Home – New Forums Tech talk What is this panda thing? SEO

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    HappyCamper
    • Total posts: 42
    Up
    ::

In a nutshell- I think my website took a hit on 25 January 2013. Big drop in traffic, and the guys I use for SEO don’t seem to have an answer. So I spent heaps of time on the weekend trying to get to the bottom of it and found that there are a PANDA update 25 around the 25 Jan.

There is so much information about these updates and that they do affect your website- but I can’t find some simple steps for what you need to do to fix it!

I don’t have any crazy linking that would have downgraded me, I put lots of content on and have new products changing in and out.

I’ve been running this website for 6 years and have always been on page 1 of google for organic search- now you can’t even find me on page 10!

Have attached a stats graph which shows the crazy drop off and in analytics I can see it is exactly on 25 Jan.

I’m happy to do the work to fix it, but I don’t know what to do.

If anyone has any links on what you need to do to fix your website when it is affected by a panda update I would really appreciate it.

Tiggerito
    • Total posts: 362
    Up

You really want to dig deeper and find out what you were ranking for before (pages/keywords) and what you lost. It may give you a clue on what parts of the website caused your problem.

Panda is about content quality. One of the first thing I check on an ecommerce site is if the product descriptions are original or just copied from the manufacturer. If a high percentage of your website is not original then why should Google send people to it? So Panda may weed out those sorts of websites.

I did a quick test on yours. I Googled a phrase from one of your products: “A very cute wall decal for decorating a nursery.” (keep the quotes). It seems in your case you are the originator for descriptions which are copied by resellers. And shopwiki is mass duplicating that phrase.

You’re not doing anything wrong but Google might have got the wrong end of the stick and decided you were a copier and started sending people to your resellers instead. And this may have caused Panda to switch on.

Another possible Panda attractor is to have pages where most of the content is the same. e.g.

http://www.coolartvinyl.com.au/bridge-view-door-skin-p-570.html
    http://www.coolartvinyl.com.au/penguin-door-skin-p-573.html

And what looks like loads more products using mostly the same description. I’d suspect that is more likely the cause of a Panda penalty. Mas internal duplication with little original content on each page.

It’s a common problem and hard work to solve. You need lot’s more original content for each product.

To avoid the dealer duplication you could provide dealers with alternate descriptions and let them fight a seperate battle.

The good news is that the Panda algo is being moved into the main algo so will be more of a real-time update instead of occasional. This means you should see improvements faster.

HappyCamper
    Up

Thanks for that informative reply- very helpful.

I can see why it would be a real problem for an eComm site that is providing shopping feeds to shop sites. I have a ClixGalore account with 50 or so affiliates reposting my product feeds.

You would almost be better only supplying titles and images and no descriptions in the feed, if the content is possibly having a negative effect on your own website.

With regards to the content duplication in similar products- that I can work on.

I’ll start now and see if I can crawl back up to the first page for my main keywords!

Thanks again for the reply. I was unsure if it was a linking thing or a content thing, so I’ll have a crack at the content first.

Regards

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Happy,
    As Tiggerito said, Panda is concerned with “thin content”. It is also about “duplicate content”.

What you may want to do is use the rel=”author” meta tag to establish ownership of your page content.

You must publish original content then you can protect it.

Google’s instructions:

This won’t help if you are scraping or duplicating content.

Some other Google info you should read:

Affiliate programs”Our Webmaster Guidelines advise you to create websites with original content that adds value for users. This is particularly important for sites that participate in affiliate programs. Typically, affiliate websites feature product descriptions that appear on sites across that affiliate network. As a result, sites featuring mainly content from affiliate networks can suffer in Google’s search rankings…”

Getting SEO Value From Your Affiliate Links”Google has traditionally sought to not pass value across links that appear to be affiliate based.”

“Matt Cutts: Typically, we want to handle those sorts of links appropriately. A lot of the time, that means that the link is essentially driving people for money, so we usually would not count those as an endorsement.”

Regs,
    JohnW

HappyCamper
    Up

Hi John,

Thanks for that additional detail.

So I have made a plan starting to implement some new content measures, and will no doubt crawl back up.

I have decided to remove the affiliate program entirely. I was not really achieving much sales from it, and even though there might be clicks and impressions, I think it is too high risk for the return at the moment. At a later stage I might consider it again as a part of a strategy, but for now will let it go.

Thanks again for the help.

Snakeman
    Participant
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

Good first post (and replies).
    I just want to add that a key part of the OP’s account is how quickly Google can make or break you if you depend exclusively on them for work.
    I suggest that you (and others) always be aware that what the big G gives, it may take back at any stage.
    All the best

ExecAccess
    • Total posts: 229
    Up

Hi
    I was just about to post something similar myself when I read your post.

We have an e-commerce site and have had a significant decrease in visitors since February.

We have always written original content for our products. Although some things do get duplicated in descriptions. It is hard to keep saying different things about several types of the same item, ie pink tie, red tie, blue tie etc.

Also some of our items may be in more than one product category on our website, ie a leather travel wallet may be under “wallets” “travel goods” and also under the brand.

We have only just started doing some affiliate marketing where our banner ads appear on other websites. But that was after the dip in visitors happened.

Tiggerito
    • Total posts: 362
    Up
    ExecAccess, post: 159720 wrote:
    Hi
    I was just about to post something similar myself when I read your post.

We have an e-commerce site and have had a significant decrease in visitors since February.

We have always written original content for our products. Although some things do get duplicated in descriptions. It is hard to keep saying different things about several types of the same item, ie pink tie, red tie, blue tie etc.

Also some of our items may be in more than one product category on our website, ie a leather travel wallet may be under “wallets” “travel goods” and also under the brand.

We have only just started doing some affiliate marketing where our banner ads appear on other websites. But that was after the dip in visitors happened.

I wouldn’t worry about self duplication too much unless it’s excessive. What you are doing is natural and Google is generally lets it go.

You can clean up your duplication via multiple categories by either dropping the category from the URLs or by using the canonical tag to point to the primary category version.

It’s always good to try and make each page as unique as possible so it can target a new area of your market.

ExecAccess
    • Total posts: 229
    Up
    Tiggerito, post: 159729 wrote:
    I wouldn’t worry about self duplication too much unless it’s excessive. What you are doing is natural and Google is generally lets it go.

You can clean up your duplication via multiple categories by either dropping the category from the URLs or by using the canonical tag to point to the primary category version.

It’s always good to try and make each page as unique as possible so it can target a new area of your market.

Thanks Tony. Much appreciated.

klix media
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

Hey HappyCamper

yes there was panda update on jan which is confirm by google also ..

why it occur .. below could be reason ..

1st) duplicate content
    2nd) low quality content
    3rd) not use of webparameter handling in google webmaster [only experts in seo will get this]
    4th) spammy content ..

well to know that with which your website got effected .. we need to analys your website so you can either reveal your website url here or pm to me ..

so that we could help you at its best to find answer and solution for you ..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.