do and maybe one day I will get some sales on the website instead of through Facebook

Ok the next step would be to ask for feedback from your customers as to why they buy only from FB and not your website. It could be that you website is not set up right for mobile & tablet so people cant buy on the website with there mobile phone or tablet but can do on FB. That could be one reason but doesn’t answer it all.
    We have a similar issue with people buying items in eBay and paying more for them (plus waiting until auction finishes) than they could have brought from our website which has same day postage and free postage for orders over $50..
    We have ask the question but we get silly feedback saying things like didn’t see the link to your website ????

Then have some people buy items from our site and then the same person buy a similar item on eBay for more money ??? Still waiting on her reply this week..

We only use FB for advertising and promo’s have not tried to sell from FB.

I would have to say it is a trust thing (that’s what I think 95% is) in that people believe sites like FB & eBay have been around for some time and therefore less likely of them being a risk when purchasing online.

Cheers Ozzcouple

Rachel@TheKidsAreAllRight
    • Total posts: 40
    Up

Tanja, when I go to your site I guess I’d like to see a beautiful image on the home page that convinces me of what you are selling. It could be a product image or a woman’s shoulder, mum holding baby – lots of beautiful skin etc – something that inspires me to buy your product. Probably a cliche but the skincare brands use those images for a reason. You can buy images fairly cheaply through http://www.istockphoto.com

I think your product photography could be improved – I know it is hard when you don’t have a budget and if photography is not your thing. Do you have a friend who could take shots for you in exchange for some product?

And there are lots of empty categories – can you remove them when there is nothing in them, so the “shop” doesn’t look half empty? I would suggest you don’t need to make public how many units in stock. But, do you make stock according to the order? So if someone wanted scrub would you make it? If you make it to order you should have an example in each category.

I think you can push the “hand made” aspect more – especially if you make to order, and say that you do this to keep the ingredients as fresh as possible etc (if there is indeed truth in that).

I think the ingredients of the products read really well – you could explain more about why these ingredients are safe for all skins, even sensitive and psoriasis.

These are just a few things I observed. Good luck!

T j Turner
    Up
    Rachel@TheKidsAreAllRight, post: 158896 wrote:
    Tanja, when I go to your site I guess I’d like to see a beautiful image on the home page that convinces me of what you are selling. It could be a product image or a woman’s shoulder, mum holding baby – lots of beautiful skin etc – something that inspires me to buy your product. Probably a cliche but the skincare brands use those images for a reason. You can buy images fairly cheaply through http://www.istockphoto.com

I think your product photography could be improved – I know it is hard when you don’t have a budget and if photography is not your thing. Do you have a friend who could take shots for you in exchange for some product?

And there are lots of empty categories – can you remove them when there is nothing in them, so the “shop” doesn’t look half empty? I would suggest you don’t need to make public how many units in stock. But, do you make stock according to the order? So if someone wanted scrub would you make it? If you make it to order you should have an example in each category.

I think you can push the “hand made” aspect more – especially if you make to order, and say that you do this to keep the ingredients as fresh as possible etc (if there is indeed truth in that).

I think the ingredients of the products read really well – you could explain more about why these ingredients are safe for all skins, even sensitive and psoriasis.

These are just a few things I observed. Good luck!

I do make products to order and I also do bulk orders for my wedding soaps. Some items I already have instock but if a customer wants something in a certain scent I will do that for them. I am thinking of adding on my main page that all products are made to order.

I will look at that link you gave me to find a lovely picture to put on my main page. I do have a picture of one of my wedding soaps.

I tend to do everything myself as I have no one to help me with my business

Tanja

lilly
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

I have to agree with Rachel,

I don’t want to be harsh but your website looks a bit on the cheap side. Your product photography is way too small and out of focus and you really don’t need to add copy right to your images with watermarks. If you look at any well respected, well designed website they do not do this and their photographs are spot on professionally shot. They hide copyright details etc in the meta data.

Also the request to become a member is not a click and buy friendly option maybe this another reason for the lack of sales on the website.

I think it’s fine to be new and starting out making from home just don’t look like you are;) Clean the website, make your photographs amazing,simplify and make it easy to buy.

Hope this helps.

Lilly

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    T j Turner, post: 158890 wrote:

Tanja

Hello Tanja,

Rachel and Lilly have already said it and I have to agree the site is just not appealing. You really need better product content.

There is a section on Flying Solo forums for community reviews and I would suggest that you go post your site there. Getting people to the site is not you first issue. You need to go talk to a designer as there is a lot that needs work.

There are links like the currency (only AUD$ there) that needs to go. Your top navigation seems strange.

There is a “connect” link for Facebook and Google+ under the top nave that is invisible unless you happen to find it.

No home page products, too much text and lots of white space.

The image on the homepage links to Photobucket.

Looks like you force people to register, you will drop customers right there.

No SSL certificate so a basic trust issue.

You have flat rate shipping at $15 yet the product I selected would cost around $8 to ship with Aust Post. You need a postal calculator.

On a mobile it needs some real work. Try Flying Solo Community Review – http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/community-reviews/.

John

T j Turner
    Up
    John Debrincat, post: 158900 wrote:
    Hello Tanja,

Rachel and Lilly have already said it and I have to agree the site is just not appealing. You really need better product content.

There is a section on Flying Solo forums for community reviews and I would suggest that you go post your site there. Getting people to the site is not you first issue. You need to go talk to a designer as there is a lot that needs work.

There are links like the currency (only AUD$ there) that needs to go. Your top navigation seems strange.

There is a “connect” link for Facebook and Google+ under the top nave that is invisible unless you happen to find it.

No home page products, too much text and lots of white space.

The image on the homepage links to Photobucket.

Looks like you force people to register, you will drop customers right there.

No SSL certificate so a basic trust issue.

You have flat rate shipping at $15 yet the product I selected would cost around $8 to ship with Aust Post. You need a postal calculator.

On a mobile it needs some real work. Try Flying Solo Community Review – http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/community-reviews/.

John

Some of my products can be sent cheaper even with registered post and some items are sent in a 3kg bag as it depends on the weight at the post office as I had one customer it cost $13 including registered post to send their items to them and they were in the same state as I am

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    T j Turner, post: 158903 wrote:
    Some of my products can be sent cheaper even with registered post and some items are sent in a 3kg bag as it depends on the weight at the post office as I had one customer it cost $13 including registered post to send their items to them and they were in the same state as I am

Shipping is the single biggest reason people will abandon the cart and go elsewhere. I selected a couple of products that I know weight around 500g. Postal to Sydney from Elizabeth North is $8.25. People will pay extra for shipping if they get something extra for it but in this case they won’t. Online shoppers are pretty savvey and know how much shipping costs so they want exact cost or free if they can get it.

John

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

Use FB as you would any external source, and drive that traffic back to your site.

Handle the sales there.

simonw
    • Total posts: 60
    Up

I have had a look at your site. You say that you are getting traffic, but my guess is they are not staying for very long, if you have Google Analytics, have a look at your bounce rate to see if I am right. Here are a couple of suggestions that may help people stay a little longer:

– Images. You need to catch visitors eyes in a few seconds with great pictures of your products. A slider at the top would be perfect. I also don’t think you need to have the copywright info overthe pictures, seeing as you make the products yourself and they have your logo on them, you don’t really need to worry about them being stolen.

– Categories – you have too many. You could easily compress what you have down to 6-8 categories. Get rid of the gift cards etc. This will make it far less daunting to navigate.

– Fill the blank spaces in your header with trust information, show people how they can pay and what shipping is going to cost them

– Colour. I am not a fan of the pink background, it adds to the ‘cheap’ feel of the site… but then again i a not your target market, so I couldbe very wrong. Ask someone who is

I have never used Zen Cart, but I assume these changes will be easy enough to make without spending a cent. Having your site professionally re-designed will help but you should be able to make some changes yourself that make a big difference. Once you know what works and have built up a bit of momentum, you should really look athaving a custom site built.

jeremyjag
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

I had a look through your website and it is very confusing and has way too much info crammed in there for starters.

The best way to get visitors to your site is MARKETING, MARKETING and MORE MARKETING. This does cost money but if done correctly and targeting your perfect customers, will produce very good results. Then the way to get customers buying is to have a well laid out site that attracts people to stay and look through it.

I didnt see any blog post/updates or news sections or an easy way for people to subscribe to an newsletter nor did I manage to find any product review videos…

People want to be engaged when on a website and this doesn’t do anything for me…

If you want help let me know.

Cheers

Jeremy

INNONET
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

Hello Tanja

Promote your business to your target market . How?

1. Wear name of your website on your heart. (T -Shirt).
    2. Write Website name on your sides and back of the Car.
    3. Toot your horn in radio give interview on radio.
    4. Appoint PR executive and ask him to write a press release and distribute it to press.
    5. Put some of your products in Ebay and seek interest and review.

Goal is to tell people that you are there and then offer some give away (discount tc) and

Last and Most Effective, Commit to SEO and SEM Packages.

Regards
    Pardeep Sharma
    http://www.innonet.com.au (YES WE MAKE SOFTWARE TO MAKE MONEY)
    http://www.myistore.com.au (WE ALSO DO ECOMMERCE TO MAKE MONEY)

T j Turner
    Up
    INNONET, post: 159886 wrote:
    Hello Tanja

Promote your business to your target market . How?

1. Wear name of your website on your heart. (T -Shirt).
    2. Write Website name on your sides and back of the Car.
    3. Toot your horn in radio give interview on radio.
    4. Appoint PR executive and ask him to write a press release and distribute it to press.
    5. Put some of your products in Ebay and seek interest and review.

Goal is to tell people that you are there and then offer some give away (discount tc) and

Last and Most Effective, Commit to SEO and SEM Packages.

Regards
    Pardeep Sharma
    http://www.innonet.com.au (YES WE MAKE SOFTWARE TO MAKE MONEY)
    http://www.myistore.com.au (WE ALSO DO ECOMMERCE TO MAKE MONEY)

Thanks for that Pardeep Sharma

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.